SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giantcrazy

Can anyone recommend a side-by-side that isn't junk?

giantcrazy
15 years ago

OK - junk isn't quite the word I wanted to go with, but it's a family forum....

I'm about to be rid of my 8 year old Maytag side-by-side. It has been, for lack of a better word, a hostage situation. In warranty, it broke down twice, taking two loads of food with it. Out of warranty, I repaired it myself twice, spending over $150 on parts. On something that cost me $1600 then (when that seemed to have a lot more buying power), between two loads of food down the toilet (figure $200 in total) and another $150 in parts, without figuring the cost of grief the thing has run me almost $2k and I haven't had a glass of ice dispensed to me in 4 years.

OK - grief over. It started to fall in temp the other day, and I'm putting it out to pasture. But I haven't been able to figure out what to replace it with.

The kicker is we're in the process of buying a new home, so I don't want anything expensive (relatively) - nothing more than $1500, if possible. Side-by-side, with the standard dimensions for a ~25 cu. ft. fridge.

All I want is r-e-l-i-a-b-i-l-i-t-y. I don't want it to die and take my hard earned food and money down with it. I want ice - and lots of it!

A trip to CR revealed a number of well rated fridges - each with reviews containing horror stories by end users. Went to Sears, where $1k buys a decent model, but reviews on their site (and a trip to consumeraffairs.com) aren't encouraging. Home Depot, Lowes, etc. - don't seem to come close to Sears on price, and yet somehow there isn't much of a variety (same units are sold everywhere).

Is there anything I can look for that will be a bit more reliable than the rest? A specific manufacturer? Country of origin?

For the love of God, I just want something that won't break in the first 48 hours, and then, if I'm not asking too much, might make it 5 years down the road without any repairs!

Please help....

-GC

Comments (4)