SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wassworks

Has anyone used Celect Siding by Royal?

wassworks
10 years ago

I'm considering using this siding on my house. Let me know if you have any experience with it.

This description is from their website..

http://www.royalbuildingproducts.com/celect/

Introducing the world's most innovative siding product, Celect.

Celect is a 100% recyclable siding made entirely from cellular materials that faithfully emulates the appearance of wood. Celect�s patented interlocking system makes seams nearly invisible and keeps moisture out.

Comments (145)

• beeart
    4 years ago

Thank you for your responses. Very helpful! I hope to choose soon!

• PRO
    Westlake Royal Building Products
    4 years ago

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. We greatly appreciate your feedback. If you are interested, we'd be happy to connect you with your local Celect expert who can answer any questions you have about the product. Please send us a private message with your contact information and the city where you live and we'll put someone in touch with you right away.

• Related Discussions

Has Anyone Used Royal Oak Engineered Wood Flooring?`

Q

Comments (72)
    Yes, they had to sand it lightly and then carefully remove all dust and residue. I don’t get why you are buying this flooring to begin with though. I would never have bought it if I had known how poor the finish was and that the company didn’t care or stand behind their product. In the end, we spent much more than we would have if we had just bought a better product. There are quality wood and engineered floors out there. Why don’t you give them your business? I posted my experinece so that people could learn from my mistakes, not repeat them. 🙁
    ...See More

has anyone heard of or used celect siding by royal?

Q

Comments (3)
    I used Celect siding by Royal. It is definitely more money than Hardie, material and labor. I am in the middle of my first winter and so far it seems good. It was -14 a few days ago, and was generally frigid for the last 30 days.
    ...See More

Anyone have an opinion about Exterior Portfolios by Royal Vinyl Siding

Q

Comments (4)
    It would be a shame to take off all that beautiful original siding and replace it with garbage vinyl. I'd put the budget into a good brush stain and seal. Cared for cedar should last a hundred years. Derek Hurd Studio 1212 Live/Work/Create District 112 E. 33rd Garden City, ID 83714 208.841.4112
    ...See More

Hardie Plank vs Royal Celect 7

Q

Comments (2)
    Been in the same thought process. We have decided on the Royal Celect. Hardie in the past years has had some not great reviews. Our contractor guided us toward Celect. We have seen it in person and it looks quite nice. Wish I could give you more input. Let us know what you choose !
    ...See More
  • wdunnrx
    4 years ago

Has anyone used pvc trim for windows and corners that is not Celect brand? We have Celect frost and the regular pvc trim from our local company doesn't match. Looking for some ways to cut costs but only for a comparable solution.

• PRO
    4 years ago

We actually offer a second PVC trim line that you might be interested in! Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the city where you live, and we'll put you in touch with someone who can answer your questions about Royal Cellular PVC Trim colors and pricing. We're looking forward to hearing from you!

• HU-648144121
    4 years ago

We have this siding! looked good when first put on but not now most seams have cracked and pulled apart! Can not get any help with warranty work! This started after only 2 mo installed! Time to see a lawye!

• PRO
    4 years ago

Thank you for reaching out. We’re sorry to hear you’re having issues with your siding. Our Warranty Department handles all claims and would be the best team to reach out to (you can email them at rbpusaclaims@royalbuildingproducts.com or call them at 855-769-2585) but please send us a direct message with your name, location and contact information and we will pass it along to our team as well.

• Regan Erickson
    3 years ago

Trying to paint match the frost color so we can paint the stucco- has anyone matched the frost to a sherwin williams color?

• taconichills
    3 years ago

I had the nicest worker at a Sherwin Williams store try like crazy and match it for me but couldn't quite get close enough. White is the toughest color to match. I idid manage to successfully find a match at the Benjamin Moore store. If your interested I can get that code for you. It is shameful that Royal products has us going on these scavenger hunts after spending insane amounts of money on their products.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Hi! We're happy to provide any color codes you need. Frost is a true white, so the color codes are:

- CMYK: 0000

- RGB: 255 255 255

- Hex: FFFFFF

Hope this helps!

