SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Painted border on placemats

luvstocraft
14 years ago

I know, I know, you want to see these in a tablescape and I will work on that soon--but I wanted to share the placemats I painted while on our motor home trip. DH wanted an R&R day off from visiting relatives and going places, so on a nice rainy day, he watched television and napped and I painted these TS placemats. Nothing fancy, just simple one stroke roses and leaves on a vine, but they were fun to do. Luvs

Comments (32)

• ncnana
    14 years ago

Oh, Luvs, these are beautiful. Are they "one step"? They are so pretty and so perfect. - Gail

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

Amazing! I can't believe how lightly you speak of it - "just simple one stroke roses and leaves on a vine." Even if I could paint a simple one stroke rose, I would never end up with the last rose fitting in the space. Either there would be too little room or there'd be room for a rose and a half.
    How great that you have this talent and it gives you such pleasure.

• Related Discussions

chair rail -wallpaper border on paint post?

Q

Comments (3)
    I would also follow the directions that came with the border. Usually, it's best to prime with a primer to be used with wallcoverings like Shieldz. This will make installation easier and removal down the road will be really easy if you follow the manufacturers recommendations.
    ...See More

Paint color varied where border removed

Q

Comments (1)
    Hardly an expert, but I would paint the 4 inch strip one shade lighter, feathering down into darker section. Hope this helps or other people come up with ideas!
    ...See More

Installed painted border: need advice quickly!

Q

Comments (33)
    Since you have low-ish ceilings, I would compromise by painting above and below the border in the same color. Then I would take the border away from around the door and just repair that little bit of drywall. Having the border go around the door does date your room about 30 years, and pulls the ceiling down almost claustrophobically. A more updated color will show off your furniture to better advantage than the faux marble. In that perfect universe where time and money are no object (will we ever live there??), I would take down the border, repair the drywall, paint the walls and install crown molding, which would simultaneously update and make your ceilings look higher. I hate making suggestions that involve more work when you've obviously slaved over this border issue. The day we decided to wallpaper over a room that had just been newly papered the week before is still a dark moment in decorating history in our house!
    ...See More

Paint fireplace tile border?

Q

Comments (1)
    Either white or a faux marble white with a little touch of veining in subtle color. Prime with proper primer. And go for it.
    ...See More
  • mo13
    14 years ago

Wow! Luvs, those are beautiful. And this really shows how talented you are at painting - they are all so consistent and like OA says, having them all fit in perfectly is amazing.

Mo

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Luvs..these came out just beautiful. I can't get over how perfect the pattern is. It goes so well with the round shape of your placemats and makes them look so delicate.
    They would be wonderful for a 'Tea Tablescape' or any for that matter.
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.. Not to pressure you...lol

jane

• dining_delight
    14 years ago

Who would even THINK to paint placemats? Our Luvs, that's who! And how beautiful they turned out!!! They are perfect! Was it hard to get the circle of roses to meet up? Luvs, maybe you should set up a shop or online business to sell all your fabulous painted items. I'm sure lots of people would buy a set of those placemats! Great job!

DD

• kippenhill
    14 years ago

Those are beautiful! I could never paint anything like that. Can't wait to see them on the table.

Donna

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

GORGEOUS, Luvs. I agree with DD totally. Your artwork just never ceases to amaze me. I'm lucky if I can paint walls!

Are you back home now or still traveling?
    hugs, Karen

• printersdevil
    14 years ago

Welcome home! These placemats are wonderful. You are so talented. I agree that you should have a shop. Sent you an email.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments. I just needed something to paint while on the motor home trip. Trust me, these little vines and roses are not hard at all. I don't usually like to paint multiples of anything, but these were quick and easy so I didn't mind. Gals, I'm much too slow at getting projects done to try to sell them. I'm content to just paint things for my own use and as gifts for friends and family.

