SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammiecanada

Toto G-Max or E-Max toilet flushing system?

sammiecanada
13 years ago

Posted this question in plumbing as well. I am confused about the Toto Ultramax toilet. We were looking for the elongated ADA toilet ultramax and thought it was G-Max flushing system. However, when we got home the brochure said it was E-Max flushing system. Is one better than the other? I have tried to compare them on-line but am even more confused. Would appreciate it if anyone knows the difference-if one is better than the other. Thanks in advance. The model # here in Canada I was given is MS854114EL if that helps any and were told it is called the Eco-Ultramax.

Comments (25)

• gobruno
    13 years ago

I'm no Toto expert, but I believe that the E-Max is the Eco version of the G-max. It uses the same flushing technology but with less water. We had the G-max in our last house (which we loved), and this time around we opted for the E-Max to conserve water. Based on reviews I found on GW, people said that the E-max works just as well. We haven't moved in yet so I don't know personally. Good luck!

• sammiecanada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gobruno: That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you...I had read such great things about the g-max and thought that was what we had decided on....then got confused about the e-max....thanks again. Do you move in soon? Our contractor will start our renovations in early June so I am trying to make all these final decisions so we can have things ordered.

• Related Discussions

toto dual cyclone or emax flushing system

Q

Comments (3)
    My parents have a Drake with the dual cyclone. I think it's a pretty slick concept and it works well. They also have an Ultramax, and we have an Ultimate and a G-Max Drake, too. Our Ultimate is the only one of the bunch I've had complaints about. It does its best when you flush and hold the lever down until the trap glugs as the last of the water goes out. If you aren't mindful and forget to do that, it clogs in a heartbeat. The only differentiator I could come up with (beyond the flush system) is that the low profile one-piece toilets just don't have as much water head in the tank as the taller Drakes.
    ...See More

Toto Flushing Systems

Q

Comments (2)
    I had the same questions as I was planning to purchase toilets for our two bathroom remodels a few months ago. You'll get some answers if you read these past threads: G-Max or E-Max toilet flushing systems Okay, tell me about Toto toilets -- Eric
    ...See More

Opinions on Toto's Nexus &/or Eco UltraMax

Q

Comments (1)
    Straight from my friend the TOTO distributor is the following answer: "The Nexus CST794SF in cotton white is $459.90(his price)the same flushing system as the Nexus, the GMAX. The 1.28 GPF should flush as well as the GMAX but if you are worried about things his kids might put in the toilet then I would go ahead and recommend the 1.6 GPF Ultramax. The model number for that toilet in the elongated bowl is MS854114S and the price is $400.40(again his price) in cotton white. The 1.28 GPF model is MS854114E and the cost is the same." Sounds like you need that 1.6 ultramax to me. As a father of 3 sons I can tell you the inevitability of the effort to flush the cat down the toilet is 100%....LOL Other questions contact my buddy Brian Here is a link that might be useful: National Builder Supply
    ...See More

why are the toto toilets so loud during the flush

Q

Comments (5)
    Is your sewer pipe plastic or cast iron? Plastic is definitely noisier - one of our friends has a $1.2M spec home in Old Lyme, CT, and the noise of the toilet (in either upstairs bathrm), an upscale American Std, can be heard in every single room both upstairs and downstairs. Some builders skimp on the insulation between floors and interior walls, too, which makes it worse. Sound then travels and echoes through the walls. I noticed that a friend's house, a standard tract development home, has a much noisier bathroom on the main floor than ours, where I know the walls were insulated. We have the Ultramax, and consider it very slightly noisier than the cheapo it replaced. But the fill is quicker, so overall we consider it quieter.
    ...See More
  • jacobse
    13 years ago

Gobruno has it right: the E-Max is a 1.28 gallon flush re-working of the older 1.6 gallon G-Max flush. The wrinkle to consider is that Toto is moving more and more models to its Dual Cyclone flushing system, which also uses 1.28 gallons. The Dual Cyclone is supposed to provide more of a wash of the bowl while still using the 3" wide flush valve pioneered in the G-Max. If you look at all the "II" models -- which have Dual Cyclone -- which Toto has recently introduced, you can get an idea which way they're moving their product line. But it's not as if the Dual Cyclone models have replaced the E-Max ones, so if you prefer one of the "Eco" models (E-Max), go for it! The G-Max models will continue to slowly fade away, as the entire toilet industry moves to the 1.28 gallon flush standard.

-- Eric

• gobruno
    13 years ago

We move in about the middle of May. I'll let you know how the toilet (and everything else in the house works) when we can finally post our completed house project. Can't wait. With 4 unruly boys who have been known to throw practically the equivalent of an entire roll of toilet paper down the toilet, having an excellent toilet was a priority. We never knew how much you could love a toilet until we got a Toto. We are currently in a rental with a cheap toilet, and we have had to plunge that thing at least 4 times in less than 6 months. In over 6 years of living with Totos, we never plunged once. I hope that's the same with the E-max.

• kaylie15
    13 years ago

Eric, I'm in the process of getting all my ducks in a row for my bathroom renovation and had finally settled on the Toto Ultramax with the 1.6 gpf. Are you saying I should install a 1.28 instead because I'll have to at some point in the future?

