SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

i found a home plan i really like

Zoe52
11 years ago

Here is the homeplan I really like that I found at Eplans.com I am not sure whose design it is but it looks like it might be a Betz plan, but I am not sure.

http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/hwepl12766.html

I needed a house with room enough that my husband can put all his exercise equipment in. There is a room in the upstairs (front bedroom) where they would fit. He is an exercise fanatic and doesn't want to part with ANY of them even though there is a full fitness center in our development. I am also giving him the entire bonus area over the two car garage for his man cave. He has over 2 tons of books (yeah, we just had them put in storage!) and he plans on making that into his office/library/large screen media room. In addition, he wants to have a fairly large workshop so we were planning on using half of the third car (separate) garage for that and the other half in front for a golf cart or an electric car. His stipulations have made it hard for me to find a home that can handle all that in addition to my needs.

My stipulations are that I still wanted to have a separate formal LR (we have a piano) and DR that I can enclose to keep my three cats out. I really want tp have fresh FLOWERS on my dining room table. Unfortunately, they like to eat them and they usually don't agree with their tummies. I also don't like them sleeping on my sofa and dining room chairs. They all have their own beds that they use intermittently. I believe we can do that with this plan, by putting in some glass french doors that will allow in the light and view but keep out the cats! I also really wanted to have a butler's pantry where I can have a separate smaller sink and an undercounter snack refridge mostly for drinks. This plan has that, too!

Unfortunately, what I really need is more room for my food storage. This plan has a pantry but I really need a much bigger one. I cook everything from scratch and keep A LOT of bulk items around. Without a basement allowed in my area (building in the coastal plains) I really need more storage. Other than the two garages there seems to be not much storage. There will be some storage under the den stairs that we can utilize. The attic seems small and the head space will be reduced it seems from the sloped roofline. I could condition the space up there. It would just be a long walk to get my extra food up there. And then where do you put everything else (Seasonal Items)??

How difficult would it be to make the single garage conditioned space so I can hang shelving in there for some of my bulkier items and canned goods?? I am not really keen on having them in there if the doors would be opened often ... due to temperature changes. But it would be more comfortable for my hubby when he works out there in the winter or hot summer.

Other than that I really love the layout and will probably have the bedroom space rearranged to give me a larger dressing area (I want all my dressers built into the closets so less dusting and less noise when someone comes in late into the bedroom to sleep) and a smaller sitting and bedroom area.

Some other changes would be would be to have a covered front porch rather than a stoop. And we are going to screen in the covered porch area in the back so we can enjoy it without the bugs eating us alive.

Any other suggestions you could give to help us gain more storage space would be greatly appreciated. We are meeting with our builder in a couple weeks and we wanted to show him this plan to get a rough estimate on how much it would cost to build. Then we will need to get started with the changes on the plan.

Comments (9)