SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacobsmishpacha

My Bluestar Drop-in Cooktop !Sob!

jacobsmishpacha
16 years ago

Well, I finally had my much anticipated Bluestar drop-in cooktop installed. I decided to use the installer recommended by Bluestar for two reasons: one is that it is a new product and might have a few "bugs" to work out. The other was that I was a little concerned when I looked at it (I opened the box so the granite installer could measure it) and I could see that the burners had moved about some while it was in transit. It seems that Bluestar didn't wrap or tie down any of the burners even though it was being shipped all the way to Los Angeles. I wasn't too worried as it looked like a very sturdy unit, but I wanted to be safe.

The installer seemed competent enough (at least in my inexperienced eyes) but spoke very little English. He proceeded with the installation and called me to show me the cooktop. He then went over the burners with me and because of his limited English could only turn on each one and say "this good" or "this one bad". It seems that after we went over it the conclusion was one burner igniter was bad and the ignition module was bad. Then we but the grates on, and there were only four!

When my husband came home, he noticed that the unit doesn't sit completely flat on the counter (there is about a 1/4" space between the counter and the cooktop in the back).

Then, I looked more carefully at the burners, and my configuration is wrong! There are two 22K burners in the front, one 15K burner in the back center, and two simmer burners in the back corners.

I called Bluestar, hoping they would help me. I told the rep of the problems and he said he would get back to me. I am starting to get a little concerned... I called on Wednesday and it is now late Saturday night.

I am so crestfallen that I don't have my cooktop up and running. I was hoping to start some heavy duty cooking for Passover, and now I am not sure what to do.

Oh, well, enough venting!!!

Comments (43)

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

The delay is probably due to the fact that all the decision makers are attending the Kitchen and bath show in Chicago and won"t return until monday, they are good people and will get things resolved.

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

I agree with guadalupe, Blue Star is a first rate company that stands behind their products. Call Pete at Blue Star. You sometimes have to follow up with him but he does follow through. You should also expect to get support from the local dealer as well.

• Related Discussions

BlueStar drop-in cooktop??

Q

Comments (16)
    When making an investment in an appliance, you must consider what your number one objective is. While Miele is a fine manufacturer (I own a few) their niche isn't range/cooktop/rangetop. A simple metaphor to use is; would you go to a steak house and expect excellent seafood? The answer usually is a resounding "NO". You would go to a restaurant that specializes in seafood. The old saying, "Do one thing and do it well" is the word here. When purchasing something as important as a cooking appliance, you want to try and stay away from manufacturer's that produce a myriad of products. When making a decision about a range/cooktop/rangetop there are many things to consider. First do you want a professional look or a professional result? This may seem like an odd question to ask yourself but it is paramount to making an informed decision. Many home "Chefs" are after one thing and that is appearance. If this is your goal, then any one of the manufacturers' you have mentioned will work just fine. However, if you are an above average cook or even a professionl Chef, then the only decision you have to make is which manufacturer "Performs" the best. For this purpose WOLF or BLUESTAR are the obvious and only choices. Wolf offers a high BTU of 16,000 with a 500BTU simmer. Bluestar offers an unpresidented 22,000BTU and an incredible 300BTU simmer. WOW!!! Any professional Chef would not be caught dead with a cooktop or rangetop with "Sealed Burners". While it is true that a sealed burner is easier to keep clean you will never obtain near professional results. The reason for this is that a sealed burner cannot truly get as hot as an open burner. The surface area the flame comes into contact with a pan also becomes compromised. It is a simple matter of physics. Bluestar does not offer sealed burners due to this fact. Wolf however does. Wolf began as the only commercial maufacturer that modified their range/cooktop/rangetop for home use but now they offer sealed burners which do not comply with any restaurant standards. Bluestar however is the ONLY commercial maufacturer to offer a 22,000 BTU burner for home use in an Open Burner for home use. A truly professional appliance. Period. So when all is said and done ask yourself which is most imporant....Professional Appearance or Professional Results? If you choose the later then the obvious choices are BLUESTAR and WOLF. My personal preference is BLUESTAR because it comes as close to professional results without stepping into a commercial kitchen. If what you are after is appearance then any number of ranges/cooktops/rangetops will do. You can also save yourself a lot of money if all you want is a "nice" looking appliance. Unfortunatley a lot of people who are remodeling their kitchens only dabble in cooking and do not really understand the importance of the specifications outlined above. They end up purchasing an expensive range/cooktop/rangetop merely for the status of a name and not to use it to it's full potential. They purchase for the wrong reason(s). This becomes evident when someone doesn't understand the importance of sealed burner versus open burner. I hope this helps you to ask yourself what do you really want out of your appliance and what kind of a cook you are. Only you have that answer, but hopefully you have been armed with enough facts about the features that will help you to make the best decision for you and your family. Warmest Regards
    ...See More

