SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faulstr_gw

Design vs Architect Services

faulstr
11 years ago

We are building our first custom home but have built the house we currently live in through a "subdivision" builder where we selected a floor plan, made a few customizations, and chose the design items from their limited selection. So while we have built a home before we are new to the custom process. We want to spend about $400k on construction of a 3000-3400 main floor master with kids bedrooms upstairs. After being advised by potential builders that some of the stock plans we were showing them were more complicated and be expensive to build (plus we would still want to make changes) I decided to start looking at more cost efficient home plans like those used by some "subdivision builders" in our area and found one that flowed how I want but would want to change the staircase and redesign some of the smaller areas like bathrooms, pantry, laundry, etc but the overall main rooms are what I want. However my husband feels we'd have to compromise on the exterior elevation with this plan bc we like traditional Georgians but this plan has a front protruding garage which is obviously not true to that arch style but I think we could make it work to look more like an addition if we mixed the materials, or go with a different arch style altogether like more of a neo- European style. This seems like a cost efficient approach, but then some builders have also recommended we work with an architect to draw up something from scratch to address my husbands concerns about exterior. And that is where I get confused bc I've been referred to designers/architects who charge anywhere from $700, $1 per square foot so prob $3-4k, and then $7500. And then I see references on here to people spending $20-30k. Huge price differences! We don't have a difficult lot and don't have a budget for a complicated design so our thought is to start working with the cheaper option of $700 and he has proposed paying about $200 up front for him to see if he can put together something conceptually from scratch that meets our floor plan as well as exterior wish list, and then if not moving to the plan I found as a backup. Explain to me if this is not a good idea or why we would need to spend 5 to 10 times that amount.

Comments (2)