SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
everyreggie

Help with tile for an uneven floor!!!!

everyreggie
12 years ago

Ok so I am planning on tiling our floor in the kitchen but was advised to post in here as this is where the best tilers hang out!!

I want to tile my floor with a pinwheel mosaic tiles sheet that is 12" x 12". Needless to say there are a ton of grout lines to worry about so I consulted the pro's. One has told me that my floor is very uneven and crowns in the middle of the floor and slopes down on each side from there. We discussed hardi backer but he said that the grout will for sure crack over time plus with this tile choice we will see every bump.

He said the best thing to do is float the floor by using a damp but not wet cement (think wet coffee grounds) and then scraping it level like you would a driveway?? He said he would put down chicken wire first to give it some structure. He believes this is better than doing self leveling cement and he can add a polymer to make it a little flexible so the grout won't crack.

Does this sound right??? will the grout crack at the high point of the floor because there is very thin cement there or is this the best way to go. The floor right now seems pretty solid and doesn't seem to have very much flex at all.

I looked under the house at the joists and it doesnt seem as though there is room to shim. i am trying to avoid pulling the sub floor up and have a little over 1/2" of space to work with to keep it level with the hardwood in the dining room.

Any help is deeply appreciated!!!!

Comments (7)