• jacobse
    13 years ago

Nope, not at all. I don't think the government will be ever reach out and tell people they must replace their toilets with models that conserve more water. There are plenty of the old 3.5 (or more) gallon per flush toilets still in operation, even though it's been law that only 1.6 gallon toilets could be sold since about 1995. At some point, it may become law in some states, regions, or nationally, that new toilets must adhere to the 1.28 gallon limit -- but you won't have to replace your 1.6 gallon toilet if or when that happens.

I think the real question for everyone today is whether the current generation of 1.28 gallon toilets have worked out enough of the issues and problems with lower water flow to be as capable as 1.6 gallon toilets. You can still choose between the Ultramax (1.6 gpf) or Ultramax II (1.28 gpf). If the latter were truly every bit as good, why not save 20% on your water bill? I just don't know if two comparable toilets like this are truly equally good.

I went into my toilet search convinced that I wanted a 1.6 gpf toilet because I figured more water seemed like it offered the potential to do a better job, yet I ended up ordering a 1.28 gpf model based on style and features. It will be installed next week, so ask me in a few weeks if I think it was a good move or a mistake! ;) In fact, I'll need to order another toilet for our second bathroom project in a few weeks, and I'm hoping to get at least a couple weeks of experience with our new Toto Carlyle II before I have to decide if I want the same thing for the second bathroom.

-- Eric

• kaylie15
    13 years ago

Whew, that's a relief (pardon the pun)! I will definitely check back with you in a couple of weeks to get more input. Thanks so much!

• sammiecanada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jacobse (Eric): Are all the flushes the same (e-max, g-max, dual cyclone) as far as getting rid of "stuff"? We are going from a really old toilet that flushes everything to one of these low flow because of the renovations and we have no choice here in B.C.

gobruno: Good luck and will watch for your postings in middle of May when you move in. I have to pick a toilet within about 2 weeks from what I gather so will keep checking back here to see and read everyone's opinions. So glad I found this forum, it has been a blessing helping me with my decisions.

• sammiecanada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow...thank you Eric...great response, very informative, and helpful. Thanks so much. In about 6 months if people are asking questions about toilets, I will certainly put in my 2 cents worth on the one we decide on!

• Terry Love
    13 years ago

All of the ADA bowls work better.
    Adding height makes a big difference.

Most of my customers that have both, can't see the difference in actual use.
    The comments I'm getting back, is that since they can't see a difference, they feel guilty when they use the bowl that uses more water.

As far as MaP ratings go, if it's rated 500 grams or more, that is a really good toilet.
    Sometimes when a manufacturer goes for the big gram number, they have to do things like diverting water to the lower siphon jet, at the expense of bowl rinse.
    I still like my bowl rinsed.
    I'm not the big toilet bowl brush fan.
    TOTO has done a very good job of balancing the two things.
    Flushing performance, and bowl rinse.

Keep in mind, the new stuff being made since 1992, is that so new now? Isn't going to have that huge pool of water that the 70's and 80's saw.
    What year is it now, 2010?
    Now, we are looking at 1.6 gallon, or 1.28 for the Watersense products.
    For many of my customers getting rebates, I'm recommending the Watersense 1.28 gallon bowls.
    It's always nice when they are handing out rebates.
    Terry Love

• equifoto
    7 years ago

The issue ignored, is that often, two flushes will be performed. Ideally a two flush system depending if urine or waste. Another issue not addressed is that the ADA height creates hemorrhoids over time.

• eddie michaels
    7 years ago

I have owned the the Toto Drake with the G max for about a year now. I thought at 1.6 gallon per flush it would be a good money saver and the plumber told me a more powerful flush. Haven't noticed any difference in my water bill, but most times I must flush at least twice or it will clog up. I experienced this more than once, which is what lead me to flushing more often, possibly more than my 20 year old toilet! I sort of think that with out an adequate amount of water, there are going to be waste flushing problems. I wasn't thrilled to drag out a plunger and drain snake to unclog a new toilet. My experience, for what it's worth.

• Cindy Young
    6 years ago

I have to clear up the "ADA height creates hemorrhoids" blanket statement. ADA height does not create hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are caused by straining or sitting too long. There has been research to show that sitting in a "squat" position (knees above rear end) makes the "go" easier, thereby causing less strain. If your legs dangle off a toilet that is too high for you, it makes it harder to get the job done causing strain. But... this can be true on any toilet. Most women and short statured men have been sitting on too high toilets since the beginning of time and we aren't all walking around with hemorrhoids. Any toilet where you knees are not above your rear end can cause strain. Maybe the Chinese have it right with their squat toilets where you go through a hole in the floor but unless you want to go that route, you are stuck with the toilet. If you are having to strain, it's not your toilet that's the problem but there are things you can try if you want to make the "go" easier, get the "squatty potty" device available at BB&B or Amazon which works on any toilet. Or just get a small stool to use while sitting. As you get older, an ADA toilet is almost a necessity. Even the Chinese when they get older have to add alot of height to their squat potties for the elderly.

