SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bireland_gw

Kohler Tub with Exo-crylic---Any experience?

bireland
9 years ago

We finally selected on the Kohler Archer soaking tub after sitting in the 60 inch model (and much research). We think the 66 inch will be a better size, but it was not in the showroom. It is made from a different material, called exo-crylic, which is lighter.

Checking if anyone has a tub in this new material and are there any problems or benefits? Flimsier? More likely to break? Other?

Thanking you in advance for replies, as well as for all the good info provided on this site.

Comments (21)

• Bongo
    9 years ago

We just installed the same one, but haven't used it yet. I hope it holds up, but I would be curious what others have to say as well...

• bireland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bongo15h,
    Wondering if you have used your tub, yet, and have any further opinions? Thx!

• Bongo
    9 years ago

No, not yet, we are just finishing our tile around the tub. Hopefully within the next month. However, the tub already has a scratch from our tile contractor, so my advice is make sure you protect it during the tile installation as it scratches easier than our cast iron tub in the 2nd bathroom.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    8 years ago

Wondering what the experience is with the new 'Eco-crylic' material that some of the Kohler tubs are made with? It's supposed to outgas 90% less VOCs and is 30% lighter. Would love to know if there is initially a 'chemical odor' to the tub, and if so how long it lasts? If the material wears any differently than previous materials?

• Bongo
    8 years ago

I didn't notice any smell at all, but it was installed by our GC so we were not living in the house for a couple of months after it was installed. As far as the quality/wear - let me just say that I prefer our other cast iron tub more. I mean Acher is not bad, but it does't feel like a real cast iron, it feels a little plasticky… and I think it's turning yellow no matter what I use to clean it…. That's just my opinion...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    8 years ago

Thanks Bongo - I hope I can get a cast iron tub over an acrylic of any kind. It will be for the 2nd floor, so we are still discussing it. I didn't even consider that the acrylic can turn yellow over time. Good info.

• Bongo
    8 years ago

Prairiemoon - this is exactly what we did, we have cast iron on the 1st floor and Archer acrylic on the 2nd floor because it was a lighter tub. But there is no comparison, the cast iron tub wears better and feels better.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    8 years ago

Thanks John - we are going to try to find a 5.5ft tub, but may just stick with the 5ft tub. We were in the store and were able to sit in the 6ft tub and especially when it is a soaker and the water is deep, you need the bottom of the tub to support you. 5ft 11" person doesn't like to take baths either, and two people who are 5'5" who will be using the tub the most.

Bongo - We are discussing with the contractor whether a cast iron can go on the second floor. We want to make things easy on the first floor with a cureless shower. Haven't completely decided that though.

• R J
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi All, just curious and would like to know how your ExoCrylic tubs from KHOLER have been going for these few years. Any cracks/scratches/dents/discolorations ? Easy to clean ? Thanks.

• R J
    3 years ago

Hi All, any updates ? Thanks.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    3 years ago

Before you settle firmly on the Archer, take a look at American Standard's Americast® Cambridge soaking tub. The Kohler wear surface is an acrylic. The Americast wear surface is enameled steel. No matter how acrylic is treated, it is never going to be as tough as enameled or porcelanized steel.

The prices are similar.

Americast is a proprietary American Standard process by which a relatively thin and light-weight steel is reinforced with a composite material for strength and resilience. The result is nearly as durable as cast iron, but at a fraction of the weight. Slightly heavier than fiberglass, but not much.

Lest you think this is an American Standard advertisement, I have to tell you that I am not a big fan of American Standard. It is now majority-owned by LIXIL, a Japanese company, and most products are made in Mexico from Chinese components. The 50,000 American workers who used to make American Standard products in the U.S. have been pared down to 3,000, mostly in its headquarters in New Jersey. Nope, not a big fan at all.

Americast, however, is an exception. It is made in Salem, Ohio in one of the very last American Standard U.S. factories.

I have an Americast tub in one bathroom, a Kohler fiberglass soaking tub tub in the second. There is no contest. The Americast tub looks brand new after 15 years. The Kohler tub is definitely showing signs of age.

For more information of American Standard, and especially its faucets, see our American Standard Faucets Review and Rating.

• R J
    3 years ago

Thanks StarCraft Custom Builders. I heard Americast can chip easily within a few years and once that happens the steel gets rusty.

• PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Like any porcelainize steel, it can chip. But, not "easily". We have been installing enameled cast iron sinks and tubs for 40 years. In that time we had one chip, where the homeowner dripped a hammer on it -- and, no, I won't go into how he managed that trick ...

We fixed the chip.

Fiberglass, on the other hand, is fairly easy to damage. It's also simple to repair, but why buy the problem?

• R J
    3 years ago

Thanks StarCraft Custom Builders. I thought that Americast is enameled steel, not cast iron. Cast iron has much thicker enamel coating than Americast enameled steel.

• PRO
    3 years ago

I did not mean to imply that Americast tubs are cast iron. They are enameled steel over a molded backing that stiffens the steel making it very unlikely to ever dent. The molded backing is the tub's innovation. It gives the steel resistance to denting like cast iron, but at half the weight of cast iron.

• R J
    3 years ago

Thanks StarCraft Custom Builders. I heard that enameled steel has thinner enamel coating which is prone to chipping.

• PRO
    3 years ago

I have never measured the difference between the enamel coat on steel vs. cast iron, if, in fact there is a difference. But I can't imagine they are much different. The technique for applying them is the same.

• R J
    3 years ago

The technique I believe is the same but thickness seems different from what I was told.

• deborakivins
    2 years ago

This conversation has been helpful.

• Pat Walker
    2 years ago

Has anyone had any issues with the Kohler’s ExoCrylic tubs yet?