SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathleen_ni_houlihan

What caused my sheets to -seriously- yellow?

Hello folks. Before you jump to any conclusions about sweat stains, let me tell you my strange story.

I've had ongoing problems with yellowing sheets. I had a professional organizer tell me outright that a particular set was disgusting and I should throw it out. But it's just gotten ridiculous.

I have spent most of this summer away from home and just returned after a two-month absence. The sheets on the bed in the guest room were probably slightly yellow when I left, but in that time period, they have turned dark yellow, almost a pale orange. I have to admit that the yellowing is worse on the surface where people sleep; the sides of the fitted sheet, for example, are not as bad as the middle. The strangest thing is that there are rings and splotches, as if the stains were caused by liquid -- I actually looked up to see if the ceiling was leaking after looking at them. (It's not!)

What is going on? Is this some reaction caused by excessive past use of bleach? Fumes from the synthetic carpeting? (The yellowing has never been nearly as bad in the room with the hardwood floors.) Some phantom sheet-yellowing poltergeist that has invaded my guest room?

Comments (5)