SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dailycollector

Advent Calendar?

dailycollector
16 years ago

Thought I would let you know what I did last year for my older sister. I made an Advent Calendar for her, but it wasn't the kind you open little windows. I went to the Everything is just $1 store, and bought 25 items - nail polish, bottle of Tide, funny socks, etc. Some items were useful, and some were down right silly! While there, I also found a package of 16 paper bags, the size of lunch bags. Each were decorated in pretty designs - snowmen, santa in his sleigh, etc., so I bought 2. I also bought some self sticking foam shapes.

When I got home, I put each item into it's own bag, folded the opening over once, then stapled it shut. I then took the foam shapes, wrote a number from 1-25 on it, and placed it over the staple. Oh, and I also bought a large laundry basket. I had some left over Christmas fabric that I placed in the laundry basket.

After the bags were sealed, I mixed them up and placed them in the laundry basket and put a large bow on the front of the basket. It just so happened that she wasn't home the night of Nov. 30, so I was able to leave the basket on the coffee table in her living room.

I had so much fun doing this and it wasn't very expensive! She would call me every day to tell me what she had opened. By the sixth day, I couldn't help laughing and she realized it was from me. She said it gave her something to look forward to every day. She would hurry up and get done whatever needed doing, then she'd rush to the basket to find that day's bag. She and her dog would sit before the fireplace and open one bag. Eventually, her dog would be sitting next to the basket, patiently waiting for her to finish her chores, so they could open another bag!

I'm going to do this again this year, but to someone else. I've also been saving all the free samples I've received in the mail, to use as gifts. They each come with a coupon, so it'll be a double gift! I guess you could do the same thing for a birthday present or anniversary. Hope this gives you some ideas!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions