SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettyd_z7_va

Pic heavy... Early Christmas in July

bettyd_z7_va
13 years ago

I think I finally figured out this new laptop.

Hope y'all don't mind if I start with Christmas!

Trying to find storage for all of these dishes and accessories is what stopped my shopping.

Sorry for the dark pictures. DH and I switched the tables to the den and used the garden type furniture in the den to make a sitting area in this space after I took these pics. Hopefully future pics will be lighter.

Don't get sick laughing too hard at me - When I tried to light the tapers, I realized they were wooden!!!!

I was standing behind the table in this shot trying to show the other side of my home-made centerpiece. It looks shabbier in the pic than IRL. You can see the container of wrapping paper in the top right.

Details, Betty! Start paying attention to details!!

We had been the unwilling recipients of a LOT of 'drama' from DH's daughter in November when we both were VERY ill with Swine Flu and had to place his Aunt in an assisted living home because we weren't able to care for her any more.

When I asked him in December what he wanted for Christmas he so sadly said, "I would love more than anything to have some peace."

When I shopped for items to make the centerpiece, I found the peace ornaments and thought, "How perfect!"

I even found some a little more rustic that I used in the swag across the table and on the mantel swag.

Other than the Beach table that DGS helped me create, this is by far the fullest table I've ever done.

There were 8 placesettings where I normally set 4, but it worked perfectly for our guests as well as another table set differently for DS and DGSs.

I saw these dishes one night last fall at TJ MAXX while we were wasting time waiting for our movie to start and fell hard. There weren't enough for a tablescape, but I grabbed what they had and hurried them into lay-a-way and walked fast back to the theater.

The following Monday DD and I were heading north to the next biggest city on the hunt. I went up and down each aisle of their TJ Maxx with my heart in my throat and a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as each aisle held not a dish.

Just as I gave up and started for the door I saw an aisle with Christmas items and there 'in all of their glory' were just enough of 'my' dishes for my tablescape.

While I was doing the happy dance DD was loading dishes in my cart saying, "I don't know that lady."

I have to share the story behind these napkins. I had searched high and low for napkins that would match these dishes with no luck. Even bought a set to 'make do' but hated them when I placed them near the dishes. I had the table complete, except for the fact - I HAD NO NAPKINS!

Alfred and I had decided earlier that since he had been laid off that we wouldn't exchange gifts for Christmas.

When I found something I wanted to give him I would give it to DS and tell him to wrap it up for Dad from him. (There is always a way around something you don't like!)

I did find a 'Chicken Soup For The Soul' book that he didn't have in his collection and had to get it for him. He LOVES those books.

I told him I had found something for less than $10 that I was giving him, but that was all. So, I would accept one gift from him. Otherwise, we really needed to save our money. (His way around the rule was to get a large box and put everything in that one box. Hence, the 'one gift'!!!)

OK, back to the napkins... I'm standing over the table moaning and groaning because I had been everywhere and didn't find my napkins. He finally said, "How badly do you want to finish this table?"

I said, "You have no idea."

He went in DS's room and came out and handed me these "PERFECT" napkins and said, "Merry Christmas."

I about broke his neck AND his back trying to hug and kiss him while I'm jumping up and down!!!

I ask you again - Ain't he grand?

I never want to forget the true reason for the season and the source of all my blessings.

I think I took pics of the other table as well as the mantel. I will try to post them later if y'all don't mind Christmas in late spring!!

I love how everyone who has a blog and participates in Susan's Tablescape Thursday at 'Between Naps On The Porch' shares where they found their treasures, so I will try to remember...

Dishes-TJ Maxx

Glasses-Tuesday Morning

Gold colored flatware-Tuesday Morning

Napkins-Kmart

Greenery swag across table-on sale for 1/2 off at Micheal's

Peace ornaments-nicer ones Walmart. More rustic ones Target

All of the fruit and 'pretties' in centerpiece and swag came from Michael's

Couldn't find pheasant feathers anywhere- Finally found them at Hobby Lobby in city 1 1/2 hours away.

Small votive holders-Michaels

Tallest wooden candle holders-Hobby Lobby I think

Bark looking candles-Kohls

Brass leaf candlestick holders and fake wooden tapers- local junk store

Nativity Ornament-A C Moore

I think that's everything!

Hope I didn't wear y'all out with my usual book-length post. lol

Betty

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions