SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laranbrian

side by side ranges- bad idea?

laranbrian
13 years ago

Hi all.

The amount of good information moving through this board is just staggering. I thought I'd pose a kind of weird idea to the collective wisdom of the group; is it a completely silly idea to have two 30" ranges butted next to each other instead of a single 60" range? I ask this because it seems that the price of these things increases exponentially after 30" in width.

My wife and I are doing a major kitchen remodel and would like the flexibility of two ovens and a larger cooking surface. The layout of the kitchen has plenty of counter space, but is way low on wall space, making a stacked double oven difficult to place.

Thanks!

Comments (44)

• idrive65
    13 years ago

I saw a photo of two 30" ranges side by side in a magazine a few years ago, so someone has done it. Probably a lot easier to maneuver the smaller ranges into place, as well. You would have to adjust electricity and gas supply for two devices.

• gizmonike
    13 years ago

Not only would two 30" ranges be easier to place, but you'd have flexibility on the rangetop configuration: you could order a combination of griddle on one, grill on the other, or all burners on one, griddle or grill on the other, or all burners for both.

We have a 66" cooking area because we chose to flank a 36" all gas 6-burner DCS range with a single burner induction cooktop on one side & teppanyaki griddle/grill on the other. We also have a combi-steam oven stacked over a 27" electric convection wall oven.

• Related Discussions

Leaded glass transom + side lites a bad idea for W/SW door?

Q

Comments (5)
    Yes, the leaded glass lasted, but that does not mean it was energy efficient. I also don't know if the leading that was used back then is the same leading that is currently used as far as chemical makeup. I do know that when I took in the English leaded glass from the 1930's to get repaired/expanded, I was told the new sections would have thinner lead as the thicker lead they originally were made with is not available.
    ...See More

48' side by side fridge-Viking, GE monogram?

Q

Comments (7)
    "Perhaps you are used to a smaller deli drawer in a freestanding fridge and having a hard time seeing how it will work to have something different?" lascatx-yes-guilty as charged ;) I guess I don't need them exactly eye level, but so many just seemed to have only the drawers at the very bottom and I'm trying to get away from stuff rotting out of sight/out of mind in the bottom of the fridge! If I'm remembering right, reasons I ruled out the Thermador were: 1) It didn't have the higher deli drawers 2) the curved, contemporary Thermador logo panel on the exterior and 3) I didn't find them to be quite as well lit inside as the Viking and the Monogram. Honestly, if I could get the Theramador without their curvy logo but with something more "commercial" looking like the open grille look of the Viking/Monogram, I might consider them. I have read good things about their fridges, so thanks for encouraging me to take a second look. maks 2000-That is interesting. I was quite shocked at the high price tag of the Monogram fridge. I still think of "GE" as more budget friendly because it doesn't enjoy the cachet of the higher end brands, but it cost almost as much as the Viking. Thank you both for posting! Dawn
    ...See More

Screened in porch added to the side of the house – good or bad thing?

Q

Comments (10)
    It’s more common to see the wrap around type of front porch where part of the porch is screened and part left open. For an independent side porch there are several examples of a porte cochere on the side of traditional homes where the roofline is level with the front porch, t he look would work for a screened porch addition. Sometimes there is a deck above, or a 2nd floor addition, maybe a sleeping porch on top of the screened porch. A one story pitched roof would depend on the upper windows on the side.
    ...See More

Need ideas to cover exposed side of Bosch slide-in range. No OEM part.

Q

Comments (28)
    I have to say, I grew up with a stove that had no counter on one side and no one was ever burned due to reaching up to it. If you have children that would be likely to put their hands up on the stovetop, though, consider induction: the pans get hot, but the burner itself does not.
    ...See More
  • aprince
    13 years ago

Savvy idea. You will need 2 electrical hookups

• gizmonike
    13 years ago

And 2 gas hookups. Electrical depends on whether you choose all-gas or dual-fuel for the ovens.

• laranbrian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to hear that the idea wasn't totally crazy! It sounds like Gizmo really took the concept to the nth degree. That's a pretty versitile setup you have!

Adding utilities to the area is a non-issue because we're redoing most all the electrical in the house in conjunction with the kitchen work.

Thanks for the input. I'm glad to hear that this is a viable option!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Definitely saw this on a show on HGTV for a remodel for a larger family, so, yes, it does work.

