SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Online shutter maker con artist??

bridget helm
17 years ago

I found a website for a shutter and door maker from New Orleans. the address:

http://www.terrysdoorsandmillwork.com/photo6.html

I called him to talk with him about making our shutters. He gave me a good price and told me to send certain measurements and 70% up front to a P.O. Box in Franklinton, LA. He's no longer in New Orleans--Katrina.

So I told my builder to send the check after emailing him an informal "invoice" of the shutters and the price of each from Terry (the shutter maker).

My builder said that he needed a "real" invoice before sending the check. Terry said that since he ships his doors and shutters all over the country, his taxes would be a nightmare because they'd include each state etc. He then went on to say that he does however, pay his income taxes. So I'm like "okay, whatever...give me some references."

He gave me a two references. One had a changed phone number (New Orleans). The other was some politician in New Orleans (probably a crook, like most of our state's politicians) by the last name of Johnson.

Mr Johnson said that Terry's work was the best and that he had no trouble with him even though he was skeptical about the no invoice deal. He told me that I was welcome to come by and see the doors and shutters on his home in New Orleans. He also said that he was in the process of building a home in Baton Rouge that Terry did shutters for. He named the neighborhood and I am familiar with it.

I told this to my builder and asked him to send the check again. He said he would. Terry never got the check. I told my builder to cancel check and send another. He said he would. Terry never got that check and asked builder to FedEx check to his home address in Franklinton. Last Wed. builder said he was on his way to fed ex. Today, terry says still no check. It's been 6wks since this whole check thing began.

So should I just send the $1700 from our checking account. Is there a reason my builder would lie to me. I know that he was uncomfortable about the whole situation, so in the beginning I told him that if the shutters never show up then he could take the 1700 out of our 5000 deposit.

I am confused as to why builder would lie three times and say he sent check.

The whole thing is strange. I really want the shutters but feel weird about the whole situation. Could Mr. Johnson and Terry be scam artists. If so, why wouldn't builder just say that he thinks they are scam artists and refuse to send the check.

I checked Johnsons name and address. He really is a politician in New Orleans and he does live on a nice street that would have these old fashioned plantation shutters.

What do you think? I am very perplexed by the whole situation. I find it very odd that the checks never showed up. Builder says that they were not cashed. Also, my measurements showed up in the p.o. box, so why wouldn't builder's checks. we double checked the address too. VERY VERY STRANGE?? I have come to the conclusion that my builder must be lying. But why??

thanks,

bridget

Comments (31)