SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Why would GC put in Delta valves when we specified Kohler???

bridget helm
10 years ago

I posted this over in plumbing, but there is more action over here. I'm feeling quite impatient at this point.

I am serving as the designer to the homeowners for a renovation guest house project. The house is around 25 years old. They have hired me to make most of the decisions. However, they have specified all Kohler plumbing from the very beginning.

For the shower downstairs we specified Kohler Pinstripe cross handle handheld showerhead and valve trim in Polished Nickel. For the shower upstairs, we specified Kohler Memoirs Cross handle valve trim in vibrant brushed bronze with a matching Kohler handheld and rain tile. This was given to the GC as well as his office manager in a spreadsheet with the model numbers in DECEMBER at his office manager's request.

Today I met with GC to discuss cabinets etc., and during a walk through of one of the bathrooms, he nonchalantly told me that the plumber had to put in Delta valves due to water pressure, and that I'd have to pick out a Delta valve trim for the downstairs bath and a Delta trim and diverter for upstairs, but not to worry because the finishes are the same. So, I took it in stride until I got to the Delta showroom.

The lines of the Kohler pinstripe faucets do not coordinate with any of the Delta or Brizo collections at all. I am also worried about Kohler's vibrant brushed bronze not matching with Delta's champagne bronze.

Can you give me any reason as to why the GC would have HAD to use Delta valves?? Is he lying about the pressure? I can't tell you how many hours I have put into the faucet selections from the drain to the supply elbow. They coordinate with these moroccan beams that go across the ceiling and with the lines of other elements in the house. We chose a gorgeous New Ravenna stone mosaic that is $100/sf to go up one entire bathroom wall. The faucets coordinate with the lines of the mosaic.

It's not just some plain old house. It has a presence with 20 foot wood windows and grand solid arched beams supporting the roof and wide cedar planked walls and ceilings with 2 wet bars and a 7 foot wide fireplace. It is a grand, beautiful home and the homeowners want the best. I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to coordinate such a home with owners that want and can afford top of the line. Thus, I'm really upset that the builder threw this wrench in the plan today.

Am I overreacting? Because of the type of house it is and because the owners specified Kohler, I don't think I am. The problem is, I don't know how to fix it. Can the plumber take out the Delta valves and replace them with Kohler valves? Is there really a water pressure issue, that only Delta valves can "solve"?

This GC is supposed to be one of the best in town, but I feel like I'm being swindled by him.

Comments (34)