• chesters_house_gw
    13 years ago

I looked at a house a few years ago that had three! They ran a catering business (legal) out of their house.

• country_smile
    13 years ago

We also considered that option but in the end we went with a different layout. If you click on the link below after scrolling through several photos you'll see an example of two ovens side by side. (However, in that photo I don't care for the placement of the two ovens within the mantel area.)

Have you seen the IKEA commercial with the two wall ovens, at a higher height, side by side?

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 ovens

• wekick
    13 years ago

Someone posted about this awhile ago and I can't find it, but it seemed that there had to be a minimal space between the two. I would check with the manufacturer to make sure.

• laranbrian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The design of the ranges would be very important. I'd want to go with something that had grates that extended as close the the edge of the unit as I could to help minimize the visual discontinuity of having two separate appliances acting as one.

Gizmo, how are your appliances installed? Are the drop in, slide in, or freestanding? Was there any unusual cabinet/counter work required?

Country smile- I love the exterior of that house! I agree with you on the placement of the two side-by-side wall ovens. It seems kind of weird.

Thanks for your help!

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

Doing 2 ranges seems like a less expensive choice from the outside, but once you take into consideration all of the requirements for the setup, a single 60" range might actually be less money.

The venting and the utility connections will be the expensive part, not the ranges. If you're choosing gas, that will be 2 separate high demand hookups. That may require a brand new supply from the meter to the range location or it may require a new supply from the utility itself depending on the BTUs of the ranges you choose and the amount your utility is able to supply. If you choose electric, then you'll need 2 240 volt 40 to 50 amp circuits, which if you're in an older home, won't work with the traditional 100 amp service. It would be difficult with a 200 amp service if other major home items are electric as well. It will definately need new wires run from the breaker box to the range location, and it may need new wires from the pole to the service entrance and new breaker boxes as well. It's best to get a professional electrician/plumber to give you an estimate NOW at the planning stage before you've sunk too much time and hopes into a configuration that will be too difficult or too costly to work.

Then, there's the venting. While I suppose you could just use 2 freestanding vent units over the ranges for economics sake, it's going to look really strange if you do that. If you choose 2 inserts united by a single decorative hood, that hood surround will be custom for sure, and it can be a pretty penny with the 2 inserts. That will mean 2 holes through your roof or 2 exits through the side wall of your home. Or, if you go with a higher powered single insert capable of covering the 2 ranges, you're talking about a higher dollar choice, but the roof penetrations and hood cover would at least be more "stock".

2 ranges is a great idea from a functionality standpoint, but don't think it's really going to save you money.

• laranbrian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are some very important points that I overlooked. Thankfully, we are upgrading just about all of the utilities in the entire house as a part of the remodel. For example, 75% of the house has knob-and-tube wiring. We're pulling all of that and replacing with upgraded wiring. We are also installing a furnace in the attic space right next to the kitchen and I think we have space to stub in dedicated gas lines for the appliances. We are currently on a 200 amp panel. Beefing up our electrical service as a part of this remodel isn't out of the question. We are also having the whole roof redone so popping a new vent shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I can see that if one were to consider this approach as its own project these issues would make it a no-go. Even in my situation it still may be a no-go. We'll see what the contractors think!

Thanks for the reality check Live Wire!

• idrive65
    13 years ago

The venting requirements are the same whether you have a single 60" range or 2-30" ranges, aren't they?

• gizmonike
    13 years ago

The venting would be the same.

We have two Ventahood liner units, covered by a stainless steel "hood" constructed by a local sheetmetal shop. The shop also did a SS backsplash behind the cooking area, "hood" over the cleanup sink, & SS countertop. The range is freestanding, and the pullouts below the cooktops are wood cabinets clad in SS on the front.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I've seem it done by people who were keeping kosher and didn't want to confuse the help. I think there had to be a dividing area between the ranges, but then old ranges got hot on the outside and I think new ones are better insulated. One way I've seen it is with a large, mantel style custom hood for the whole area. That one had something like 12"-15" between the ranges which they used for small cooking appliances, like a deep fryer. Actually, it might be a bit wider. I'm going from memory. And I'm not sure all code would allow the outlet. Another one had obtuse angled walls with a filler in the corner where the ranges met. Each had it's own hood. You could only use one at a time, but, being kosher, they only needed to use one at a time.

