SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

huge wooden window in shower--how to cope?

While going around with a friend who is looking for an old cottage, I fell in love with an old house in a historic district, but of course there's one big problem.

The house has been totally renovated, and except for a flip kitchen and bath it's not bad, and the kitchen is adequate to get started with. The bath is more difficult, though. It's a small house with a small bath, and I have to assume there was a small clawfoot tub in the room before. (The house was built sometime between 1865 and 1875, so no bath originally.)

The renovator put in a nice acrylic alcove tub, but there is a giant window just above it, so low that you could use the sill as an armrest while sitting in the tub. I only have the listing photos, but this should give you an idea. It's the opposite window to this one and it's identical in size:

Here's the only pic of the full bath. You can kind of see the sun reflecting on the sill behind the shower curtain. (I wondered why they left the curtain drawn for the pic.)

The problem is how to work around this. Obviously this setup is just begging for trouble, but the house is a listed property in a designated historic district and it's forbidden to replace that window since it's visible from the street.

Any thoughts on how this could be made to work, or should I just forget the whole thing? Personally I can't think of any solution except to gut the room and try to squoodge things in at a different angle, but as you see there's not any too much room to do that, and the window is in the way no matter how you change things around. (Sorry, I don't have exact dimensions--at this point just wondering if there's anything to do short of a gut. I could put some kind of privacy film on the glass, but it's still a lot of wood in a shower.)

Comments (16)