SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rkalish

First set of design drawings

rkalish
12 years ago

Have been lurking on the boards for a few months now, soaking in the advice and design trends. Finally have the first set of drawings from my architect and ready to start the iterations. Bit of background - this is our first attempt at a project like this and are a bit scared. Are scaling up in size from my current house. We are a family of 5 with 3 over 18 daughters. Figure they will all be with us a few more years and then the will have grand-kids to entertain. So, this is the house of our dreams. Found property near our current house that we will be tearing down and building new. It is a lot 150 (wide) X 140 (deep) flat land on a quiet block. Back of the house faces south with plenty of sun.

We are building a pretty traditional shingle house, that I was looking to keep around 4500 sq ft.

1st floor - living room, dining room, kitchen, den,powder room, laundry, pantry, spare bedroom w/ full bath

2nd floor - 3 large bedrooms w/2 baths + master suite

full basement - exercise room, den/hangout room, storage, 1/2 bath

yard - want to put in large pool.

Back roof will be solar PV - trying to keep shape as simple as possible.

I'm already loving the constant doodles I do all day designing and now I have drawings to work with. So am looking for feedback. The areas I would like to get some comments on are:

1- overall layout. Is it space efficient and does the flow work? I was trying to stay a bit smaller than the 4800 sq ft it's current at.

2 - the main hallway. As you enter the house, the view straight ahead is two doorways - small den opening under the stairs and larger kitchen opening. The architect is not crazy about it either. Also not sure if I like the barrel vault to the dining room as it pushes the stairs to the left and creates the issue with the dual openings.

3 - kitchen - I like the space and layout of the kitchen, but feel like it is wasting a bit of the sunlight from the rear by only having the sink window and the double door behind the table.

4 - the master suite. The BR is too large (15 feet is better distance to the TV). The closet is too small, and the toilet is about 38 feet from my bed. If the downstairs hallway was moved 1 foot to the right, the bedroom would fit nicely in the front of the house (15 feet wide) and I think might open up new ideas.

That's the areas I'm concentrating on for now. Any comments, critiques and ideas are greatly appreciated. Sorry about the labels on the rooms being scrambled - seems to be some font issue in chief architect viewer. I did label the laundry and pantry with text.

Thanks again.

Comments (20)