I don't think I've seen one with the ranges right next to each other, but if the manufacturer and building code don't mind, I don't see why not!

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

Well, the venting wouldn't be exactly the same. The reason given for the choice is driven by budget rather than doing something custom because of certain needs. Two budget type ranges (Say, $1500 each, so 3K total) wouldn't need the ventilation requirements as would two prosumer type ranges. However, because of the size of the two, only a prosumer type custom vent setup would work, say 3-5K for venting with the inserts, blower, and vent cover. You couldn't just put two standard $150 under cabinet 300 CFM vents above the two budget ranges. Well, I guess you could, but it wouldn't be an attractive look unless the two ranges were in separate locations intentionally rather than butted together.

Using two budget ranges and having to go to custom hood inserts and covers defeats the purpose of using two budget ranges. So, if budget is the consideration rather than increased utility, two ranges is a less budget friendly choice than a single $6K 48" 2 oven range with a 1K good quality hood. You wouldn't need the complication of the additional insert or roof vent or upgraded service then, so overall, it'd be cheaper.

• dianne47
    13 years ago

I think yours is a smart idea and will have to end up saving money, depending on what ranges you choose. I've just bought the TOL Maytag Gemini (I'm not much of a cook) and two of those would absolutely save money over any 60-inch range. And the likelihood of both going out at once would be super minimal, so you would always be able to cook. I would say go for it.

• idrive65
    13 years ago

LWO, I see what you are saying, but since the OP didn't say anything about using "budget" appliances, my assumption is that he is comparing within the same brand. Two 30" pro ranges vs a single 60" pro range. I don't think you can find a 60" range for $6k, but you can get two 30" pro-style ranges for that.

• gizmonike
    13 years ago

At one point I was considering a 60" range, but couldn't believe how much more expensive it was compared to the same brands of 30" ranges. Clearance for getting the 60" range into the kitchen is also a consideration.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Laran

Click on the link below -

Google Shopping 60" pro gas range

Here is a link that might be useful: 60

• ellene613
    13 years ago

2-range kitchens are pretty common around here -- I live in a religious Jewish neighborhood. We have 2 ranges (30" and 24" Bluestars) in our kosher kitchen, located on separate runs. In my kitchen design business I've specced multiple ranges several times, but never right next to each other because in a kosher kitchen you don't want meat juices to splatter onto milk, or vice versa. You would want to check with the manufacturer to see if you would need any clearance if you want to put them side-by-side.

Our venting costs were high due to the placement of one of the ranges on a peninsula. We did not have to upgrade the gas, and our antiquated electrical would have need upgrading no matter what we did.

• plllog
    13 years ago

While I agree with LWO about putting two below cabinet hoods next to each other--it would look pretty bad--I have seen standard, chimney hoods put next to each other on TV (I think on one of those contest shows where they do have a series of ranges in a row) and it didn't look bad. The ducting would need to be worked out, but the hoods can be had in the range of $1000 each.

• laranbrian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Such an outpouring of support! Thanks so much for all the input. I didn't even consider the kosher inspired demand for dual cookstation kitchens...

There are some 60" ranges that aren't too expensive, but I thought that getting two 30"'s would be more bang for the buck and eaiser to manhandle. Ventilation for the dual 30"'s would be treated as ventilation for a single 60".

I think for us it may be best to look into the 60" units. The twin 30"'s sounded like it might work, but, then again, it might not. For only a few thousand more we could roll with a 60" unit and not have to worry about anything....

Gizmo- NICE SETUP! =)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Well, you don't have to have separate stoves to keep perfectly kosher. It's just a lot easier than constantly kashering.

The 60" is a good idea. :) But one advantage of your dual 30" idea is that if one of them were on the fritz the other might still be working... :)

• Isaac Wong
    8 years ago

We're having a house built with 2 ranges side by side. The tricky part is that most slide-in's have that stupid lip to cover the seam with the counter top. You cant put 2 of these together without creating quite a gap. There are only 3 ranges (not in the pro range) we could find that have neither the lip NOR the ugly back control monstrosity of "free standers" : kitchenaid (KSDB900ESS), Jennair (JDS1450DS) and a GE Café. As to the advantage: these, being not in the PRO series, cost significantly less at around $3000. Two of these would therefore come in at significantly less than any 60" PRO style range. And you get a lot more oven space, more burners, the ability to mix and match electric and gas if you so desire, The only drawback on paper is that the max output on these non-PRO's are 19k btu (but you get 2 from the 2 ranges), whereas in the PRO lines you can get 20k btu burners. But, hey, with the 2 ranges you get 10 burners. Personally, I find all of the PRO lines of home ranges to be a royal rip off. So am more than happy to thumb my nose at them with this 2 range setup. (Just one of my pet peeves with respect to "designer" kitchen appliances that dish out more price than function, regardless of looks. Don't even get me started on counter-depth fridges)

• Heather 11
    7 years ago

Which one did you go with @issac wong?