I did try to use them today in a tablescape. I think you've all seen these plates before, but they worked pretty well with the placemats. DH even helped with the napkins--who knows I might get him interested in doing tablescapes! LOL

I do think that perhaps a set of ivory dishes, maybe with a scalloped edge and raised border might look good with them. I'd love to hear any ideas any of you might have. My roses on the placemats look more mauve than the ones on these plates--only other alternative would have been to just use some ivory salad plates instead of the rose ones. Maybe the placemats are enough design on their own? What do you think?

• bettyd_z7_va
    14 years ago

Luvs,
    I had fallen in love with your placemats. Then you knocked me dead with that PERFECT tablescape! How romantic. And getting your DH to help! How sweet is that? He did a great job, too!

I'll be sure to show Alfred and tell him that your DH helped! He often gives me his opinion, but hasn't helped yet. Way to go!

So , what was on the menu to go with such a lovely table?

Betty

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Luvs..I agree with Betty..this tablescape is Perfect!
    I love these dishes with your placemats. The pattern is just as delicate as your placemats and the color is so pretty. Your floral centerpiece compliments everything..I love that vase..and the little pink 'birdie'..!!
    Tell DH...he did a great job on the napkins, and that we look forward to seeing more of his 'hidden talents' on tablesetting!! (wink..wink)
    jane

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Absolutely perfect Luvs...you don't need to change a thing!! Your hubby is quite helpful...gives him a vested interest!!
    You are way too talented and I love seeing what you have painted!
    J

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

Golly, I can't stand it! Everything is perfect. So sweet. The little birdie is my fav, but it's the one-of-a-kind placemats that bring everything together.

Now, about this idea I have for a border on some placemats of my own: I was wondering if . . . .

OA

• mo13
    14 years ago

Luvs,
    Thats a perfect tablesetting. Very romantic but not fussy in any way! Those dishes are perfect with your lovely placemats. No way that painting can be called simple. You are far too modest.

Like everybody else, I loved the little bird. I really like all your dinner bells! And the napkins go perfectly with your dishes and the roses.

Mo

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Oh my, I take the weekend off and look what I missed!
    They are just beautiful..and I agree with OA, mine would be all lopsided, not that I could even paint a rose!

I didn't read all the comments..what kind of paint did you use? I am thinking the next time CTS has the round mats for a buck, I could give it a try...maybe a simple design!
    And your table setting is simply lovely! So pretty in pink, and the mats steal the show!

• dining_delight
    14 years ago

Luvs, that was fast! At the beginning of the post, you mentioned you'd do a tablescape soon and you did! What a nice one too! Those placemats are lovely put to use and the tablescape you created is wonderful. I have those same Gibson dishes with the pink floral pattern. Is that a pitcher of the same pattern that you have as a centerpiece with your silks in? I don't have that! Looks really nice!
    DD

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OA, If it's something simple or you have a picture I can copy the design from--your placemat wish could easily be granted!

Mo, that little bird came from our friend Karen aka Purplemoon and I just love it. I keep it out somewhere in my living room all the time. ;o)

Kathleen, I looked at your blog the other day and saw a picture of a bunch of shopping bags--have to get back over there to find out what was in them! Don't you know I hate suspense????? LOL I just used regular acrylic paints on my placemats and just a couple coats of Krylon matte 1311 sealer. Should be okay to just wipe them off with a damp, not wet, cloth. Stencils would work well too, and napkins could even be painted to match. I have a pattern in one of my books for hot chili peppers that I'm thinking about painting on some for my DIL along with a little wooden chip n dip bowl. Sure wish we had CTS stores out here, you always find the cutest things at such great prices there.

Mo, you are so sweet, but believe me, my painting skills are minor leaque compared to most. You should take a look over on the painting forum and you'd know why I say that!

Jaybird, did you ever get that digital camera? I just know you have so many wonderful items and do so many fun dinner events that we are missing out on getting to see. Hint hint. It's always good to hear from you, don't get mad at me for asking for pictures, okay?