Bluestar drop in cooktop

Q

Comments (2)
    I have owned the 36" BlueStar drop-in cooktop since it first came on the market. It is far superior in both high heat and simmering capabilities to any other cooktop or range I have ever owned. If you are a good cook, you'll have many occasions to use and appreciate the superior performance of the BlueStar. I agree with the previous poster. The retail salesperson will have many reasons to buy(or not buy)a particular brand. Often, though, they may not be based on facts. Buy what will serve you best, according to your wants and needs.
    ...See More

Bluestar cooktop mod ideas...

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for the feedback.. The wok grate is my favorite as well. It really does make a difference. With regard to the knobs, I agree with the cover blocking the knobs. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier but I guess all I need is a strip of sheet metal or something like that. Then I can use it when necessary and put it away when not in use. Foil works fine for now but just looks bad and sometimes moves around when I lift the wok. I'll have to look into getting a piece of sheet metal and bending it to my liking. With regard to the burners.. the burners were tuned down to around 9k btu (I read somewhere that it was rated at 8.5k). The 15k burner with such low volume is really just silly IMHO. The flames only go about 1/2" (maybe 3/4") off the burner. That's what led me to try and concentrate the flame. I'm confident that there is no leakage problem since given the low density of natural gas compared to air, it would have to be at a pretty high pressure to force any of the screws up enough to leak by. Just to be safe, I ran a lighter (the long bbq kind) across each of the screws with the burners turned on high and there was nothing to indicate any sort of leakage. That said, this is *not* proscribed by bluestar in any way so anyone reading should judge for themselves whether this is a good idea or not. I certainly find things on the internet that I would never try even though someone says it's perfectly safe.
    ...See More

Selling BlueStar 30" Drop-In Cooktop - where to post???

Q

Comments (10)
    jerzeegirl, it's funny that I have no problem selling anything else I have, but when it came to selling my BlueStar, I blanked. I first thought Craigslist, but I don't like dealing with all the scam junk mail I get from the post and I live in a small town and Craiglist really is not as effective. Ebay is next on the list which I'll be willing to ship the cooktop. Thinking of waiting until after Christmas to post it on ebay. Might not be the best time of year to expect somebody to buy a cooktop. I was hoping there was a place that most people listed their appliances, maybe a forum or something I didn't know about.
    ...See More
  • lboise
    16 years ago

Didn't Pete get replaced by someone who's supposed to whip service into shape? Matt, was it?

Don't worry, Jacobs. Do a search on this site and you'll see that the majority of people who buy Bluestars eventually get most of their problems resolved one way or another.

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

lboise - I did not know that. Pete did a good job for me. How recent was it?

• lboise
    16 years ago

Breezy - I remembered seeing the president (?) of Eurostoves mentioning it a while back, so I just did a search on "trevor pete matt" and came up with the thread. The name is Matt Schutte and apparently he was relatively new when Trevor posted on Feb 21.

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the support. One of the reasons that I purchased the drop-in cooktop (even though it was a brand new product) was because of all the posts I saw praising the customer service at Bluestar. I did not purchase the cooktop locally (it was the only appliance which I did not purchase locally), I purchased it through Eurostoves. I have also seen much praise on the this forum regarding Eurostove.

I spoke with Matt at Bluestar and he said that he would contact Eurostoves. I still have confidence that it will be made right.

I'll update everyone once I hear from Matt.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

I understand your frustration, but with all respect I think two business days out is a little early for you to be publicly hitting the panic button. I would have to think that PP understands their vested interest in the success of a new product, and I know both they and Eurostoves are aware of the impact of chatter on this forum.

