SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
mdodnc

Dacor MOR130 vs Electrolux vs Bosch wall oven?

mdod
13 years ago

I went to 3 appliance stores today to try to pin down my induction cooktop and wall oven. Going in, I was pretty much decided on the GE Profile Induction cooktop but now I think I'm going to go ahead and splurge on the Miele, mainly because it requires very little clearance, has a great reputation and a long track record in Europe.

Now for the convection wall oven. I had narrowed my choices down to the Electrolux (reg/Icon?), Bosch 800 and GE Profile or Monogram.

I told one salesman that I was looking at the GE and the Bosch (he had both there) and he said in that price range he would recommend the Dacor because the glass bottom on the Dacor allows it to heat up faster (also gives access to the coil if repairs are needed), it has a recessed broiler coil and the convection fan goes in reverse pulling the air to the back of the oven and then pushing it out both sides which he thought gave better heat distribution. Those arguments sounded reasonable to me.

The big problem is that my current oven is an 18 year old Dacor convection oven that I've always hated because it doesn't bake one rack of cookies evenly, let alone three, so I'm not exactly eager to buy another one. I haven't seen a lot of positive comments here on Dacor ovens but there are problem threads on everything so I don't want to discard it as an option, especially since all the others have smaller racks.

He said the fan in the GE Monogram takes up a lot of space in the back and it does. I think he also said it was noisy. I didn't measure the GE but the Bosch interior oven space was 1 1/2" narrower and 1" shorter than the Dacor.

My main concern with Electrolux is that several people have mentioned that the racks are not as big as the Bosch. I haven't seen one yet. They'll still fit a half sheet pan won't they? I've found the regular Electrolux ovens online but nearby Lowes didn't have any and I can't find the Icons anywhere locally. Is the actual oven part that much different between the reg and Icon? It looks like the Icon has a fancier control panel and different appearance but both have the same oven volume, rolling racks and European convection with a variable speed fan.

When I asked the appliance dealers if they had Electrolux, they all said no as though there was no way you'd find that there. Two salesmen knocked them for being made by Frigidaire. Is that because they are available through Sears and Big Box stores now?

I don't care about cosmetic issues or all kinds of special features. I just want an oven that is dependable, well insulated (so it doesn't heat up the whole kitchen), preheats in a reasonable amount of time and bakes evenly.

The rep said the Miele was really great and most people here seem to like theirs but I just can't justify spending at least $1100 extra (even with 2 rotisseries!). We're empty nesters now and we use our convection microwave for most things anyway but I am the queen of desserts so I do tend to bake quite a bit for special occasions and holidays.

So if anybody can offer up any advice to I can move on to refrigerators I'd appreciate it. This whole process is killing me.

Comments (24)

• 59 Dodge
    13 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Electrolux is NOT build by Frididaire. Electrolux is the biggest appliance builder in Europe, and seems to me, I saw it stated in fact the whole World---not that it matters.
    We have their Icon Convection oven as well as their speed oven for 3 years now and luv them and they have been trouble free for the 3 years we have owned them.
    I suspect there are those that don't think they are premium quality---as they are now available at Sears?
    When we bought ours, they were not available there, but Electrolux was just getting started (In the US Market), 2005 and they wanted to get the "Exposure" Sears would give them--has nuttin to do with whether they are a "Premium brand" or not. We looked at every oven Pacific Sales had in 2005. Nothing else, at that time had the easy glide out racks on ball bearings, The Large door that amazing stays cool when baking(In fact they call it, "The Coolest Door In the Industry" We also loved the Cobalt blue interior and the xlnt Lighting inside.
    The speed oven is our most use appliance, I even baked a turkey leg in it, last week---I mean why waste all that energy heating up the larger oven , just for a turkey leg?
    Anyway , good luck with your decision, I hope you are able to see the Icon's in person.
    Nope , I'm not a salesman for Electrolux (or anybody), I'm retired---I just hope whatever you buy, you will get as much enjoyment out of it as We Do.
    Regards

Gary

• Related Discussions

Jenn-Air vs Dacor vs Bosch

Q

Comments (1)
    For dishwashers, I believe you will find Bosch is far superior to Jenn Air. Also in cooktops. There are little things that may not be visible to the eye, but are important for longevity. Good Luck.
    ...See More

Dacor Epicure vs Electrolux Icon Wall Ovens - HELP??!

Q

Comments (6)
    "Frigidaire makes Electrolux, In my opinion they have a long ways to go with this new brand. They have had several update kits already put on the market to fix issues with the ovens control. When I say they I mean Electrolux." It would really be nice if you did your "Homework" before posting the "Poppycock" above. Had you bothered to even check the posts on GW, you would know that Fridigaire was bought by Electrolux, and Elux markets Fridigaire as their lower priced brands, and we see quite a few positive posts about the Fridigaire brand. The Elux Brand is maketed as a mid-priced brand, while their Icons are priced a bit above that. Elux has lead the way in many innovations as far as ovens go. Fully gliding out racks on ball bearings,"Coolest oven door in the industry", Perfect Turkey---fast preheat----etc etc etc! Also had you read GW, you would see that "MOST" folks that bought the Elux ovens are very happy with them, both from a reliablity as well as a performance perspective. They have also been happy with the service they received if it was ever needed. Elux did have a lotta Fridge problems a few years ago, and they did not handle those problems very well, but they learned from that, and we see few complaints as far as their ovens go. Kinda Sad to see somebody with the title "Appliance & Refrigerator Repair", be so "unimformed" I guess you got your "Training" from Sales People? (Most who are not "Reknown" for their appliance knowledge). Anyway, read GW, for a while, before making your next post, and that "Next Post" will certainly be more "Knowledgible" than the above, (Or at Least I HOPE)!!
    ...See More

Double Oven-Bosch vs Electrolux HELP!!!

Q

Comments (1)
    I am also trying to decide between these two brands but have a few others in the running as well. I was fondling the knobs on them yesterday at TGI and noted these things for you to consider. HTH. Both have ball bearing slide out racks. Bosch has 1, Electrolux has 2. Both offer extra racks as an accessory purchase. Electrolux oven light has "fade" feature similar to dome lights on many new car interiors. The cobalt blue interior is nice, reminds me of enameled camp cookware. It also has hidden controls (they are calling it Wave Touch) which don't appear until you press something. Some people might like the clean look of this but I think it would bug me, at least until I got to know where every button is located on the thing. Bosch features a "fast preheat" button. This might be good as I hear many ovens with hidden elements take way longer to heat up. (I don't know how much faster it actually preheats compared to other ovens; any users got feedback on this?) It also has amber LCD touch controls and features a vent on the bottom (won't be blowing in the user's face). The ball bearing rack seems more cautious about speed of sliding than the Electrolux, but is equally responsive.
    ...See More

Dbl Wall Oven - Electrolux vs Bosch

Q

Comments (2)
    I have the Bosch HBL355OUC and you can see my thread about the oven door shattering during self clean, and the fact that it is still not repaired two weeks later. Performance (and price) were excellent. Regular convection works just as well as "European convection." However, based on apparent build quality and especially service responsiveness, I'd recommend avoiding Bosch.
    ...See More
  • creek_side
    13 years ago

The Frigidaire brand is owned by Electrolux. Are some of the Electrolux branded products built in former Frigidaire factories? Possibly, but who knows which product. They don't put that information on the label.

• 59 Dodge
    13 years ago

Just got back from a couple of car shows, I will post the measurements of the oven. I do not know the difference between the Icon Models and the regular Electrolux alto I think the Icons are the "Upscale versions" There have been post as to the differences, try doing a search here (At the bottom), not the top, for Electrolux ovens, and hopefully you will find those posts. There is a guy here who seems to be very knowledgible for many appliances and I believe He posted the differences. Seems like his name is
    "-----guy", sorry I can't do better but my freakin CRS, has kicked in again

Gary

• speedymonk
    13 years ago

FYI, the Dacor line hasn't improved it's even cooking ability for cookies. Ours is a 230M series double-oven and it's my wife's biggest complaint.

If you do buy Dacor again, get the extended warranty. High-end electronics and heat are bad bed fellows.

• mdod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments speedymonk. Not exactly what I wanted to hear about the Dacor. Isn't the electronics and heat a problem with all of the ovens or are you saying Dacor is particularly bad?

• mdod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FWIW, I found another Lowes that had the Electrolux, Bosch 500 and GE Profile ovens and took some measurements. I only had a fabric tape measure so I had to guessimate on some things with racks in the way but here are the meaurements I got.

Electrolux
    Rack size 22 1/2"x 15" (the glider tracks reduce the width not depth)
    oven height to broiler 15 1/2"
    Rack heights from 2 1/2" to 12" from bottom (so top rack is 3 1/2" from broiler.
    Oven lights toward the front and high on the left side, low on right side.

