SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

How bad is it if our water nitrate level is high and RO is needed

snowang
13 years ago

We just finished our walk-through with the builder and when we were inspecting the kitchen sink area, we saw this weird looking little tank and three filters in the cabinet and the builder explained that it was a "reverse osmosis" system to reduce the nitrate level. They made it sound like this thing is a bonus that comes with the house and now we can produce our own bottled water in house. But I came back home and did some research online and realized some of the severe issues with having a high nitrate level in drinking water. Several issues here:

1. We have a one year old and I am very nervous about giving her baths, washing her clothes, washing vegetable and fruit and doing everything else with the contaminated water, since the treated water comes through only a tiny faucet in the kitchen, and the tank holds only about 2 gallons of water.

2. The ongoing maintenance and potential repair of the RO system - not sure exactly how much it adds up to, but we were not prepared for this additional cost in the first place.

3. Major concern is that when we sell the house, the potential buyers may look at the paperwork of high nitrate level and this filtering system and simply walk away, because of the potential health risks, esp. for infants.

We have a construction loan and the builder did not disclose the elevated nitrate level and the need for RO system to us when we signed the contract of sale before the construction began. Just 10 days ago I received this very casual looking email from them asking me to simply sign and fax back the letter to the health department for "Request for Permanent Deviation to Nitrate Standards for Certificate of Potability". It was my mistake not to research this more carefully and our realtor was apparently also very ignorant about this. So when the builder asked again for our signature, we simply signed it and sent it back. I am not quite sure if we are dealing with something very simple or sticky here. Is this common enough that we should just accept all this as a fact or should we fight the builder to get this compensated for, given it wasn't disclosed when we bought the land and house?

Thanks a million!

Comments (7)