SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

Betty....any update?

Purplemoon
15 years ago

I'm anxious to hear how Alfred is doing, and hope you can post us soon. I know he was back in ICU, so the prayers and worry went up a notch.

hugs, Karen

Comments (34)

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

FINALLY!!!!!!! The 3rd cat scan found the preforated colon and that the tube from the left kidney to the bladder was also leaking urine into the abdominal cavity. He just now came out of surgery and will have a colostomy bag for about 4 months,but THANK GOD and all of you for your prayers and support. Keep lifting us up because the road will be long and hard. At least the major problems (hopefully) have finally been addressed. I love you all and realize how blessed I am that God gave you to me for this time. I will update when I am able to leave him to come down to this waiting room and can get computer time.
    Love,
    Alfred and Betty

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Betty, I'm so glad to hear some news. I hope this latest surgery is the last, and he can start really healing. I know you must be totally worn out from head to toe. And he's been thru so much, I pray he has strength thru out the days ahead. He has already proven he's a pretty tough guy.
    I'll be holding you both close in heart and thoughts.

hugs, Karen

• jaybird
    15 years ago

(((((((Alfred and Betty)))))))))))) and prayers too!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

So glad to hear from you, Betty, and to hear that they are making good progress. This has been such a difficult time for both of you! So glad that you are getting some good news. Hope you have gotten some rest and are doing better now too. Thoughts and prayers are with you both. Luvs

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

Betty, hope Alfred can start making progress in his healing now that they have sorted out what was wrong. Although we have never met, I can't tell you how many times a day, my thoughts turn to you and your DH, hoping and praying you are both doing okay.

DD

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

Good Morning,
    Alfred is still with me, but He still hasn't opened his eyes. They are trying to get him to wake up, but he is in so much pain that they have to keep giving him morphine.
    It is sooooooo hard to just sit or stand there and watch him suffer in his own private hell and I can't do anything to help him. The nurses are either pumping stuff into him, or dumping all of the things that his body is draining into.
    I finally got some sleep. I have been having some back muscle sparms, so I took 1/2 of my muscle relaxer and it knocked me out for about 6 hours. I woke up in that chair and thought my rear had passed on without me!!!!
    Anyway, I just want to shake his shoulder and say "Come on, Baby. Wake up and let's go home now."
    Please keep praying for us. I feel so helpless to help him. I'm sure the nurses wish I would just go away. They have been so good to me, but I've got to be getting on their nerves.
    Betty

• marylmi
    15 years ago

Betty.... please keep thinking positive and know that we are all praying for Alfred and for you! Hopefully by later today or evening, things will improve. It's good that you had some rest and don't worry about the nurses, they know how hard it is for you.

Sending more prayers your way~~~~~~

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Oh, Betty, my heart just aches for you! Just brings tears to my eyes to think about what you are going through. Nothing harder than having to stand by and see our loved ones suffer.

Glad you finally got some rest--even if not in the most comfortable position. Hopefully, you at least have a pillow and blanket. Don't worry about the nurses, you need to do what eases your mind. Personally, I think it wise that a family member stay on hand to see what goes on--too many instances of forgotten medications or not checking on the patient enough. Not always the nurses fault--I know they are sometimes spread pretty thin because of budget cuts and all.

I pray that God will bless you both and continue to give you the strength you need.

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Betty, your latest update also brought tears to my eyes.
    Luvs said it all so well that there's little I can think to add. I wish your sleep had been horizonal but at least you got some.
    I understand your feelings somewhat from when Jas was in the burn unit and heavy on drugs for the pain. Its horrible to feel so helpless and see someone you love suffering so. I hope the prayers and love from all of us here give some comfort and strength. Lean on us as much as you can. We're praying hard for you and Alfred.

with love, Karen

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Betty, I am praying things will improve. Have faith....good thoughts for you both!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Oh, gosh, no update from Betty again this morning! I am so concerned for them. Just praying that things are improving. Luvs

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Oh no....I've been gone a lot this week, and I was sure hoping for better news. more hugs and prayers from Texas.
    J

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:127451}}

with love, Karen

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Oh gosh, we haven't heard from Betty since the 11th. Sure hope she is okay. Know all of you are worried about them too, and praying for them both. Let's hope she gets a chance to post sometime this week, we miss her and just pray they are is doing okay. Luvs

• jaybird
    15 years ago

I'm watching too and praying....

