SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdodnc

Dacor MOR130 vs Electrolux vs Bosch wall oven?

mdod
14 years ago

I went to 3 appliance stores today to try to pin down my induction cooktop and wall oven. Going in, I was pretty much decided on the GE Profile Induction cooktop but now I think I'm going to go ahead and splurge on the Miele, mainly because it requires very little clearance, has a great reputation and a long track record in Europe.

Now for the convection wall oven. I had narrowed my choices down to the Electrolux (reg/Icon?), Bosch 800 and GE Profile or Monogram.

I told one salesman that I was looking at the GE and the Bosch (he had both there) and he said in that price range he would recommend the Dacor because the glass bottom on the Dacor allows it to heat up faster (also gives access to the coil if repairs are needed), it has a recessed broiler coil and the convection fan goes in reverse pulling the air to the back of the oven and then pushing it out both sides which he thought gave better heat distribution. Those arguments sounded reasonable to me.

The big problem is that my current oven is an 18 year old Dacor convection oven that I've always hated because it doesn't bake one rack of cookies evenly, let alone three, so I'm not exactly eager to buy another one. I haven't seen a lot of positive comments here on Dacor ovens but there are problem threads on everything so I don't want to discard it as an option, especially since all the others have smaller racks.

He said the fan in the GE Monogram takes up a lot of space in the back and it does. I think he also said it was noisy. I didn't measure the GE but the Bosch interior oven space was 1 1/2" narrower and 1" shorter than the Dacor.

My main concern with Electrolux is that several people have mentioned that the racks are not as big as the Bosch. I haven't seen one yet. They'll still fit a half sheet pan won't they? I've found the regular Electrolux ovens online but nearby Lowes didn't have any and I can't find the Icons anywhere locally. Is the actual oven part that much different between the reg and Icon? It looks like the Icon has a fancier control panel and different appearance but both have the same oven volume, rolling racks and European convection with a variable speed fan.

When I asked the appliance dealers if they had Electrolux, they all said no as though there was no way you'd find that there. Two salesmen knocked them for being made by Frigidaire. Is that because they are available through Sears and Big Box stores now?

I don't care about cosmetic issues or all kinds of special features. I just want an oven that is dependable, well insulated (so it doesn't heat up the whole kitchen), preheats in a reasonable amount of time and bakes evenly.

The rep said the Miele was really great and most people here seem to like theirs but I just can't justify spending at least $1100 extra (even with 2 rotisseries!). We're empty nesters now and we use our convection microwave for most things anyway but I am the queen of desserts so I do tend to bake quite a bit for special occasions and holidays.

So if anybody can offer up any advice to I can move on to refrigerators I'd appreciate it. This whole process is killing me.

Comments (24)