SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

It's Maria Agnesi's Birthday!

oldalgebra
14 years ago

Happy Birthday, Maria Agnesi.

Maria Agnesi was born in Milan on May 16, 1718. She was the oldest of 21 children. (Oh those Catholics!) She wrote the first surviving mathematical work by a female. It was a huge two volume affair of more than one thousand pages.

While teaching algebra, I used to give the "Maria Agnesi Award" to the female student with the highest test grade. (Boys got the Da Vinci Award.) The lucky winner got a gift certificate for one of those little individual pizzas at Pizza Hut.

Actually, I wanted the chance to show off my new white dishes. They are very, very plain. I got them on sale at WSonoma. In the case of these dishes, the word "sale" is a bit of a stretch, which is why I have to wait on the soup bowls. The ones you see are old melamine bowls.

Still, the new dishes made regular old spaghetti and meat sauce taste like spaghetti alla marinara y carne. (Say those last words with an Italian accent.) Add some bread sticks, antipasto, soup, caprese salad and wine. Follow up with a cannoli (from the local Italian market) and two forks. As Billy Joel would say, "I'll meet you anytime you want in our Italian restaurant."

{{gwi:1425427}}

{{gwi:1425428}}

P.S. I'm Catholic.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions