SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Baking Soda & Sour Laundry

monicakm_gw
11 years ago

We were to leave town Friday morning and not return till Sunday afternoon, but, decided to leave Thursday night instead. So I had to scramble around to get things done the last minute.

I had washed a load of DH's work clothes Thurs afternoon and in my rush to leave, forgot about them. Got home Sunday afternoon. Fortunanetly the weather was mild and temp inside the house was 64 when we returned. The clothes had soured some but it wasn't horrible. Maybe 2 on a 1-5 scale. Enough to cause a problem tho. I knew from past experience that vinegar wasn't going to get the smell out completely so I Googled it and found that baking soda is recommended. The article said 1 cup of baking soda but I just dumped the entire (reg size box) in the washer, agitated the clothes for a couple of minutes and turned off the washer for a couple hours. Used vinegar in the rinse cycle.

OMGosh! The most perfectly neutral smelling laundry ever! Amazing! Just called DH and told him to smell his sweaty shirt (g) That would be the real test. NO sour smell :) I don't know if I would have gotten the same results if the clothes had sat in the washer longer. This is the first time this has happened in 5 years and the first time in this washer (top loader). YMMV depending on the "sour-ness" and condition of your washer. Worth a try tho and next to free (55 cents at local dollar store). Hoping this could help someone.

Monica

Comments (10)