SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grass_cat

Concerns about not having a licensed home improvement contractor

grass-cat
9 years ago

Frustrations with first home build and concerns about not having a licensed home improvement contractor...

A family member was dead set on hiring a certain person to build our home; let's call this person Tony. Tony told us that he builds homes, and others refer to him as a builder. I told my family member to please take their time to read the contract and check Tony's credentials/references before signing the contract, but my family member hurried and signed it (having trust in Tony).

When I checked Tony's license, it shows that his Home Improvement Contractor (HIC) license expired many years ago, though he has an active Home Improvement Salesperson license. And the owner of this business doesn't have any license (his builder's license expired many years ago).

There are licensed workers on the site, but I'm not sure if Tony has performed any work that requires a HIC license, since we are not at the build site. Tony is painting the interior, installing cabinets, countertops, doors, and he created the blueprints. So I'm not sure if the work he's performing falls under the scope of his home improvement salesperson license.

Should Tony have a Home Improvement Contractor license, or is it normal to have a licensed Home Improvement Salesperson manage a new home build as described above? We would have wanted a licensed builder managing this project. Everyone, including the retailers we've dealt with, address Tony as "the builder."

And the frustrations...Already, big mistakes have been made. Tony charged us for a blueprint in which he made a huge mistake and had to re-do the blueprint. He failed to make a wall a certain length according the the plans & computer graphic model (this wall length was very important for the layout of a room, and now we're stuck with a layout that looks bad & isn't as functional); he refused to correct this problem, and it would have cost thousands to fix at the point that the mistake was noticed.

By the way, how much time does your builder give you to choose your flooring, paint colors, cabinets, etc?

Thanks for any answers & advice, as we are new to this.

Comments (2)