SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckmayer

White grout issues around tub and elsewhere

ckmayer
10 years ago

Hi - I lurk, but now am so crabby about my renovation, I'm coming out for some advise. I have a host of issues that seem to be happening on a major remodel, but I'll start with the grout issues we are having. We put in a Mirabelle air tub with three rows of white subway tile around it. Simple right? Well, the first grout job crumbled away as soon as it was touched and in one corner the grout turned a rusty color. The tile is under a window and I thought we had water damage at first, but the tiler said it was gasses coming through the grout and that is why it is discolored. Ok - whatever. It was determined that the grout was old and he came out to re grout it and he also used the same (new) bag of grout to tile behind our vanity which is a tanish/green color. Looks really great. The tile guy told me to wipe the tile after a day or two with a cotton cloth. Fine. I wait two days and as I wipe, the vanity tile, grout is raining off of the tile. I think it is because there was excess on the tile, but when I move over to the tub, the grout is totally cracked and crumbling around the base of the tile where it meets the tub. I rub higher up between the tiles and the group will easily come out. I call our contractor and he says that it will be redone, but usually they put silicone along the edges of the tub - because the caulk can crack there. He says that it will be redone with Power caulk, which I have read does not do well where there is contact with water. Well, today, I come home to the tub NOT re caulked....just a bright white bead of silicone. Please tell me that you should not be able to scratch caulk out between tile and has anyone had experience with power grout? What about the whole gasses seeping through and staining the grout story? Is this all a bunch of bs? I am so sick about this - such a waste of time and efforts. I also now have my quartz counter tops installed and have to have a 70 inch wall of grout removed right over it. It should be totally redone right? Do I have to have that bead of silicone, or should the grout be enough around the base of the tile where it meets the tub? Just looks so junky to me.
Thanks -
Karen

Comment (1)