• HU-528815255
    3 years ago

It’s all in the installation process. if you follow the directions should you should not have a problem. I installed two years ago going on 3 years now. I live the NYC area with hot summers and cold winters. When its was being installed a few boards were off just a little and I made sure my contractor didn’t

use it. It’s supposed to lock-in on the side and top. Great product. Unlike vinyl siding you can’t see the seams where the two boards meet unless you’re up close.

• James Martin
    3 years ago

I'll echo the sentiment, I thin the material is great with some caveats. We had it installed in 2014, it was diatorted/melted on two walls by nearby window reflection. Also the recommended installer on the website that we used did not follow instructions and did not flash appropriately around my windows and I know am dealing with the consequences. its really unfortunate. but do your homework on any installer. I will say the material has held it's color well since we had gotten it, and we deal with alot of weather changes in new England.

but I'm hesitant to suggest it to anyone given my experience.

• KATHY SCHADLE
    3 years ago

Let me jump in here. I am 19 months out from the CELECT Siding failing horribly on our home. Agree that part of the problem is the installation. We have jumped through hoops with Royal Bldg in hopes of being reimbursed based on their Warranty. This was after placing heat strips on all sides of the house; at various levels and track the temperatures daily for several weeks. Royal agreed we had a valid claim. Unfortunately, the so called "Home Improvement" company has not responded or offered to honor their warranty on their labor. Contacted Attorney General for both MO and KS (ALENCO is domiciled in KS). Royal Bldg has a product that we used to replace the CELECT. It looks just as great as CELECT but is installed like old style siding. You might look at their Royal Haven Insulated SIding. Same look at a fraction of the CELECT Siding. Oh, and Royal Bldg is also dragging their heels on settling. So, just beware. Good Luck. Oh, and ALENCO is still using our house on their website! Even though they say "no longer install CELECT". Okay. Sure. Fine. You betcha.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Hi, we're very sorry to hear you had a negative experience with Celect and would like to learn more. Please send us a private project inquiry with your name and contact information, and we'll have someone reach out to you right away, if you'd like.

• Kim Cody
    3 years ago

This is awful!

• HU-528815255
    3 years ago

It sure is. It looks like it was installed wrong. The contractor possibly did not follow manufacturer’s installation instructions. Possible causes (1.) nailed to tight or (2) Didn’t leave enough ron around the edges to allow movement.

• James Martin
    3 years ago

@kim kody are there any cars or windows facing that side, is that side facing the sun? I had a portion of my siding deformed from light reflected from an adjacent window. not something the installer told me to look out for.

• HU-671568409
    3 years ago

Watch out for this company. We used their siding and it proved defective. They declined to honor their waranty and won't return calls. We now have to take them to court for lack of settlement.

• HU-528815255
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I Installed it on my house in 2018 and no problems so far... in the morning it gets direct sunlight.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Hi, we're very sorry to hear you had a negative experience with us and would like to learn more. Please send us a private project inquiry with your name and contact information, and we'll have someone reach out to you right away, if you'd like.

• HU-973981960
    3 years ago

I have the Royal Building Products board and batten installed and after a year, there was little signs of warping taking place. Now after two years there is significant warping. I've had the installer check multiple times and even during the afternoon heat, the panels have room for expansion. The installer questions the product quality and puts the efforts on me the homeowner. I contacted Royal with a few simple questions looking for a recommended professional in my area for a second opinion, and I was told to submit a claims package and remove a section of siding to ship them. Sorry, I wont be grabbing a hammer and pulling off siding. My next step is contacting the supplier of the Royal products for advice. I welcome Royal, or any professionals out there, to ask any questions or offer advice as well...

