SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tartanhabit_gw

Not sure my contractor used caulk where he should have

tartanhabit
15 years ago

I got home from work today to find my bathroom grouted and I am concerned that despite many conversations, the contractor did not use caulk where I thought it was appropriate to. I think this because the caulk I wanted him to use is unopened. Please advise on this situation, if you can:

We have penny rounds on the shower floor and the shower is enclosed by three walls tiled with large tiles that meet the shower floor.

My understanding is that the contractor should have used caulk around the perimeter of the shower floor, where the penny rounds meet the walls - correct? Maybe this is difficult because penny rounds naturally have quite a large amount of space around each round?

I specifically gave the contractor 2 tubes of caulk; one sanded for the perimeter of the shower floor, one unsanded for the corners of the walls. Only the unsanded caulk tube has been used. The sanded tube is still sitting there unopened.

I can't get up close in the bathroom as it's taped off, presumably while this all dries.

If it turns out that the shower perimeter wasn't caulked but grouted only, am I certain to have cracks in no time?

What would have been the correct way to do all this? Thanks for any advice.

Comments (2)