Having done research here, you must have at least had an incling that there might be some bumps along the road to bliss. Good luck, and please do report back.

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fenworth, thanks for the comment. I didn't intend to publicly hit the panic button, and looking back I can see how it sounded that way. Both the retail outlet and PP are highly reputable, and I have no doubt that things will end up fine. I think that the stress of moving back into my newly remodeled house (which has oodles of things yet unfinished through no fault of Bluestar :) has me somewhat edgy.

I also got out of my rut and started cooking on my three good burners- and I love cooking on them! It reminded my why I wanted the Bluestar in the first place- with that kind of power I can see that we will be just fine for Passover.

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

Jacobsmishpacha--FWIW, you seem to be much more patient than I would have been. When I talk to someone on Wednesday & they tell me that they will get back to me, I expect to hear from them later that day or early the next day--and certainly before the end of business hours on Friday.

Given the multiple problems--missing grates, wrong burner configuration, bad ignitor, bad ignition module, either sloppy installation or warped assembly and bad packaging, IMO, Bluestar should be falling all over themselves to make it Right and should have handled your problem on the spot. Not next week or whenever they get around to it.

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bluestar called back and they are going to send a new service provider. Given the language barrier I encountered with the other one that is probably a good idea. He said he would get back to me in the next couple of days.

I am so looking forward to getting up and running so I can really fully enjoy my new cooktop.

ci lantro- my initial response was the same as yours- I used to manage a call center for a bank and always emphasized the importance of call-backs with updates. But, I think that the process is just different with appliances. As long as things are resolved in a reasonable period of time I will be content.

• pluckymama
    16 years ago

Jacobsmishpacha, I'm sure it's been a disappointment to not have your new cooktop working as it should, but I was wondering if you could give us a detailed description of it, maybe even take a pic, and how the 3 burners that do work are to cook on. I think you may be one of the few that has received one. So, if you get a chance, maybe you can fill us in on how it appears to differ from the Bluestar prostyle cooktop? Hopefully, Bluestar services it quickly for you so you can finish your cooking in time for Passover! Shalom.

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

HEY! FWIW - I would have probably hit the panic button pretty quick too. I had been reading about the new drop in and looked at it online. It seemed like a very good unit packing mostly range top equipment into a cook top...really great unit that many were waiting for anxiously for months (overdue). So when it came in damaged and incorrectly configured after a sight unseen order on the good faith of this good forum, yes, I would have had a bit of a panic attack. So don't feel so badly and I am glad Blue Star has followed up as I was confident they would.

Good luck...it looks like a great unit!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I completely agree with every word ci lantro wrote...and I HATE waiting for phone calls that don't happen. All of us want to open our new appliances and find them whole in and in working order, and after all the time, effort, decisions, and anticipation, it is perfectly normal to be panicked and a bit angry, even, to find such a mess inside the box (parts shifted, parts missing, wrong configuration). That's a lot of things wrong. You'd think they'd want to send out their first new models in perfect condition...First impressions and all... And then a questionable installation, too. I'm sorry you had to go through this, but glad they're tending to you.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

It seems my earlier post may have been misinterpreted. I completely agree that calls should be returned promptly, even if to say "I don't have an answer for you yet." From that perspective, believe me, I'd have been on the horn constantly the next day. But my point, as jacobsmishpacha clearly seemed to understand and agree with, was that I thought it was a little hasty to bring public.

Jacobsmishpacha - I'm glad you're seeing attempt towards progress. Again, I wish you luck.

May you eventually have "all burner good."

• rhome410
    16 years ago

"But my point, as jacobsmishpacha clearly seemed to understand and agree with, was that I thought it was a little hasty to bring public."
    I understood what you meant, but I think she was just sharing the disappointment with those of us who would understand, not trying to bash PP or get in a hurry to hate the cooktop or anything. It also might have been a warning to others to expect that there might be some bugs to be worked out with the new item, so they wouldn't have unrealistic expectations...And that is, I think, helpful.

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I appreciate the debate that this has generated, as I want to state clearly that I did never mean to bash PP or the service that I received. If that had been my goal, I would have made it quite obvious. When I agreed with Fenworth, it was that someone reading it could have inferred that I was in a state of panic, not that I was. I think that someone who is in the service providing industry (I don't know whether or not this includes Fenworth) might read my comments from the prospective of the service provider while someone who is a consumer might read the comments from the prospective of the consumer. Each would react differently to the same post.