Betty and Jane, I passed on your compliments to DH regarding his skillful napkin placement. He just grinned and said he probably has lots of other hidden talents I don't know about yet! LOL

Guess I'd better go check out those "hidden talents"--be back later! ;o)

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

That rose table setting is absolutely, totally, romantic and wonderful.

What's gotten into Rich? LOL.

As for checking out the Painting Forum, I have and you still amaze me with your talent. You are FAR, FAR better than you give yourself credit for.

hugs, Karen

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

Luvs,
    I was just teasing. But you're such a sweet person to offer!

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

LOL, Luvs, I still haven't posted what I bought..I have been busy getting ready for the holiday, and I am getting slow!
    I thought I would get it posted today, but cooking all day, then I was too tired...But it isn't that much...lots of little things..but I did find those indiv butter dishes that are 5.00 ea. in WSonoma..I got mine when they were 50 off, but the next week they were back to 5!

Well I found them for 1.50 each!

Some pretty covered casserole type things..trying to decide if I should keep them...frivolous..

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DD, yes the vase is the same pattern. Has a lid to go on it so I called it a "cannister" but it works great as a vase too.

Karen,DH is so relaxed and totally enjoying being retired and not having the work stress anymore. It will be a year next month, and we are really enjoying the freedom we have now. I'm so fortunate that he is a cut up and acts silly and plays pranks--even if that is a bit "irritating" to me at times--I could have ended up with a grumpy old man! LOL

Kathleen, no rush or pressure--was just curious after that little "tease" picture with the bags in the trunk. ;o) Keep them, we all need a little "frivolity" (is that spelled right?)sometimes. As long as it's not keeping food off the table and your bills still get paid--who's it gonna hurt? Right? ;o)

Luvs

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

You are so darn talented, Lady! Those are lovely, Luvs, just lovely! Simple? Yikes, they look very detailed and hard to my feeble mind! You need to give us a class on painting placemats now. I'd love to see some for Autumn and Christmas.
    Lynn

• prosperity66
    14 years ago

Oh Luvs, they are splendid! When I look at all your wonderful creations, I regret to live overseas!

Did you already thought about selling these beautiful things you create? I bet you would have a huge success!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lynne and Prosperity, nice to have you both back posting again. Glad you liked my little project.

You are right Lynn, I think some for Fall would be nice--maybe leaves and acorns. Christmas could be holly or evergreen branches--maybe even some pinecones. The nice thing too is that the same design could be painted on napkins or even on glasses like your sunflower ones. Just have to find more placemats cheap, a friend said she would keep an eye out for some for me too.

Luvs

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Luvs, I was in Dollar Tree yesterday and they had those straw type placemats in lots of colors for $1 each. At Marshalls and Ross they were 4 for $7.
    Let me know if you need me to send you some!
    J

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jaybird, let me check our Dollartree before asking you to go to all that trouble. I haven't been in there for a couple weeks, maybe mine has them too. Thanks for the heads up on them. Luvs

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

Cant find the words to express how impressed i am with your painting as well as your beautiful table..LOVELY
    I wish you sold your items

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your sweet comments Deb, it's nice to have you joining in here with us. ;o) Luvs

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

I used to be all over this board.......when they switched to paying, I only stayed for a year, then got into the habit of not coming here...but occasionally drop by

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Deb, I've heard allot of the old members say that. So glad that Gardenweb lets us have all this fun for free. I've met so many wonderful people on the forums and had so much enjoyment from seeing pictures of everyone's creations both here and on Garden Junk and Crafts and the Painting forum. Hope you'll stick around and play with us now. Luvs

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

Thanks Luvs....i'd love to......I will come as oftern as i can.I love to see all of the awesome stuff everyone creates

• printersdevil
    14 years ago

Luvs, this is gorgeous. I don't know how I missed this earlier. I did see the wonderful painted placemats, but totally missed the tablescape. I am so glad that it was back up at the top and I got to see it.

I am a pink person, so this is at the top of my list.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions