SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiemw

bathroom hell (blue tub, pink tiles), redo help needed

susiemw
12 years ago

Hi all,

I bought a small lake cottage that has a small hideous bathroom that needs to be totally redone. This is the only bathroom in the house.

The previous owner had a tub with a handheld shower attachment but not a true shower.

Beautiful blue tub with pink tiles that are falling off:

storage space adjacent to tub... is as deep as the tub so it's impossible to reach things in the back of these shelves:

space under the sink has room only for the plumbing.

Under the counter that is behind the tub in this photo is the area that houses the well pump. so the piece of counter

has to be removable to get to the pump. That is also why the "doors" that were in front of the plumbing is also removable.

the open space is problematic.... it needs to be walled in somehow so I can have a shower but we also need to retain access to the well pump.

the toilet doesn't sit flush with the floor but sits higher by an inch or so and I have no idea why there are no tiles around the toilet base:

This is what makes the bathroom worth redoing:

The ceiling has water damage and tiles falling down so that needs to be replaced and the light fixture needs to be recentered over the open area rather than sitting closer to the shower area so I can install a small ceiling fan.

I have had the roof replaced so the leaks should be done with. the little window over the sink is new.

Darn, forgot to take a picture of the storage cabinet that is above the tub and runs the entire length of the wall.

there is very little storage space in the house so while it would be nice to keep it but it sits so low that at 5'4" tall my head is almost touching the ceiling (bottom of the cabinets) over the tub. First things first, these cabinets have to be removed.

I can't afford to gut everything and put in the bathroom I"d like because other parts of the house (particularly the kitchen) also needs major work.

any suggestions for me?

how to wall in that open area?

tile or shower surround?

since the toilet doesn't sit flush with floor what has to be done to correct/repostion that?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I've never had to do anything like this so even the most obvious may not be obvious to me.

Susan

Comments (6)