SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funky5_gw

Who makes basketweave floor tile?

funky5
17 years ago

I'm looking for the traditional basketweave floor tile to put in our bathroom. Can anyone tell me who makes this type of tile?

Thanks so much!

Comments (44)

• jejvtr
    17 years ago

Love basketweave - esp marble!!!

Some found me at various tile places - I ended up doing 1" hex - I think Daltile has ceramic may even have stone basket weave

Here is a link that might be useful: daltile

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

They do-- in small mosaic tumbled marble, but just like anywhere else, it's costly. If you want a larger basketweave, it would still cost in labor, but I don't think quite as much-- have your installer cut it down from 12x12 tiles. It's a time consuming pattern to install, but not all that difficult.

• Related Discussions

Desperately need help w/ marble basketweave floor

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Bill, I'm so so glad you read my post. The grout is a/b 1.5 years old & the joints are a/b 1/16 of an inch give or take. Some part have deeper joints & some are more shallow. Is it possible to just redo the grouting process? Would it stick? Thanks for all your help.
    ...See More

Would Like Feedback on Marble Basketweave Tile Floor

Q

Comments (2)
    I have the same type of flooring in my teenage daughter's bathroom, which should give you a clue as to what type of treatment the floor receives. Dirty shoes, wet towels that sit for days it seems, make up, maybe hair products, who knows. Floor has been down for years and looks just like it did when it was put it. Grout is a darker grey, sealed floor and grout when first put down, but not since. So would say has held up very well.
    ...See More

Wall tile color for grey and white carrara basketweave bathroom floor

Q

Comments (13)
    It is difficult to perceive true colors on a computer monitor - so you ill need to make the final choice. Here are some basket weave floors. There a several companies that make it and in some different color tone variations, so be sure that the wall tile and floor are working well together. You might want to get a sample of the SW Sea Salt and paint a large piece of foam board to set your samples on and look at it in different lighting. The Sea Salt can change colors in different lighting. I think you are thinking of the white ice up the walls, like a wainscot: I have mosaic tile floors, though not the basket weave as it wasn't out when I did mine, and white subway tile walls in two of my bathrooms and plan to do the same in my master someday. They remain more timeless looking than my master, done in early 2000's. I did a decorative trim in one bathroom, and a simple bullnose in the other. I wish I had not done the decorative trim piece, tough it is a bit more ornate than what you are considering.
    ...See More

Basketweave tile trendy?

Q

Comments (42)
    Hey all thanks for all the feedback. We went with the black hex tile and it looks great! This is phase 1 of a full first floor remodel, so trim and doors will be replaced with painted white. I am really pleased with the results. My husband is building the laundry room cabinet and folding table so I will post pictures when that is complete. But here is the attached bathroom. It looks so good. Though I see in the picture, the picture above the towel rack looks red, when it is a complimentary print (same colors) as print over toilet.
    ...See More
  • barb7901
    17 years ago

Crossville makes a traditional basket weave in its Empire series. It's available in many different color combinations. I got it for my bathroom which is going to be put in starting Wednesday!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crossville Tile

• beachcottage
    17 years ago

Ann Sacks has one where the rectangular piece of the pattern is slightly narrower in the middle. Hard to describe, but click the link and then click the tile sample shown to make it larger. When looking at the whole room, this "shaped" tile really accentuates the optical illusion that you normally get with basketweave tiles. It looks very much like a woven floor!

If you're doing a fairly small space, the $38/sf price might be easier to swallow. We have always wanted to incorporate this tile somewhere, but haven't had the opportunity that made sense yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks - Beautiful Basketweave by Michael Smith

• pamdoggie
    17 years ago

I don't know who makes it but I have seen it at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Travis building supply Basketweave tile

• kritlyn
    17 years ago

I am also considering a basketweave pattern. I'd like to find a better price than what I have found thus far.

Here is a link that might be useful: basketweave tile

• bhamilton4589
    17 years ago

I think both Ann Sacks and Walker Zanger have about the same pricing but I think Walker's material are much better in my opinion and they have showrooms and distributors everywhere. I recently visited their site and saw their newly redesigned site. Wow it was nice. I love the flash page flipping thing...pretty neat and easy to use. I wish Ann Sacks and other tile companies has that too! I did a little digging...Preface8 eCatalog is what they use..very cool technology!