Bosch 500
    Rack 23 1/4" x 15"
    Oven height to broiler 17"
    Rack height 3 1/2" to 12 1/2" from bottom
    Broiler 4 1/2" from top rack position
    2 Lights on the back wall, one high on the left side and low on the right side.
    Insulating cable was on the oven instead of the door- seems less likely to gets spills.

So you've got 2" more height than the Electrolux but only 1/2" greater useable height. The door was taller and noticeably more in the way when I was trying to measure the oven and I'm 5'8" tall. Those glide racks would definitely be helpful here. Unless there's an advantage to having the racks farther from the oven bottom and the broiler, it seems like you're wasting a lot of time and energy heating up a larger space.

GE Profile
    Rack 23 1/2" x 15"
    2 lights on the top. I just wasn't impressed with the interior so I didn't bother measuring anything else.

I measured my current Dacor oven and the racks were 23 1/4"x 14 1/4" and 12" from the bottom rack to the broiler. That's good because it was the depth that I was worried about and these were all deeper (and taller) than it.

Now to find those posts on the regular Electrolux vs the Icon.

• wekick
    13 years ago

I have posted extensively on Dacor in the past and don't want to drag up that name, but I have the regular Electrolux oven now and love it. At the time I bought it, it had more features than the Icon. I had some problems with the enamel flaking off but they replaced it without a quibble. It heats to 350 degrees in about 7 minutes. I had the Dacor with the Discovery controller and @ 4 grand compared to the Electrolux for around 2 grand, the Electrolux is the superior oven. It also keeps right within a few degrees of what you set it.

• mdod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Wekick. Does it cook fairly evenly? I always used to turn the cookie sheets halfway through anyway but they originally sold me on the Dacor convection oven because I could "bake 3 racks of cookies at the same time without turning them". Needless to say I get aggravated every time I open my Dacor oven and see the cookies browned in the back and not in the front. The other thing I noticed is that it takes a lot longer to recover the heat loss when I open the door than it did with my regular old oven.

I finally found a place that has an Icon so I might run out there before work this afternoon. I'm leaning toward the regular one because I think I want black anyway but I want to see both.

I'm still a little concerned as to how Electrolux can sell this oven with so many features for so much less than other manufacturers. Are they cutting prices in an attempt to break into the US market? Or are they cutting quality under the hood and won't hold up for the long haul? People like them at a year or two but will they hold up for 10 years? That's the age old question I guess.

• mdod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just got back from comparing the Electrolux and Electrolux Icon wall ovens (wit a mylar tape meausre this time so remeasured the regular model).

I don't know about functionality but the Icon is definitely smaller inside.

Regular Electrolux 30" wall oven
    Useable rack (between side brackets) is 22 1/4" x 15"
    Width between the gliders below the rack 20 3/4"
    Rack positions 2 1/2" - 12" from bottom of oven
    Broiler 15 3/4" from bottom
    Gasket on the door
    Opened door extends 21" from cabinet face.

Electrolux Icon 30" wall oven
    Useable rack (between side brackets) is 22 1/2" x 13 1/2"
    Width between the gliders below the rack is 22"
    Broiler height 14"
    Rack positions 2 1/4" - 10 3/8"
    Gasket on oven
    Opened door extends 23 1/4" from cabinet face.
    The door is made up of two separated glass plates and the gap is open at the bottom of the oven. That seems like it has potential to make a mess. Unfortunately, I noticed that right as I was leaving and forgot to check the regular Electrolux but I'm pretty sure it had a metal frame all around.

The Icon has more glide racks but with a depth of only 13 1/2" (my current Dacor with 14 1/2" gets tight sometimes) I think the regular is the way to for me if I go with Electrolux. The Icon door also sticks out over 2" more than the regular when open (and 4" more than my Dacor).

• wekick
    13 years ago

This is just my personal observation and opinion, but it seems if you are blowing air through a heat element the air is hotter and items would brown on the side of the heat element(true convection). Sort of like one of those big heaters you see in a barn! The other type of convection blows the air around and the heat element is on the bottom. This seems to me that the heat would be more even with that setup. When talking to multiple sales/service people finally one told me that all products have to be turned once. I have found that to be true with both ovens. The Electrolux does have the top of the oven door open but it seems they all are vented some way. there have been discussions on this board about that. I have found very little correlation to paying alot for an appliance and how well it is made. My Dacor range er36d had the cheapest plastic knobs that broke very easily. Unbelievable for such an expensive range. that carried through to the whole appliance.

