SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Stupid question about DWs with panel-ready doors

julieste
10 years ago

We've had a major mess at our house--freeze up when we were out of town. At this point we are still getting bids on fixing the heating and plumbing because those are the big things. But, I am thinking ahead to the dishwasher if it will need to be replaced. Some plumbers have said to plan for sure on replacing it, and others say to wait and see.

Right now we have a top-of-the-line Kitchenaid that is about ten years old; it just has the standard front panel. But, if we need a new dishwasher, I am contemplating putting a panel on the front. This would entail getting a cabinet maker to make a custom one to match our custom cabinets. Since I am still unsure if I even need to replace my dishwasher, and won't even know until all of the plumbing is back in service, I do not want to contact a carpenter now for a quote.

So, end of story and my question: Can dishwashers that are panel-ready also be used as a standard, metal-front panel dishwasher in case I find out that the cost of a custom panel is just too much? Or, do the panel-ready have to have a panel put in them no matter what? I'd like to start doing my research now just in case, and I don't know if I'd have to research two separate types of dishwashers or if just one could serve in either situation. Thanks.

Comments (8)