SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mhagerty12345

Review of Samsung 29 Cu. Ft. French Door Fridge

mhagerty
14 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a several months researching. I just recently purchased all new appliances (Samsung 29 cu. ft., fridge, Electrolux Electric Wave control freestanding range, KitchenAid microwave and KitchenAid dishwasher) and wanted to review them and share my thoughts to help out others that have helped me. Sorry for the long review but I wanted to be sure to cover everything.

I'm going to review each of them in separate posts as I think it will make it much easier for folks to do a search in the future.

The Refrigerator

Ok, first up, the Samsung 29 Cu. Ft. French Door Fridge (model number RFG297AAS Stainless Steel). This fridge replaces an Amana SXS that came with the house we purchased 2 years ago and had been in the house for 8 years prior. The Amana worked great and the ice maker was a horse and stored a ton.

First, the appearance of the Samsung is very nice, love the look. It's not a built-in so you can see about 6" of the fridge on one side but because the color of the sides are grey I think it looks pretty good. It would be a great option if you could have the sides stainless as well, but no big deal.

I knew a long time ago that I wanted a French door fridge as I was sick of the SXS, just not enough room on either side. The Samsung is huge, after transferring all of our food over we still had what looked like a half empty fridge (we have four people, 2 adults and two kids). The layout of the inside of the fridge is fantastic, very organized. There are plenty of door shelves for a verity of different sized items. They really used every space they could.

The adjustable spill proof shelves are great, the engineering that went into them are a breath of fresh air. The way that the top right shelf slides under the back half so that you can store tall items is a great idea. There is also a small half shelf attached to the side of the ice maker that folds up so you have another option of storing tall items as well, another great idea. The two drawers glide smoothly and are decent size. The large long pantry drawer is excellent and has its own climate control with 3 settings as well as a divider for the drawer if you need/want it.

Lighting

The lighting in the fridge is fantastic. As I was shopping around I noticed that a lot of the new fridges were using LED lighting which I think is great and they are very energy efficient (I have several LED fixtures in my home). The LED light in this fridge is bright and even throughout the entire fridge.

The Samsung also have what it calls "twin cooling plus" I think some folks think that means that it has two compressors (one for the fridge and one for the freezer) but I don't think that's the case I think that means that is has two different evaporators so that the compartments do not share the same air/ smells, a very good thing.

Ice maker

Now on to the ice maker, from the reviews I've read the two main complaints were not enough ice and the ice maker was loud when dropping the ice. As far as not making enough ice it's hard for us to tell at this point because we use a lot more ice in the summer than we do in the winter so we will see. However, it has been keeping up with ice we have needed so far. I followed the directions to the letter in the manual for the start-up ice making process hopefully this helps. The second complaint, the noise of the dropping ice is true; it's loud as the cube hits the plastic bin. With that said, it's just not a big deal to us (having two kids give you the ability to tune out quite a bit).

Freezer

It's huge! The freezer drawer pulls our effortlessly. Love the top easy sliding drawer and the bottom compartment is great. It comes with a divider that you can move around to help you separate your stuff.

LED control panel

The front control panel is very easy to use; love the blue lights (It matched my other appliances that I have). It has an energy saver function, a door alarm, power cooling for the fridge and the freezer, an ice off button and a light button. A soft touch is all you need to select one of the options and it makes a very pleasant tone with your selection. There are also larger buttons for selecting the ice or water function.

Water function

I have to say that the water function works very well; the water is very cool (not cold) and comes out fast! Our Amana the water came out so slow that is was frustrating. There is also a filter in the fridge as well and replacement filters seem to run about $32, not sure how that compares to other refrigerators. The manual states that depending on usage and water quality you will need to replace the filter every six months. I'm hoping to get more out of it than that as we have a whole house filter.

Overall operation

I have had this fridge for about 12 weeks now and we have no issues at all. When the fridge was first turned on it cooled very quickly, we were able to put our food into it within an hour. You can set the temp of the fridge through the LED panel on the front and it reached the temps I set for both the fridge and freezer quickly but just as important it's holding those temps with no problem. The fridge also comes with several dividers, egg holder and wine shelf, all nice options. We really don't use any of them except for the dividers but having the options are great. Also this fridge is very quiet we just don't hear it.

Rating

I give this fridge a 10 on a scale of 1-10. It meets and exceeds all of my core needs with the most important things being capacity, ability to cool, hold a temp and design. In addition, the interior and exterior designs are both efficient and stylish. Now if the ice maker cannot keep up with us in the summer then I would lower the score to 9, I give no deduction for the occasionally loud cube falling.

Possible improvements

A few improvements/additions that Samsung could add would be the ability to see the temp of the fridge and freezer all the time not just for the five seconds when you select the option. If there is a way to address the noise of an ice cube falling into the plastic bin that would be nice although I'm not sure how you would do that, maybe some sort of pad on the bottom of the bin.

If in fact the ice maker does not make enough ice then they would need to address that in future models, this will be a bigger deal from some than others. That's about all I can think of and none of these issues (minus the ice production that's still out for discovery) affect my score at all.

Comments (37)