• speedymonk
    13 years ago

Mdod, we had to replace the lower fan and the electronic "brain board". Customer service wasn't the best and the extended waranty is a must for your pocketbook when something does fail.

If we had to pay for the control computer ourselves, Dacor wanted $1,800. Pretty proud of that unit, I'd say. Wanted $350 for the lower fan. I didn't have the extended warranty so I used my deluxe homeowners warranty and paid the $50 upfront service charge.

Working with electronic games and PC based downloading jukeboxes, heat and electronics don't mix. Electronics need to stay relatively cool or the components fail.

COncerning the cookie baking, my wife has fits if they don't come out even. We also use a stand alone oven thermometer. The digital read out on the Dacor isn't accurate when it buzzes. Need to pre-heat about 20 minutes after the buzzer goes off (saying the oven has met set temp) before you actually begin cooking. Gets everything properly heated.

What sold my wife was the larger than normal size cookie sheets the Dacor would handle. Live and learn.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

I have the Dacor MOH130 wall oven and I couldn't be happier. Unlike what others have said, mine cooks evenly with cookies and other items on multiple racks, grills to perfection, and I've never had a problem with something not coming out right. When cooking multiple items, it's always important to pre-heat for a good while. The Dacor cook book recommends adding 20 minutes to your pre-heat if you'll be baking on multiple racks. It also shares a tip that non-stick cake pans tend to heat unevenly, and recommends using regular baking sheets and pans whenever possible.

I've had mine for three years now and I still love it. It's fancy if you want it to be, or practical and simple if that's your preference. Either way it's quite a show piece! :)

• wekick
    13 years ago

sshrivastava, You had your issues with Dacor too but yours worked out differently and your experience with their customer service was totally different than mine. I think any product can have problems but it is how they stand behind it and how you are treated as a customer that makes the difference. Our very different experiences with them made you a loyal customer and me-not so much. Eventually Dacor did do the right thing and buy my appliances back.
    I have lived with 9 ovens over my lifetime and bake a fair amount. I never gave any of them much thought. Turn them on and when it beeps, they are ready to go as is my Electrolux. The idea of having to preheat as long as an hour(recommended on many higher end ovens not just Dacor)just does not fit with what I want out of an oven. I think it is a wasteful use of energy and I just don't have the time to wait most of the time.
    As far as bakeware I always use heavy guage aluminum and keep them in good condition. I do have a few specialty pans that only come in nonstick and do not find that they cook unevenly as much as they tend to absorb heat because they are dark and can cause things to burn.

• mdod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Speedymonk: we had to replace the control panel on our Dacor too but that was after 10 year or more. Luckily my husband can fix anything so we just had to buy the $250 part.

Wekick: I'm OK with turning the pans. I just have a problem with them telling me I won't have to if I get convection. The sales people I have talked to also sound surprised when I say that it doesn't bake evenly. I also have to swap between shelves, same as I did with my regular oven. Mine has "convection bake" (which I believe uses the convection element and the bottom element) and "convection" (which is only the back element?). I've tried both and have the same result.

I read all the threads about preheating the ovens for ages. I understand that the oven may not be at the true preheated temperature throughout when it beeps, but then why didn't people have the same problems with their previous ovens? If I pay 3x more for an oven, is it unreasonable to expect it to perform at least as good in every aspect?

I read the comments about the Electrolux being open at the top but I didn't see what people were talking about when I looked at the regular Electrolux so I'll have to check it out again. Do you mean that it vents out into the kitchen and makes it hot? If that's the case that is of concern to me. That's the ONE thing I liked about the Dacor. I don't know where the heat went but it did not heat up my kitchen. Several people mentioned that the Icon oven doors stayed cool so I assumed it wasn't heating up the kitchen.

sshrivastava: thanks for your comments on your Dcaor but that version is about $1300 more than the one I was looking at.

