SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi72_gw

Have architect...should we engage builder earlier or later?

mimi72
14 years ago

Well, after years of dreaming we have finally started down the path of building. After interviewing several architects, I have engaged one with whom I feel comfortable and who I feel shares our vision. In the process, I also started talking to a builder/contractor. We are planning a lot of "green" elements to the design, and this contractor has probably the most green experience in our metro area. Our architect, on the other hand, shares our modern vision but the green experience he has is more in the commercial rather than residential sector.

The builder is trying to sell the benefits of getting him on board early, in a design-build concept, rather than design-bid-build. He touts the benefits of having them involved early on in the design, to avoid costly rework later. Part of this makes sense. I do not want to duplicate my design costs, but he tells me his team's input on the design is part of his "package" and worth it to know he has a good project in the pipeline. While I don't want to give up the option of the "bid", there are not a lot of other quality players (that I know of at this point) in this space, and I do see the benefits of another, separate pair of eyes on the construction diagrams. Ones that must stick to my budget. Another option that I've read about on this forum is to bring in the contractor for a looksee or two at a couple checkpoints in the design process, to ensure we are on track with costs and overall design. Again, the builder is happy to do this for a fee but would rather be on board from the beginning and has valid-sounding reasons why this makes sense. Our architect acknowledges the valuable input that the contractor could have but advises leaving him out until later in the design process.

Any thoughts or experience?

Comments (13)