• HU-528815255
    3 years ago

I’m no expert but it seems to me like it was installed wrong... the contractor possibly didn’t leave room for expanding and contracting. nailed the product the wrong way.. you have to leave at least 1/2 to 1 inch off around your trim... the product has to be allowed to move...

• James Martin
    3 years ago

I've been in contact with the supplier installed right or not, of there are any windows reflective from a a neighbor or car this can happen. I have a window next to a right angle wall and the reflection caused warping ony wall. they suggested I put up storm windows or a shade film. both of which are not great options. I really haven't been happy with the product, from improper installation from a "certified" installer to warping, and overall weak product management.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Hi, we're very sorry to hear you had a negative experience with us and would like to learn more. Please send us a private project inquiry with your name and contact information, and we'll have someone reach out to you right away, if you'd like.

• reliablemarket
    3 years ago

I am building a home on Wellesley Island on the St Lawrence River in Upstate NY. Presently I live in an apartment building that has used Celect 7” horizontal smooth clapboard in Latte. I am seriously pursuing using this product on my home and had no problems receiving samples and using Home Tool online. There are 100 apts in this complex and this product looks great. I think as has been mentioned, the installer is key. I have spoken with the crew that is working on this project to travel to install. They will. Most likely I will incur some additional charges but the peace of mind to have someone who could do this in their sleep is valuable.

• micaitalia
    2 years ago

@reliablemarket, do they cover all of NY? Looking for an installer.

• PRO
    2 years ago

@micaitalia Hi there, our products are sold throughout the U.S. and Canada through various distributors and contractors. Please use our product locator tool to find the ones nearest you: https://www.royalbuildingproducts.com/find-our-products.

• Jennifer Alexander
    2 years ago

I reached out to Royal and they basically said it was installed incorrectly. I went to an installer on Royals list of recommendations so I assumed they knew how to install. So now I’m here with a terrible install apparently with a terrible company- Alenco in Overland Park.

• Kim Cody
    2 years ago

I had a very similar experience. It’s awful! Zero accountability!

• Kim Cody
    2 years ago

Do not use this company!

• PRO
    J.S. Vinyl Co., Inc.
    2 years ago

Kim, I can see from your pics that it is definitely installed incorrectly. I feel that Celect is a good product but not very forgiving to small installation errors. I would guess that maybe 10% of siding installers are qualified to install it. All siding products need the installer to be mindful of expansion and contraction but Celect takes that concern to another level. I have installed it maybe 5 or 6 times with no issues but I stress the importance to my guys every time!

• Kim Cody
    2 years ago

A rep from Royal came to my property and confirmed we did it correctly the second time. When it was time for warranty review, it was denied.

• PRO
    J.S. Vinyl Co., Inc.
    2 years ago

The rep was wrong. A lot of reps for these companies are contract workers not actual employees. Some are better than others. On a vertical board and batten installation it should be hanging on the top nail and all the expansion would go to the bottom of the panel. The bottom joint in the pictures looks way too tight. Might be okay if installed on a 100 degree day otherwise there will be problems.

• reliablemarket
    2 years ago

I may be seeing a co-relation of direction of siding placement with this product. It seems the customers using a horizontal placement have no complaints,see pics, while the vertical has many faults. So, use a qualified installer if going vertical.

• PRO
    J.S. Vinyl Co., Inc.
    2 years ago

I've seen just as big of problems with horizontal. Use only top notch installers for either. I would recommend getting at least a 5 year labor warranty from an established contractor.

• josey11
    2 years ago

This post has been going for 7 years. Our installation was done over 6 years ago and it is still perfect. No issues at all..

• Audrey Quimby
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My problem is not with installation but with mold. I live in NYC. My siding is just 3 years old. After last winter I had the same problem. This year it is worse. Any recommendations? I have the 7" horizontal smooth clapboard siding in the Cotton color.

• PRO
    J.S. Vinyl Co., Inc.
    2 years ago

I have had good luck with a product called Stain Solver. If you clean it but don't kill the spores it will come back fast.

