SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Possible to use built-in appliances before they are built in?

kaysd
13 years ago

We are moving into a new (to us) house in 2 weeks. The kitchen will eventually need a full re-model due to 1960Âs cabinets, 80Âs tile counters and ancient appliances. We want to live in the house for a while before we do anything major, so it will be months, if not a year or more, before we do the kitchen.

The kitchen does not have a microwave, which is an appliance we use regularly. We have an Advantium 120 OTR in the house we are selling and love it, except that the handle gets hot when we use the range. I plan to put in a wall unit this time. The Sears Outlet near us has the GE Profile Advantium 120-volt 27" Wall Oven for 50% off right now. I asked the sales guy if I could use it on the counter until we re-model, and he said he didnÂt know why not since it has a plug rather than being hard wired. It wouldnÂt look great sitting on the counter, but the kitchen is ugly anyway.

Also, the refrigerator is ancient and we may need to replace it right away. In our old house, we have a 36" wide free-standing, counter-depth fridge that our cabinet guys surrounded so it looks almost built-in. Now that we have a child, the 36" wide fridge feels a little small. I would love to bump up to 42" wide, but cannot find any free-standing models that size. Liebherr makes a 48" model, but that may take up too much space and limit our kitchen design options. Another outlet near us has a Thermador 42" discontinued model for $2,200 less than the price of the model that replaced it (and I like the old handle better). I really like the looks of this fridge, inside and out, but am not sure if I can use it like a free-standing fridge until we get new cabinets built.

I would love any feedback on whether this is feasible or any alternatives. We are going to miss our current kitchen a lot when we move.

Comments (4)