The reason I posted was exactly as Rhome410 stated- I knew that those on this forum care about appliances and also as one of the first posters who have purchased this product I think others considering it might want to know what my experience was. Most of my friends can't really relate to the frustration I am feeling, and I felt that if there were sympathizers to my plight anywhere it would be here.

I stepped out of my comfort zone with this purchase (my other appliances were Monogram and Bosch for the kitchen and Maytag for the laundry, purchased locally) and when things started going wrong I felt concerned. I needed to rely on a company miles and miles away and a local servicer who barely spoke English. Bluestar seems to be stepping up to the plate and is making arrangements for a different local servicer to assist me.

I do feel strongly that there is nothing wrong with my sharing my experience obtaining service as long as I do it in an accurately. Things can happen, and I am not knocking PP- in fact when companies correct mistakes quickly it elevates customers' loyalty even higher then if nothing happened in the first place. But I don't think that we should have to wait and only post service issues if they become major problems that can't be resolved in a civil manner. Just because it will most likely be resolved reasonably doesn't mean that the inconvenience and disappointment didn't happen.

• amirm
    16 years ago

The pro market needs to learn to do better on out of box quality issues. For the prices they charge, their score is amazingly poor here. So it is great to see posts like this for eternity for future customers to see, and for employee of the said company to notice. It is never right to have a premium product and have this kind of experience.

So I say bring it and then some :).

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

I am not trying to take a shot hear, but there is a world where nothing goes wrong, and then there is the world we really live in, perfection will not happen in our life time, no matter what price we pay. The best you can hope for, is that the parties involved will act to correct a wrong and do so as quickly as possible.

• lboise
    16 years ago

Guadalupe - There's a difference between a bum ignitor, damage during shipping, and other such unavoidable problems versus issues such as missing grates, incorrect burner configuration, etc.

If in your world that's acceptable for high end products, then I'm sure glad I live in a different world from you.

I am not trying to take a shot here, but your constant defense of Blue Star regardless of the severity of the issue or how PP handles it is somewhat tiresome, and at least to me renders your opinions less than relevant.

• amirm
    16 years ago

Perfect world? What perfect world? We bought the most expensive Sub Zero fridge about 7 years ago. It came with the wrong drawers in the freezer that kept falling off. You think if I buy a Lexus, it comes with the wrong seats?

In your pervious post, you said BS folks are good people. If so, they should direct their good intentions toward final QC and only let out products that have been checked to match their spec as that would have avoided this thread. We currently have BS on our buy list but already have a bad taste in our mouth reading this and other threads. A 22K BUT only makes up for so much. These are simple devices so it should not take an act of god to get them right....

• nafex_nate
    16 years ago

I received some info today about the BlueStar drop-in cooktop from Matt (Bluestar Service Director).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Below are the answers to your questions regarding the 36" Bluestar Cooktop:

Q: Can the burner configuration be changed? I would like to have two 22K burners together in the back to support a dual burner griddle.
    A: The burner configuration of the cook-top unfortunately can not be altered due to UL standards

Q:Are the grates made of the same material as the other cooktops?
    A: Although a different shape than the regular Bluestar ranges, the cook-tops grates are the same material and finish of our grates.

Q: Do you need a wok ring for the drop-in cooktop, and if you do, do you sell one for the unit?
    A: Bluestar does offer a wok ring for this unit. Product #138901 and the MSRP is $120.00 although many other commercially available wok rings are compatible with this unit.

I initially thought the answer to the first question contradicted jacobs mis-order, but maybe they allow you to downsize the burners, but not move any of the burners? That still is puzzling, since the specs on their website show the 22K burners in the middle back and front right side, but jacobs reported that the two 22K burners were in the front.

• nafex_nate
    16 years ago

I received some info today about the BlueStar drop-in cooktop from Matt (Bluestar Service Director).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Below are the answers to your questions regarding the 36" Bluestar Cooktop:

Q: Can the burner configuration be changed? I would like to have two 22K burners together in the back to support a dual burner griddle.
    A: The burner configuration of the cook-top unfortunately can not be altered due to UL standards

Q:Are the grates made of the same material as the other cooktops?
    A: Although a different shape than the regular Bluestar ranges, the cook-tops grates are the same material and finish of our grates.

Q: Do you need a wok ring for the drop-in cooktop, and if you do, do you sell one for the unit?
    A: Bluestar does offer a wok ring for this unit. Product #138901 and the MSRP is $120.00 although many other commercially available wok rings are compatible with this unit.

I initially thought the answer to the first question contradicted jacobs mis-order, but maybe they allow you to downsize the burners, but not move any of the burners? That still is puzzling, since the specs on their website show the 22K burners in the middle back and front right side, but jacobs reported that the two 22K burners were in the front.

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just a quick update on my Bluestar cooktop. Bluestar has arranged for a new local servicer to come and correct the problems with my cooktop. He is scheduled to come on Wednesday the 23rd. Hopefully that will be the only service that I need for a while!

Trevor from Eurostoves has also been very helpful and called to make sure that I am getting the assistance that I need. I am feeling more comfortable now, knowing that there is a plan in place. The good news is that this cooktop is built beautifully and looks so clean and simple- once it is running correctly it seems that there is little that can go wrong.

Pluckymama- I have not forgotten you- I will try to get some pictures posted of the cooktop. It really cooks beautifully. I pulled out my 14" Vollrath saute pan and cooked some chicken in a tomato-based sauce last night. It came out perfectly and the flame was able to cover the base so that there was no uneven heating. Despite the problems that have occurred I must say that there is no other cooktop that could come close to this one as far as cooking power. So far, I don't regret my purchase and wouldn't trade it for anything.

• pluckymama
    16 years ago

Nafex, Are you saying you have learned that it is not possible to use a griddle pan or grill pan across 2 burners on the drop in cooktop because of the BTU differences in the burners?

• nafex_nate
    16 years ago

From following other Gardenweb posts, it is ideal to have both burners have the same BTU rating under your griddle because it's easier to keep the griddle at a uniform temp across the surface. I think with practice you can probably adjust the 22K down to match the 15K, but it will likely take a little experimentation. (I don't know the true answer from experience since the cooktop we have now has an electric griddle in it). I don't think from reading other posts that it will be that sensitive if you are using a good griddle pan, but if I could have changed the configuration, I would have paid a little extra to do it. I am still planning to order the 36" drop-in regardless.

I do have a question into Bluestar, just to confirm the real configuration of burners, because if the 22K burners are both in front, then the two 15K burners would be together in the back. If you look closely at the picture of the cook-top on their website, it shows the 22K's both in front. This doesn't match the specs sheet on their website, which has one 22K in the back middle and the other on the front right corner. I'll post what I find out.

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trevor from Eurostoves called me today and let me know that one of the reasons that my configuration is different from the website is that in order to get the UL listing they had to put both 22K burners in the front. Nafex nate, it sounds like you would have two 15K burners in the back next to each other in the center and the left corner(I think Trevor said that the simmer burner was supposed to go in the right back corner).

I made chicken soup today, and the simmer burner kept the broth at a nice, low simmer...

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    16 years ago

The configuration for the new drop in cooktop 36" will be as follows. NO changes can be made due to UL listing approval.

Front Left 22k
    Front Right 22k
    Rear Left Simmer
    Rear Center 15K
    Rear Right 15k

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the correction, Trevor.

• pluckymama
    16 years ago

Trevor, Are you saying that the configuration offered on the Bluestar website at the following link: http://www.bluestarcooking.com/pr_dict_36.html (Click on the PDF file) is incorrect? I'm hoping so and that your configuration is the correct one, because then you could use a grill or griddle pan on the center and Rear R burner at both 15K.

It would be great if you could clear this up a bit further for us. Maybe Bluestar could then make the updated changes to their spec sheet on their web page. Thanks for your help.

• PRO
    16 years ago

Pluckymama

Yes....the Bluestar website is incorrect at this time. I understand that they will be changing the pdf soon to match my posting above.

• nafex_nate
    16 years ago

Trevor,
    Thanks for the info. It would make sense that they need to keep the orientation the same for the burners, but they still allow downsizing of any of the burners, like jacobsmishpacha's configuration with the extra simmer burners.
    I'm sure BlueStar has been working like mad to get this drop-in done before the spring building/renovation season, and that the website would be a low priority compared to getting product out.