• zannej
    5 years ago

I wonder how things went for @gobruno

I know this is a very old post, but I was trying to decide between a Toto Drake vs Toto Entrada. The former has G-Max and latter has E-Max. I currently have a Drake but am remodeling another bathroom & want to replace the toilet from the 1940s with a Toto toilet. I'm wondering if the G-Max is worth the extra $.

• sunfeather
    4 years ago

Any updates on this?

• zannej
    4 years ago

@sunfeather I've talked to plumbers on other forums & they said that the flush is about the same. Both have around a 1000 MAP score (which is very high & good). One of the main differences now between the Drake & Entrada is that the Drake now has a canister/tower flush mechanism instead of a flapper but the Entrada still uses a flapper. But I've had people tell me they still perform about the same. E-Max will use less water (so might need someone to hold the lever longer or do a second flush if there is something particularly stubborn in the toilet) but the benefit is that it will use less water & meet eco standards in some places. E-Max will probably save $ on water in the long run as well as up front on the costs since E-Max is cheaper.

I would give it a try, but I can't say definitively until I use an E-Max toilet. If I ever finish the reno & get the E-Max installed, I'll give an update on how it performs compared to the G-Max .

• Eileen
    4 years ago

We just bought two Entradas which will be installed mid-May. I'll try to remember to post back but give me a poke if I forget.

• Eileen
    4 years ago

We've been using the Entrada for a few weeks. It has a quick, powerful flush--SWOOSH! So everything gets sucked down quickly. What it doesn't have is a cyclone type flush where the water scours the bowl as it flushes. There is sometimes a tiny amount of residue.

We bought the Toto seats and I find them to feel very solid for a plastic seat but slightly less comfortable than my old seat. I think the seat isn't as flat as the wooden seat I'm used to. The self-close is also very slow, which is inconvenient because I always close the lid before flushing.

• Terry Love
    4 years ago

I have sold and installed thousands of the TOTO products. They work with one flush. Anyone that says it takes two is trolling for responses. They make them with 1G tanks, 1.28 and 1.60. They all work. You can if you're feeling frisky, hold the handle down and drain the entire tank just for fun. It's not needed though.

Toilets used to come with what I call standard height, about 14.5" to the top of the bowl before the seat is added.

Then they added comfort, universal, ADA heights. Somewhere between 16" and 17" to the top of the bowl. If you older, it's not so far to drop down as you're dropping your pants. The standard height bowls do make "going" easier. You don't get both. You need to choose what is important to you. And like mentioned above, you can pick up a squatty potty to raise the feet while sitting down.

G-Max or E-Max?

Most of the II series from TOTO are E-Max with the Tornado flush now. It's a good choice.

• Mahlon Aldridge
    3 years ago

Hi All. I had a G-Max 1.6 for many years. It has been a champ. We just replaced it with a 1.28/1.6 dual flush TOTO Drake with the DynamaxTorando flush. It absolutely clears the bowl every time on either flush volume. BUT here's the problem. The water level in the bowl is too low to a) cover the solid waste while you are using it so there is some wafting. b. keep the solid waste from leaving skids on the bowl about the water line. Those need to be cleaned with the toilet brush daily. I'm going back to the G Max or the E Max. Trying to decide.

• PRO
    Fireside Homes
    3 years ago

I have the same issue as Mahlon Aldridge. I have 3 older Drake toilets that are awesome, but the shape of the bowl and water level of the new Toto with DynamaxTorando flush leaves way too much debris in the bowl and I feel like I have to clean it constantly. I am going to get rid of it.

• Prince Leftridge II
    2 years ago

I am currently researching toilets for a new build. I am definitely leaning toward a Toto Drake ADA height with GMax 1.6 gpf. I deal with 1.28 gpf toilets now and have to flush them 3x or more to get solids out which annoys me to the nth degree. I want a powerful flush that will leave the bowl clean with less manual involvement from me (e.g. Plunging/Snaking).

• zannej
    2 years ago

I've used the original 1.6gpf Drake, the ADA height Eco Drake, and an Eco Entrada. All flush well. The original Drake had the best flush it seems, but that may be in part due to problems with my plumbing/pipes. The tanks are the same size from what I can tell but the difference is in the new flush tower systems/mechanisms. The older Totos used a flapper but many of the new ones come with a canister/tower flush. The canister for the 1.6gpf and the 1.28gpf are exactly the same except for the settings on the notches. They come pre-set depending on whether you want eco or standard. So, you can actually adjust an eco to use more water.

I have noticed that with the Eco I have to hold the lever down longer, but I think that may be in part, again, to something being wrong with my plumbing system. The pipes are not sloped properly & there are no vents so water doesn't move the way it should.

• Terry Love
    last year
    • TOTO has their new Drake models, CST775 in round and CST776 in elongated. Standard is the CEFIONTECT® ceramic glaze now. Also the rinse that swirls around the bowl. You can get them with the 1.6 or the 1.28 tank. I'm in Washington State so we only get the 1.28 and find that they work awesomely. They come in standard 12" rough and you can also get the 10" rough bowls. They are a very good, trouble free toilet for the home.