Here is a link that might be useful: Walker Zanger

• elenal
    17 years ago

I bought all of my stone basketweave tile from Maestro Mosaic (http://www.maestromosaics.com/) and also some plain marble subway tile from them. The basketweave came in at $19 per sq foot, a real bargain. They don't have prices on their website--you have to call them (phone #on the site). Shipping costs were quite low, and I would definitely deal with them again.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

The basketweave came in at $19 per sq foot, a real bargain.

Holy Cow!! Just a little hint-- for the smaller basketweaves, you definitely want something that's mounted. But for the larger, all you need is a tile where the length is double the width, and any installer worth his salt can install it in a basketweave pattern. Is the installation more expensive then? Yes, but not FIFTEEN DOLLARS A FOOT more!! 3x6, 4x8, 6x12, can all be used to make a basketweave pattern. As for stone floors, the tiles can always be cut down from 12x12 tiles. Again, more labor, but still not what you're spending to buy it already mounted!

• elenal
    17 years ago

You're right, Bill, the basketweave from Maestro Mosiacs was a great price (bought about a a year ago). They gave me the contractor's rate, even though I'm not a contractor (I did offer to have my contractor call them to order, bt in the end they said, OK, we'll just give you the best rate). It did come on the mesh sheets BTW, though my installer did say that it was a bit of a pain to work with nevertheless (I'm not sure why--I think it was bec. some of the tiles had the tendency to fall off the mesh sheets).

• karenburlingame
    17 years ago

Jeffrey Court makes beautiful basketweave tile. Not inexpensive (probably about $25 sq foot)

• steng3
    17 years ago

Does anyone have information on basketweave floor mosaics that look like marble, but are made of ceramic or porcelain tile? I'm especially interested in the black-and-white/grey combination. Any information is greatly appreciated!

• bklyn71
    17 years ago

I saw a ceramic basketweave that looks just like the Ann Sacks -- it was called "dogbone" and it was $10 per sq foot. You might want to check a few tile stores, because I think only the expensive stuff is on the internet.

We are doing a marble basketweave.

• superbad
    17 years ago

I just bought some marble basketweave from tileshop.com. It's an East coast / Midwest chain, but the store closest to me is shipping it. $10/ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• ss454-1969
    16 years ago

I hope someone is thinking of using BasketWeave on their flooring as we are. We saw a make over by Sara Richardson on Room Service (HGTV) not long ago that had the BasketWeave in the Master-Bath with Black Marble and White small squares (1/8" grout lines) that knocked our socks off. We went every where looking for this color combo but everyone had the white with small black squares in marble to the tune of $33.00 per sq. ft. I found on line that will make almost any color combo that your heart desires (or close to) but it was less then half the cost with shipping approx. 10 weeks shipped to our door. I just received my color samples and ready to place my 140 sq ft order this week. Hope this helps, Elden

• ss454-1969
    16 years ago

Here is the email site @ the WArner Werks Inc. "Scott Flinchbaugh" & the cost was $14.50 sq. ft. & shipping runs about $1.00 per sq ft to California. Elden

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Hey all,
    I have been watching an ebay seller who has basketweave tile and will probably buy from him when I get final measurements (any day now, lol).
    He was new to selling when I first spotted the tile, but has good feedback (with one guy in dispute a while back). Everyone else has said good things.
    Shipping is approx $1 per foot to NY, for example. You have to email for a quote.
    I was planning on going with the ceramic dogbone as well, until I found this (and I had also found it for $10 a sq.ft., anything more is too much). Now, I am back to wanting marble after all.
    HTH

ss454-1969 - can you post the website for your tile? I could not find it otherwise.
    Thanks, Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay basketweave

• ss454-1969
    16 years ago

Hi Diana
    Yes, here is the web site

The samples I received were very nice & I'm not sure about other manufactures but this looked nice & even on the 1' sq sheet we received and they say that an extra 5% for waste is plenty. Elden

• ss454-1969
    16 years ago

mosaicsdirect.com is the web site. E

• mle17
    16 years ago

I recently bought the basketweave tile from EBay mentioned in the above post. The tile is very nice and looks exaclty like the tile sold at Mosaics Direct. The price was $10.55/sq. ft. including shipping. They were great to deal with and the tile was packed very nicely.

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

Love this thread. I gave up on basketweave afer seeing the prices out there. I have a quick hijack question: what shape and color wall tile are you using? I am considering a subway in celadon green and was wondering if there was too much in the way of rectangles going on if I used basketweave on the floor?

Thanks,

Teresa

• ss454-1969
    16 years ago

Hi Teresa,
    As you know things can change in a heart beat, but right now we want the Black basketweave with the sm White sq's with kind of a grey grout. The walls are White sub-way tile up approx 42"/44" off the floor as a wainscot with a small tile cap that would run all the way into & around the shower but the sub-way tile would continue up the shower wals and around the opening as well. Not sure on the wall color yet but i'm leaning to some shade of Lt. green, but????
    Our tub in the larger area of the bathroom & is white (No Jets) with a painted white wood panel on the face of the tub wall to the floor. The cabinet for the sink is to be kind of like a dresser with legs/feet in black W/accent designs with doors, drawers, etc & with white marble counter top with 2-rectangular sinks in white, also there will be a slab of white marble that covers the tub and framed short wall. Our house was built in 1925 in Country French so we my go with chrome fixtures to fit the time period even though we like oil rubbed bronze etc.

This is the first time we have made our bathroom 1st on our list to have done the way we want it, hope it comes out for us... HA!
    I would post some pictures of the tile look we want but don't know how to on this site. Elden

• ss454-1969
    16 years ago

Teresa, here is a look at what the fllor looks like, not to clear because I took these off the TV.

• ss454-1969
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1444282}}

A little better look from afar.

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

I realize this is an older post, but need some grout color advice on basket weave. I have the white with the small black squares. My tile guy wants to know what color grout, and I really have no idea. The wall tiles are a subway (3 x 6) in a crackle sage green. Would I use white, grey or black for the grout? I don't know if this matters, but the bathroom also has a leaded glass window so the lead looks black.

BTW, thanks to these great posts, my tile store contacted one of the resources on this site, can't remember which one, and she was able to sell to me for $9.00 a square foot!

Thanks,

Teresa

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Bill or whomever else has an idea about my question. I want to do basketweave, but my budget can't afford it for the entire floor. How can I incorporate basket weave along with another tile and get a nice design? Could I put the basket weave as a boarder or in the center and then use another tile to use in conjuction to keep the cost down. I don't have to pay an installer, DH does that. Thanks for your suggestions.

• tiledepotus
    16 years ago

There is few basketweave tile here

Here is a link that might be useful: Basketweave

• brooklynreno
    16 years ago

I've been searching for a decently priced ceramic basketweave -- I found something called UMI ceramic basketweave at a local tile store -- it's on mesh and $6.95 a square foot. Has anyone ever heard of the company? The website is below. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: UMI Tiles

• slingirl
    16 years ago

I just found ceramic basketweave (after a three year search!) at my local Standard Tile (I live in NJ). I have visited this particular store a few times before, with no luck. I had finally accepted that I would never find ceramic basketweave tile (at a economical price) and was going to go with the Octagon-dot style. Went in to get pricing and right there next to the Octagon-dot was the Basketweave!! It turns out that they just started carrying it in the last couple of months. They have it for $4.95 sq ft. It's closer to the Ann Sacks version, the white tiles are slightly curved. It really gives a woven look. Not sure if I want the un-curved version. Can someone tell me where I can locate the UMI Tiles? Thanks!

• abm760
    16 years ago

Slingirl, do you have a manufacturer name for the basketweave at Standard Tile? I'm not very close to NJ, so traveling there is not an option.

Thanks

• slingirl
    16 years ago

abm760,
    sorry...I asked the salesperson and he did everything to locate the manufacturer's info to no avail. On the sample I have it only says "Thailand". I understand that the UMI tiles are from Thailand but when I looked I saw that they are not the same as the basket weave I have. I plan to order my tiles within the next week so maybe I can get more info then.

