SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beache_gw

Question re:Hoover Steamvac vs Bissell Little Green Steam Machine

beache
19 years ago

I've decided I need one of these machines to clean my upholstery and spot clean my carpets. Does anyone have one of these?

I've gone to epinions and the ratings are all over the place. Anyone here have one of these? Do you love it? Hate it?

Comments (9)

• arlenem
    19 years ago

I actually do not have one of the machines you mentioned but I do have a Bissell Powersteamer. It is a large upright machine which is very good at cleaning my carpet.

The house that we moved into had oldish carpeting in a sort of ginger color. I have a hairy, large-footed dog who carries in a lot of dirt. I also have a husband who always expresses amazement when I point out that he has just made big muddy tracks across the rug. To be fair, I have to admit that I spill a lot of coffee and wine. Since I also do not like to clean, the stains usually don't get cleaned up right away, as they should. They still come out! I don't know how this machine compares with the Hoover machine in cleaning power.

I am thinking of getting a Little Green Steam Machine because it is somewhat of a chore to drag the big machine down to clean up recent spots. I would be interested in hearing how the Little Green Steam Machine compares to any larger, upright model.

Arlene M.

• beache
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Go to epinions and you'll see what people are saying. there seem to be problems with clogging, but many people also love it. I'm going to call a vacuum repair shop today and ask their opinion. I'll let you know what they say.

• beache
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I visited the vacuum repair guy today, and he hates all of the at home cleaners. He said they constantly break down and it costs more to repair them than to get a new one.

He suggests renting a steam cleaner, but I need something for quick cleanups and occasional cleaning of soiled upholstery arms, not for major once a year cleaning.

I'm very frustrated!

• arlenem
    19 years ago

That is strange that the repair guy hates them all. I love my large machine.

One cannot go to town, load a HUGE rental machine in one's car, drag it home, use it, load it, take it back just because the dog threw up on the rug! One needs something that can be used immediately, without too much fuss so that life can go on to more pleasant things.

My machine has never broken down in two years of complete house cleaning twice a year and a few spot cleanings in between. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I think I will get a Little Green Machine and see. But I will check the source that you suggested before I do that.
    Thanks for checking.

a.m.

• earthworm
    19 years ago

IMO, these "steamers" need to be periodically vinegar cleaned, much like coffee makers.
    Also mineral free water should be used.
    I still have many jugs from the basement dehumidifier.
    Rain water should also be good..
    It would behoove a manufacturer to design and build a $200 unit that used clean water, was sufficiently powerful, and was repairable.
    The factories must cease turning out junk !!
    Recently a little Green Machine sold for nigh $20 at auction, most people at this auction are convinced that nothing but junk is there to be sold..

• berk
    19 years ago

I bought one of the Green Machines at a yard sale a couple years ago for $5.00. It had never been used. I love it for little spots and it works great. I have no complaints at all with mine.

• JoJo_Ohio
    19 years ago

I have a Hoover Steam Vac and it works quite well. We had one at work till someone stole it, so I paid $20 for a Little Green Machine at a friend's garage sale. It works great, but I do like the upright better, as it just seems easier to use an upright. I have had my Hoover for 10 years. I clean my carpets twice a year and sometimes more for high traffic areas. I have also loaned it out several times. It is important to use clear water when you are done cleaning the carpets to clear the holes of any dirt to prevent clogging.

• myclementine
    16 years ago

I have a little green machine and it always clogs on me.

The last time I had it out it wouldn't squirt water so I took the whole things apart to figure out what was going on. It was a waste of time. I agree with another poster, maybe a vinegar rinse after each use is a good idea.

My sons room needs huge cleaning! He is so sloppy and spills everything so I need a large steam vac for that. Taht is why I am here. Looking to see what ya'll have to say about steam vacs.

• DoloresFlemington_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Can I use bissell 2X ultra carpet cleaner formula in my Hoover Steam vac machine?