SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearcactus

10' Rough In Elongated Toilet: Drake vs Cadet 3 vs Other?

pricklypearcactus
14 years ago

I'm trying to finish up a DIY bathroom remodel and unfortunately discovered the toilet I was intending to re-install broke during storage. I now need to replace the toilet with something new. These are my requirements (in order of priority):

• 10" Rough In

• Elongated Bowl

• Good solid waste removal

• Good bowl washing

• White

• Reasonable Price

I would also love to have something reasonably quiet and therefor prefer gravity pressure. Easy to clean would be wonderful, but I am not willing to spend significant extra money for that option.

I've been doing a lot of reading including searching GW, Terry Love's site, Consumer Reports, and more. I'm overwhelmed by the vast array of opinion on toilets! From what I can see, there is a VERY strong following for Toto, but I also see some unhappy owners. American Standard seems to have a less enthusiastic following, but still a number of happy customers (with specific toilets).

These seem to be my best options for reasonably priced toilets that fit my requirements.

Both seem to be well-rated and well-reviewed for waste removal. Both fit the 10" rough in and the elongated bowl and white requirements. (I eliminated the Kohler option due to low MAP rating and reviews.)

I have a few concerns and questions about both:

Toto Drake

• Does the bowl clean well? I know some had complaints about problems with other Totos and bowl cleaning. I absolutely cannot expect guests (or members of the household) to use a toilet brush to clean out the toilet after every solid waste usage. Occasional double-flush would be fine by me, though I'd prefer to minimize this.

• What is the longevity/repair rate? Do I need to worry about having to regularly repair it?

• Is it difficult to repair?

American Standard Cadet 3

• What is the longevity/repair rate? The toilet that didn't survive was an American Standard Cadet something. It worked fine for us for 3 or 4 years. However I've heard very negative comments regarding the longevity of American Standard products, though not specific to this one.

• Is it difficult to repair?

I would love to hear opinions on these specific toilets or suggestions of other toilets that fit my requirements. I would prefer to stay under $500. I can get the Toto Drake for $340 and the American Standard Cadet 3 for $230. Both are acceptable prices for me.

Comments (12)