Artificial Intelligence

cookie8(zone 5 ON)

So, just checking out the news and came across an article on CNN with Elon Musks' opinion on artificial intelligence AND after coming home from a movie which had a preview for The Theory of Everything (Stephen Hawking movie) I have to say I never gave artificial intelligence much thought. I do know that when I see humanoids (video, of course) I feel very uncomfortable with it. I don't think it is a threat in my lifetime but, hmm, what about the future. How much can you create? Do you think something you create can form it's own functioning mind, to think independently, and not by program? Part of me thinks it's just hardware and software but when you have innovative and great minds like these two calling it a danger...I guess the real danger is in the mind of the creators?
Really, no worries (yet, lol) but very curious. Oh, and even more curious Elon Musk is "invested in an artificial intelligence company, Vicarious, a start-up that is working on enabling machines to mimic the human brain".

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labrea_gw

without an unconscious factor it would always lack the capacity or depth that comes from that level of self. In that sense it would lack a secular sort of soul or psyche.

Save    
jmc01

Vicarious is a bit more than a startup, particularly with what they've accomplished to date. The list of their investors includes more than a few names that you'll recognize.

Save    
tormato

It doesn't exist. Computers are not sentient.

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Just don't allow 2 AI Supercomputers to talk to each other, they may come up with the easiest solution for world peace, easy for them, Muhahahaha

The Forbin Project...

Save    
katrina_ellen

AI looks to me like it could be our best friend and our worst enemy. Knowing the unregenerate nature of man, the bad will outweigh the good.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Tech Magic Mirrors Emerge From Fairy Tales
Amazing advancements in computers, interfaces and glass point to a future in which smart surfaces are commonplace in the home
Full Story
Fun Houzz Introducing: Houzz Smartz™
By Houzz
New AI-enabled Houzz products empower homeowners with design help
Full Story
Home Tech How Bluetooth 4.0 Will Change Remote Control
Manage lights, TV, refrigerators and more through your phone or tablet when the latest wireless technology rolls into all your home devices
Full Story