SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msl511

Test Driving Induction

msl511
10 years ago

I'm very, very interested in induction based on everything I've read here. But I really want to try it out a bit first, before I commit. I know the advice is to find one that's turned on in an appliance store, which makes sense.

In the, no kidding, 5 different appliance or big box stores I've been to in the last couple of weeks, many don't even have an induction cooktop or range on the showroom floor and only one has had one plugged in and ready to try.

I can certainly go back there and give that one a try, but here's my question. The cooktop they had available to play with is a Viking and I'm not in a Viking price range. Is there likely to be a significant difference in the cooking experience from brand to brand, such that trying induction on a Viking wouldn't really be a good test for how I'll like cooking on a Samsung or Elux? I realize that hob configuration, how the controls work, and other things differ brand to brand and model to model, but will the fundamental experience be the same? Or do I really need to find something closer to my price range to test drive?

Comments (17)