• irvin m
    7 years ago

I thought about this, the possibilities are endless, I wouldn't just put two regular 30" ranges next to each other, I would do one with a griddle and or grill and then a 4 or 5 burner unit for the other side..

I thought about this because when looking at ranges, it seems you can buy 2 30's for what a 48" costs...

• geoffrey_b
    7 years ago

If you put a cabinet in the middle (12 - 15") then you would have a place to lay cooking utensils, etc.

• irvin m
    7 years ago

cabinet in the middle is nice, but then the hood would have to be HUGE...

• Isaac Wong
    7 years ago

huger, lol. Geoffrey, truth be told, how often will you use all 10 burners at once? The luxury of the side by side is having the space to spread out so the pots and pans aren't nudging each other off-center on all the burners. I use the movable griddle to place utensils on, and that works great.

• Plowman Painting
    6 years ago

I'd also like to put 2 side by side and would like to see a closer pic from Isaac Wong if possible please

• Isaac Wong
    6 years ago

Hi Plowman Painting, here they are. Still loving the setup.

• gotgoatmilk
    6 years ago

My mother in law had that for years. She had one gas stove and one electric range. I thought it was brilliant.

• Jenny Huang
    6 years ago

Hi Issac Wong, when you use both stoves at the same time....does it heat up the kitchen super fast? what kind of range hood did you end up going with?

Thanks!!

• Isaac Wong
    6 years ago

Nope, no issues -- have used both ranges AND both ovens plus 1 warming drawer at the same time. I have a 60inch Vent-a-hood.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

If I had the space, side by side wall ovens with separate cooktops would be the way to go. Bending down to get stuff out of the oven is a pain.

• dondon70
    6 years ago

We're doing a new build and also considering the 2 ranges, or at least 1 range and a cooktop, side by side. The main reason is to get both induction and gas cooking surfaces. There are some instances where one fits what we are cooking better than the other.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Isaac Wong: did you have to have your vent hood specially designed?

I’m about to do a kitchen renovation and want to do a side-by-side like you for the same exact reason you shared.

What vent hood did you go with? Is your warming drawer part of the oven set up or a separate appliance?

Than you for sharing all those helpful pictures and updates.

• jenniferflug
    3 years ago

@dondon70 did you end up doing two ranges? We want the same thing - ability to cook with induction and gas. Unfortunately Wolf doesn’t make a single unit so we are thinking of a 30” induction range next to a 30” gas range.

• dondon70
    3 years ago

@jenniferflug No, we didn’t. Ended up with just an induction cooktop. For a number of reasons, we decided not to hook up a gas line to the house. All in on electric...

• acdclosgatos
    2 years ago

TO --- Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

If you read the through the thread (it is long) then you see that Issac Wong used a 60" Vent-a-Hood.

"Isaac Wong

4 years ago

Nope, no issues -- have used both ranges AND both ovens plus 1 warming drawer at the same time. I have a 60inch Vent-a-hood."

I'm pretty certain Isaac Wong used either:

1. 60" Vent-a-Hood PRH18460SS

or

2. 60" Vent-a-Hood PRH18M60SS which has less CFM than first hood

Here is a great list of Vent-A-Hood 60" wide options:

https://www.uakc.com/cooking/hoods/wall-mount-hoods/?resperpage=90&results=16&TYPE%5B%5D=wall-mount-hoods&Brand%5B%5D=Ventahood&CFM%5B%5D=1200+-+1300&Width%5B%5D=60&WADbSearch1=Submit

• kaseki
    2 years ago

Installation instructions for island trim cooktops and ranges must be carefully read for any requirements for non-combustible walls behind them, as the term refers to the entire depth of the wall. Otherwise, for conventional construction (wood studs) backguards or risers are required.