I am happy that the 15K burners are together for a two burner griddle, but it was also interesting to have a 22K at the back center, because it would have the best hood capture with an island hood, but if I had to pick between the two, I like the configuration they have.

• pluckymama
    16 years ago

Good news! That configuration makes more sense than the one on the pdf. Thanks for clearing it up.

• PRO
    16 years ago

According to what i was told today they will not make ANY changes to the layout of the cooktop, i assume that encompasses downsizing.

I do agree with you a rear center location is good for total capture of smoke and grease especially for wall hoods. With island hoods you are always going to have problems missing capture of smoke and grease

• nafex_nate
    16 years ago

Just got the word from BlueStar.

Quote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    The configuration on a 36" unit under current UL testing is as follows;

Rear L-R : simmer  15K  simmer

Front L-R : 22K 22K

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So it looks like the configuration that jacobsmishpacha received is the only one available right now for the 36" drop-in cooktop. There are two simmer burners...there are not two "large" burners together anywhere for a griddle.

Hmmm...By the wording of the response I'm wondering if there will be more configurations approved later. I may wait on my order for a few months. I don't really need to have two simmer burners (although the BlueStar simmer burners are almost as may BTUs as the biggest burner on my existing cooktop)

• lboise
    16 years ago

So the customers are told one thing, and it matches what's delivered.

But a high volume dealer is given seemingly wrong information?

I'm staying tuned....!

• cpovey
    16 years ago

Just a quick FYI...

While I do not nor have I worked in the appliance business, I have worked on getting other equipment through UL, CE, and similar certifications.

It can be and frequently is a very frustrating process. Manufacturers make an item, and test it themselves. Then they send it to an approved lab (UL does not do most of the testing, but accept reports from approved labs), where it gets in line behind other items waiting to be tested. This typically takes 6-8 weeks, and costs something like $50,000.

It a unit fails, it has to be modified and tested again.

I would guess that PP has figured out that it was worth while getting their ranges tested in multiple configuration, so that people could rearrange the burners as they saw fit. On the other hand, they probably figure to sell fewer cooktops, so that testing multiple configurations would not be worth the hassles and money.

By the way, this is one reason that equipment like Bluestar, DCS, Wolf, etc. costs more than
    Whirlpool and Maytag. The $50,000 for testing by Whirlpool can be spread of several million units, whereas with a Bluestar, only a few thousand people have to share the costs of testing.

• PRO
    16 years ago

I must apologize for giving misinformation. Nate' account of the new layout is correct.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Service was scheduled for the 23rd. Today is the 27th.

How's it going, jacobs?

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a quick update of my visit from the Bluestar technician. He replaced the ignition box and now all burners are up and running. He was not able to reconfigure the burners, so I will continue to have the two simmer burners. He told me that Bluestar emailed him the day before his visit and told him he could not do it. It would have been nice if Bluestar had also contacted me so I could find out from them instead of the technician. I can live quite well with the burners, although I will need to replace my two griddle pans, which rest on two burners, which will probably cost me $130 (I'll replace them with single burner griddles). I hope that Bluestar updates their website soon, so that consumers like me can make an informed decision between the rangetop and cooktop.

My other issue is still outstanding, which is that the cooktop does not sit flush with my granite countertop. In the front it does, but on the rear 8" of the cooktop (on both sides) there is a 1/4" gap between the cooktop and the counter. This looks like a perfect place for gunk to accumulate. The technician kind of avoided the problem, and said maybe it was the cooktop and maybe the hole in the granite was causing the problem. He suggested that maybe I could put a little caulking or something there to close the gap. I don't think it is the granite, as the cooktop is not tight in the hole and it feels like there is some room there. The installer didn't complain about the cutout when he did the installation (I didn't notice it wasn't flat until after he had left). I don't want to be too picky, but I think the cooktop should not have a gap.

I also have some concerns about the burners. When the technician was at my house, I told him that it looked like the 15K burner was not hot enough and that the simmer burners were too hot. He seemed to agree with me, but after fiddling with them said that they were adjusted as much as he could. He recommended that I buy a diffuser or simmer plate at Williams Sonoma if the simmer burner is still too hot. I don't think he really addressed whether or not the 15K burner was working properly.