• theanimala
    13 years ago

Not sure about the Dacor or GE, but I was stuck between the Electrolux Standard, Electrolux Icon, and Bosch 800. I knocked out the Icon as it cost $500 more and from what I could research did not add anything additional except cost. I really liked the Bosch 800 as I was able to get a good price on it $500 less than the Electrolux, and that it had the largest interior (according to spec sheets). One concern I had is that the Bosch and Thermador are made on the same line and have many similar components. At first I thought this was a good thing as Thermador costs $1000 more, but all of the horrible reliability issues I have read about Thermador ovens make me fearful that some may have found their way to the Bosch ovens.

In the end we went with the Electrolux because A) my wife LOVES the look and B) all of the good reviews I found on GW. Ordered it 3 weeks ago, but won't take delivery for another 2 months until after our kitchen is in. I will report back several months after on what we think.

• mdod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good luck with yours theanimala. I'm with you on the regular Electrolux over the Icon.

To correct some of my earlier comments, I looked at the regular Electrolux again at Lowes last night. It does have a grill below the control panel that vents directly out into the room and there are vent holes at the top and bottom of the door that apparently draw air from the kitchen down between the door panels and out the bottom. I guess this is to keep the door cool???

Then I went to look at the other ovens on display. All have some venting at the top but many are smaller than the one on the Electrolux and some have small louvers to direct it up or down. Most of the ovens, including my Dacor, also have slots above the oven box (between the broiler and the control panel) that line up with slots in the section of the door when the door is closed. It looks like the air flows from above the oven box, then down between the door panels and out the bottom.

Does anyone know if there's a major difference in functionality between the two methods? I'm pretty much sold on the regular Electrolux as long as it doesn't make the kitchen significantly hotter than other models.

As to my concern about the continuous gap between the glass panels on the Icon door, I had to laugh when I justlooked at my Dacor oven and it had the exact same thing. ALL the ovens have vents, thus the ability to get gunk between the layers of glass but this does give a little easier access. I guess reading a post about someone getting gunk between the glass of their brand new Meile made me a little paranoid. OTOH, the glass on my oven door is black so you wouldn't be able to see any gunk between the panels anyway. I'd still be a little nervous about all that open access to glass on the Icon.

• wekick
    13 years ago

I just asked my husband which oven put out the most heat Dacor or Electrolux or were they about the same. He said without a doubt the Dacor. This is the first wall oven I have had and always kept the exhaust fan on while running the oven in the summer with the range oven. Putting out heat may not be a bad thing if it keeps your electronics cool, but I will say the control board is always cool during regular baking, but it gets warm during the cleaning cycle. Whatever heat is generated by the oven unless you have some way to move it outside in a direct way will be dissipated in your house.

• mdod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for checking Wekick. I have an oven!

• wekick
    13 years ago

Which one did you get?

• mdod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, I didn't buy it yet. I meant that your comment sold me on the regular Electrolux. I'm not looking at any more posts about ovens! I've decided on the Miele Induction cooktop too, so I've got the refrigerator and downdraft to go. These decision are a killer and I can't order my cabinets from Scherr's until I get everything figured out.

• hgluckman
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting those measurements, mdod!

We're still debating between the 30-in Electrolux (not Icon) and the 27-in. We have to move a wall to fit the 30-in oven, and we may or may not do that.

From the Electrolux website, the width of the interior cavity on the 30 is 24-1/8 inches, and the 27 is 20-1/2 inches across. Is it reasonable to assume (if it ever is) that the rack measurements on the 27 will be the same 3-5/8 inches smaller?

We have yet to see a 27-in oven on display to make those measurements ourselves. We have some critical sized pans that we need to be able to use. It seems like it should work, but I hate to buy it sight unseen. We may still end up witht the 30, and it will be no problem.

• mdod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hgluckman: It seems logical that you could subract the same amount from the interior dimensions but you know logic doesn't always prevail. Case in point, the interior of the 27" oven is 3 5/8" less than the 30" oven instead of 3"!

Can you call Electrolux or a parts dealer to see if the 27" oven uses the same tracks (the metal rails that are attached to the oven sides to hold the racks) as the 30" oven? When I gave the rack width, I used the distance between the track on each side, which is less than the actual rack, since that's the limiting factor in what you can fit in there. A wider pan might fit if the lip/handle happens to avoid the rail.

Also, remember that if you are using multiple racks, the gliding mechanism underneath the rack will take up quite a bit of space from the rack below it.

Good luck.

• hgluckman
    13 years ago

Thanks. I've sent an email to Electrolux (thru their website) - let's see if I get a response. I may also have my appliance dealer do some checking (unless we just decide to go with the 30-inch).

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Pre-remodling pictures