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Me too, watching and praying..

• marylmi
    15 years ago

I keep checking here too every day. Hoping and praying that he is doing ok. Hope she gives us good news soon!

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone,
    Haven't been able to leave Alfred long enough to get to a computer. He was doing better and had been moved to a room, but he is having one of the set backs the Dr warned me about. Another pocket of infection in his abdomen and very bad pains in his chest all night brought us back to SICU. He is in radiology now checking to see if there is a blood clot in his lung. Please keep us in your prayers. I will post updates when I can. Thank you all for the prayers.
    Betty

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the update....I hope things go better this weekend.
    Hugs to you both.
    J

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update Betty, and so sorry you are both having to go through so much. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Luvs

• marylmi
    15 years ago

Betty, hope and pray that Alfred improves soon and that the xray doesn't show a clot.

Keeping you both in my prayers.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Betty, what an ordeal you and Alfred are going thru. You must be exhausted beyond words. I continue praying for both of you, and hope with all my heart he will get past all the set-backs and gets better daily.

with love,Karen

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Alfred is improving. He had a blood clot in his upper thigh,but it is stable and they have him on the correct drugs and it will be up to his body to dissolve it. He is up and walking. We are again on the regular floor. We may be moving to a different hospital for therapy by next week "IF" he doesn't develop any new pockets of infection. A new cat scan is scheduled for tomorrow.It is still a day by day thing and all of your prayers are still appreciated. I love you and appreciate you so much. I will try to keep you updated. Thank you all for all of the support. It keeps me strong.
    Betty and Alfred

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Betty, that is such wonderful news. It looks like you've finally reached the two steps forward, and can see some sunlight ahead. He is walking and out of ICU...

I understand about setbacks only too well after my son was injured, and how you have to celebrate the little victories and hang on to faith. You and Alfred are both pretty tough cookies! Prayers will certainly continue as long as needed and then some. Bless you both.

love, Karen

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

I 2nd all that Karen said and her cute little cheerleader too! What a wonderful blessing that he is up and walking already--will keep praying for his continued progress. Luvs

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

That's wonderful news, Betty. I am praying for you both. I have been through something like this...and sometimes you just have to sit and cry..then put on the big smile for them. Take care of yourself!!

• marylmi
    15 years ago

Betty, that is GREAT news!! Will continue praying for you both. So glad his condition is improving.

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

Our prayers for healing have been answered! Will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers as I do every night. Hopefully, Alfred will have more good days than bad on his road to recovery. You take some time for yourself too Betty.

DD

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

I snuck out to the computer while our oldest son is visiting. I even bought a cappichino (sp?) and found a fountain outside and just sat and listened to the sound of the water until a storm with lightening ran me back inside!! 22 days here today. He is grumpy so I guess that means he is better THANK GOD!!!! Love y'all.
    Betty

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

More good news, you actually got a little relaxation in a lovely spot, and best of all, Alfred is grumpy!!! GRUMPY is GOOD. Woooo Hoooo.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Good for you Betty--it is so hard to stay at the hospital so much. Glad your son is nearby and able to visit you both. Doubt that you mind the "grumpy" part at all--at least he is recovering! Thank God for answered prayers. ;o) Luvs

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Yes, Grumpy means he is coming back. Has to take it out on someone, and wives are the ones..
    Continuing prayers for recovery and strength!

• judithva
    15 years ago

Oh, my, you both are going thru so much, I understand completely! I will be praying for his complete recovery!!
    I know it is so hard to watch a loved one who is in pain, he is very lucky to have you there by his side, it makes all the difference in the world.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

I am SOOOO glad I stopped here for a second today!!! Yep, grumpy is GREEEEAAAAAAAT!!!...I know easy for me to say, but I am so thankful to hear a better report!
    Hugs to you both,
    J

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions