SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Vanity top and faucet ideas for a quick bathroom update?

maddybeagle
13 years ago

I've just bought a 1920s house that has a spacious and fairly functional but boring bathroom - Home Depot standard, pretty much stripped of period details. It has creamy white wall tiles, beige floor tiles, and a vanity in a mid-brown wood. These pics don't show the vanity, but they give a sense of how plain the current style is. Bear in mind that the wall color will change completely - color t.b.d., but I'm thinking something in the mango-coral-persimmon line!

I want to do a quick and cheerful update, knowing that I'll want to do a down-to-the-studs remodel in a few years, so I don't want to spend a lot on this round. I'm going to paint the walls a cheerful color and replace the toilet with a Toto in their standard Cotton White color, since the current one doesn't work too well and is an uncomfortable height for me. I'm planning on getting the Promenade, with its more traditional detailing, so I can reuse it in the 20s-style remodel down the road.

Here's where I'm being indecisive: I don't hate the vanity and it provides great storage space, so I'm inclined to keep it, but I'd like to replace the vanity top, which is a really cheapo-looking plasticky "ivory" color that doesn't relate to anything in the room. What's my best option for a vanity top that isn't a major investment but doesn't look cheap and would work with a slightly mismatched collection of whites? I'm drawn to Silestone blanco maple, but worry that Silestone would be over the top for a cheap-and-cheerful update. But maybe for a standard, 31"x22" vanity top, it wouldn't be so much of a splurge. Other options I should consider? Or is a nice vanity top going to be so expensive that I should just get the pedestal sink I really want, and not worry about the storage in the existing vanity?

The faucets that are in there at the moment are ug-ly and mismatched with each other, and the tub faucet is kaput, so I'd like to replace those. I'd like to strike a compromise between period style and a more modern, streamlined look, and, again, keep the price down. I prefer polished chrome. Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Carin

Comments (4)