• Dan Hotea
    last year

I'm an installer so here is my advice never ever go vertical think about you going against gravity i never install one and never will its just plain stupid oh but looks different lol and as far is celect its a great product in my opinion however its fairly new so i can speak for long term i install 7 houses in la cross area Wi and i will install them in my house in the next 3 months waiting for the product fyi its a very expensive product be prepare to pay up to 3 times the regular cost depending on how much trim you need

• Bob and Barb Niemiec
    last year

Celect siding has expansion and contraction issues. We built a new house with celect siding and a reputable installer. So far six expansion joints have been replaced and now two more joints need replacing. When weather changes due to heat or cold you can hear the siding expanding and contracting inside the house.

Very noisy product. I definitely would not recommend this product.

• Dale Gibson
    last year

Are all the posted photos in this thread indeed Celect OR are some of them Royal's more traditional vinyl siding?

• josey11
    last year

From what i see they are Celect . Our installation is now over 7 years old and problem free.

• Dale Gibson
    last year

@josey11 yours is a board and batten install?

• josey11
    last year

No, a combination of regular and shakes.

• HU-973981960
    last year

As an update to my post from 2+ years ago (photo of Marine Blue board and batten above), the siding is unfortunately, even worse today with more locations warped. The siding was purchased from Wimsatt Building Materials located in Grand Rapids, MI and installed by a local contractor. Sadly, I was placed between a contractor and Royal Building Products who each pointed the finger at one another. I was even asked by Royal to remove siding from my house and postal mail to Canada a piece so they can review it! Sure, I'll grab my hammer and tear off a piece! Nope. This begs the question, bad product or faulty installation? According to the Royal Building Products website one of the benefits of this siding is "Won’t warp, buckle or sag." It even reads that to this day. I tend to disagree and have proof if anyone would like more photos.

Now that I have ranted again, I will mention that I absolutely love the color of the Marine Blue and plan to hire another contractor this spring/summer to remove and install new siding. Unfortunately, this will be out of my pocket entirely. I want to choose Royal Building Products again, but need to have Royal Building Products provide me with an "approved contractor" contact information so that if (when?) the product fails, it is 100% on them. Maybe they would even consider offering a product discount or a trade-in value for my existing pieces? :D

• PRO
    J.S. Vinyl Co., Inc.
    last year

A couple things,

First I didn't notice until I went back and looked at your pics just now that your board and batten siding wasn't Celect siding by RBP it was their vinyl siding version of board and batten. This thread is about Celect which is a completely different product.

Second, It is easy to spot if you've seen many faulty installs that your problem id definitely installation related.

Third, even if you use a manufacturer approved contractor any problems that are installation related will be a dispute between you and the contractor. If a manufacturer has several complaints about installation from one contractor they will probably remove them from their list of approved installers but the vast majority of the time the manufacturer won't be liable.

Do your homework and ask to see at least 4 or 5 different jobs before choosing an installation contractor.

• Dale Gibson
    last year

Neither of the issue photos in this thread look like Celect.

• lance_m_ferris
    last year
    last modified: last year

It seems most of the complaints are with RBP's vinyl B&B, not Celect. Has anyone installed Celect or had any issues with Celect? Looking at their 11 in B&B Wrought Iron. How about cost per sq ft?

• PRO
    J.S. Vinyl Co., Inc.
    last year

On average I would be $7 to $9 per sq. ft. depending on job plus trim,

• lance_m_ferris
    last year

Thanks!

• reecejones
    5 months ago

I've recently completed an install of Royal Celect.

I was extremely careful to follow all installation instructions. I was sure to leave the required space around all of my windows/corners for expansion and left the required space behind all of the nail heads to allow for expansion.

The end result looks good however I can literally hear every single movement throughout the interior of my house as the siding expands and contracts.

With the amount of time & money I spent on this premium product I am left feeling extremely unhappy.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have the noises gone away over time?

Thanks,

Reece