SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camillaworden_gw

Use Viking stove or purchase new induction cooktop w wall ovens?

camillaworden
10 years ago

Bought a 2002 lightly-used Viking 48" stove (VIV 1200) w two ovens (one big, one small), griddle and 6 burners from a friend thinking it could be really neat to have. Good looking and heavy-duty. Came w/ 18" Viking stainless hood also. Remodeling kitchen now and wondering if this is right for us or not?
We are 59 and 60 years old, still work long hours so we cook things that go fairly fast unless it is on the weekend. Occasionally enjoy entertaining for a crowd. Like to bake. Our fuel source would be propane. We are omnivores.
Concerns:
1. Cleaning. I really don't like standing on my feet too much, cleaning.
These are open drip pans under the gas burners, not sealed burners. While my friend says you can throw the grates, and drip pans into the dishwasher, the grates are heavy and it seems like another thing to do. There is also a slide out tray that gets cleaned periodically.
2. Igniter problems. What happens when you have a boil over on the stove top? I read on the internet about expensive, difficult (bad service) replacements of Viking gas igniters and it scared me. This seems to be an earlier model that perhaps doesn't have the problems listed of the mid 2000 era gas tops. We used to own a 40" Kenmore, and when the cleaning lady used too much water on the gas burner top, it would drip down, short out the igniters and we would hear a clicking noise forever until we had it serviced or it dried out. Drove us crazy.
3. Low-to-ground ovens and not self-cleaning. Racks do not slide out easily.
While I am 59 and no back problems, I am wondering about pulling a 20 lb turkey out of this oven at Thanksgiving as I get older.
4. Hood noise. I like it quiet. Not sure if gas top needs more ventilation than electric or is it merely a function of what you are cooking?
So - do I have something great that I should install without hesitancy because it's a great stove and I would be foolish not to? Or should I consider some of the newer cooking products such as induction cooktop (efficient and easy), speed oven (fast), steam oven (great for veges and bread)
We would appreciate any input!
Thank you!

Comments (2)