I was cooking on Wednesday and needed to warm up some milk. I thought I would give the famous Bluestar simmer a test now that it had been adjusted. I put a small pot of milk on the burner (lowest setting) and went about some other activities in the kitchen. The milk boiled over and made quite a mess. Perhaps I am just expecting too much from the cooktop.

I have been so busy with Passover that I haven't even called Bluestar to address these issues- I will post the outcome after they have had a chance to help me out.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Here are my opinions, based on what you've said:

1) If you said 1 corner, or two opposing corners, were up 1/4", I'd say the unit might be racked. But with both back sides going up equally, I'd have a hard time envisioning anything other than that something is catching the back of the unit. If a straight-edge going front to back shows both the granite and cooktop to be flat, then that would seem to prove it.

2) As I as well as others have argued in the past, I feel that advertising a temperature for simmer is very subjective and misleading. But I can't imagine all these people raving about a flame that would boil over even a small amount of milk. Sounds like something is wrong. (I can tell you that I've held my hand directly on the grate over a DCS simmer for close to a minute before I had to pull away - and they advertise 140 degree. How does that compare to your simmer?)

3) Sounds like you missed the "white glove" install date by just a couple days. I would hope you could convince someone to honor it and resolve your issues.

4) Worst case scenario - I would sure hope it doesn't come to this - I'd try to return the unit on the grounds that due to burner configuration they didn't deliver what they advertised or what you ordered. This thread alone has plenty of evidence that you were steered wrong in that regard. (Albeit clearly unintentionally on the part of Trevor/Eurostoves.)

Good luck!

• alku05
    16 years ago

Did the service guy pull off the control handle and adjust the screw in there to bring your simmer burner flame down very low? Ours can be adjusted so that only very tiney buttons of flame are present.

I second fenworth's suggestion to check and see if they'll give you the white glove service.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

I agree with the other posters who suggested you ask for the White Glove service and additionally I think you might want to request that they put it in writing. And if they refuse I would return the unit or ask them to switch it out for a new one that could be covered. As I mentioned on another post I think they should automatically offer the White Glove Service to anyone who still has a valid warranty on their unit.

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wanted to update everyone on my BlueStar dropin cooktop. I decided to wait until BlueStar and I had finished resolving the issues so it has been a while.

The customer service I have received from BlueStar has been excellent. My calls have been returned promptly and emails giving me updates have been sent regularly. They have agreed to send a new cooktop to me with a configuration which more closely matches the one on the website.

The cooktop I originally received had two simmer burners and one 15K burner. Since I usually have many mouths to feed I really only wanted one simmer burner. I am now going to receive a cooktop with the following burner arrangement: rear burners L-R: Simmer, 15k, 15k, and the front burners will both be 22k. Hopefully, I will receive this cooktop in the next week or two. I am also going to have the opportunity to have the "white glove service" to be sure that all is up and running properly.

I have now been using the cooktop I originally received for a couple of months now, and must say that it works well. I find the burners cook my food better then anything I have used before. The flame spreads out and covers the entire surface of my pans perfectly- my food cooks nice and even now! The simmer burners are excellent for smaller pots- if I had didn't have a large family I would want the two simmer burners as they are well designed for cooking smaller portions.

The cooktop stays quite clean and the cast iron grates get so hot during cooking that I haven't had a need to clean them yet. There is a hinge along the back of the cooktop which you can lift to clean the drip pans. The process of removing the burners and cleaning the drip pans is not exactly easy- if you are one of those people who needs their cooktop to be completely spotless and perfect I thing I would recommend a more residential style cooktop with sealed burners. I cleaned them after 2 1/2 months and there were a few dry crumbs down there, but they really didn't need cleaning. I personally find this cooktop much easier to maintain then the sealed burners where every little drip requires you the cooktop, but I know that there are some who would go crazy trying to make this cooktop look as shiny and perfect as a new Viking cooktop and get frustrated.

Overall, this cooktop is an excellent choice for someone who loves to cook. It amazes me how much better my cooking tastes now that I have the power to cook right. For those who love to cook, I think that this is still the best cooktop out there.