SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catbird_gw

A little dirt's good for kids ;-)

catbird
16 years ago

I came across an article that I thought was interesting and relevant to discussions here. It's just one of several that have come out recently warning against hypercleanliness and overuse of antibiotics (especially in soaps. Here are excerpts and a link to the full article. I say "amen" to the last line and letting kids be kids! Don't get so obsessed with keeping the house clean that the kids can't enjoy living in it.

Fight Against Germs May Fuel Allergy Increase

Friday , September 14, 2007

By Jeanna Bryner

A dose of dirt could be the best medicine for preventing allergies in kids who've never had them. While avoiding excessive contact with germs can help prevent the spread of infections, going overboard with cleanliness could be at least partly responsible for an increase in allergies among children, mounting research suggests.

"We've developed a cleanlier lifestyle, and our bodies no longer need to fight germs as much as they did in the past," said Marc McMorris, a pediatric allergist at the University of Michigan Health System. "As a result, the immune system has shifted away from fighting infection to developing more allergic tendencies."

. . . Recent research has found evidence for the so-called hygiene hypothesis, which explains how more sterile environments can lead to higher rates of illness. For instance, scientists in Germany recently found children exposed to farm animals (and the associated bacteria and other microbes hiding out there) were about half as likely as other children to develop the autoimmune illness Crohn's disease.

. . . . If your immune system has never or rarely detected even the natural background level of such substances, it can go haywire when contact does occur.

. . . . From the constant use of anti-bacterial soap for dish- and hand-washing to air-tight seals around doors and windows, some modern homes have become shrines to hygiene.

. . . . Plus, the atrophy of family size means children get exposed to fewer germs than the more kid-filled homes of yesteryear. Families with three or more children, tend to have fewer allergies as they are exposed to more bacteria- and virus-harboring siblings.

The battle against bugs doesn't have to come to an end, but finding a balance between healthy living and clean living is a must, scientists advise.

McMorris says we've gone too far though with germ-avoidance. "I don't think we should put kids in a bubble," McMorris told LiveScience. At the end of the day, he said, parents should just let kids be kids.

Copyright © 2007 Imaginova Corp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fight against germs may fuel allergy increase

Comments (14)