• plants4
    16 years ago

Here's a link to Alabama marble which carries basket weave tile. You have to email for the price but the price on their other tile is excellent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama marble basket weave tile

• gunger9355_comcast_net
    16 years ago

I also have been looking for black and white ceramic basketweave and just found it. I paid $5.17 a square foot. The box had a code on it: BWM610. It is also made in Thailand and as I'm also in NJ, my guess is it's the same manufacturer as "slingirl". I bought mine at Creative Tile in East Windsor, NJ.

It was laid today, grouting is tomorrow. It looks awesome!

• slingirl
    16 years ago

gunger,

is your basketweave made of straight pieces or are your white pcs slightly curved? I live in Somerset county and found the tile at Standard Tile of Watchung. I'll try to post some pictures of my sample soon.

• abm760
    16 years ago

A local tileshop in Pittsburgh has a basketweave where the white pieces are slightly curved. On the sample board I didn't care for it as much as pictures of straight ones, and she quoted $12/sq.ft. That doesn't mean it's different that the one you have in NJ, the saleslady was completely unhelpful.

Do either of you have any pictures of the basketweave from Standard Tile?

On another note, a local tile shop says Walker Zenger sells a white and black basketweave, and quoted me $8.70/sq.ft. It wasn't in the brochure and his sample board was loaned out, so I can't say what it looks like.

• slingirl
    16 years ago

Here are the picture of the basketweave sample i have

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/slingirl/IMG_3415.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/slingirl/IMG_3414.jpg

not sure yet how to imbed the pics in my msg...

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

That's really gorgeous stuff for a reasonable price. I'm totally jealous! I like my octagon and dot but basketweave was what I really wanted. SOB :D

• slingirl
    16 years ago

kgwlisa,

thanks so much!

have been lurking for a short time (about a week :) and loved what you did with your b/w bath! just showed my husband the pics of your octagon-dot with black perimeter. Was going to do exactly that but lay the tile on the diagaonal b/c I prefer squares to diamonds. But found the basketweave when I went to order the octagon-dot!

I love the elevations you have of the bathroom. what program do you use?

Thanks again!
    christine

• gunger9355_comcast_net
    16 years ago

slingirl and kgwlisa, I need HELP. My tile is exactly the same as that posted by kgwlisa (how do you post a picture??). What color grout did you use?? My tile guy is grouting tomorrow and I'm undecided. It seems to need something that accentuates the perspective of the basketweave. White just extends the white tile and takes away from the perspective. Natural Grey has a bit of a green cast but looks natural. Other colors like Smoke Grey look good on the sample board but "fake" next to the tile.

HELP! What did you use?? I'd love to post a pic but can't figure out how.

• lisannabelle
    15 years ago

slingirl, did you ever happen to find out who makes your curved basketweave tile? We need to remodel our bathroom pronto, and I really prefer the curved tile (and the great price!). Any help you can provide would be really appreciated. Thank you so much!

• ljake
    15 years ago

www.walkwithstars.com This site is interesting, but try the www.american-medallions.com
    They can make it custom to whatever tile you choose. Not only basketweave, but there are other patterns much more interesting than that for the same price.. They do have a minimum to get the deal for $16/SF CUSTOM!

Here is a link that might be useful: Inner Stars

• kdaren
    15 years ago

check out www.dekotile.com . I have used their tiles on a number of projects, great material and the prices are unbelievable!

Here is a link that might be useful: DEKO Tile

• mary_smith
    14 years ago

I have used Deko tile and a few other online retailers - EBay is really the best place to find good quality Carrara Basketweave Mosaic - there is company on there called BuildersDepotDirect and they have the lowest prices as June 13th $11.50SF for 12x12 mesh Basketweave Carrera mosaic - and with Carrera Chair rail, Carrera Pencil and 3x6" Subway for $7

Here is a link that might be useful: Builders Depot Direct

• paul_marble-depot_com
    13 years ago

We do. Marble, Limestone, Travertine. Custom manufactured. From 20sqft to 2000sqft.

Paul's Marble Depot LLc, Stamford, Conn.