SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

How did you choose an exterior stain?

jaymielo
16 years ago

I have a question for veteran home builders. We are about to install a prestained siding. This is the Nichiha fiber cement shake product. We will also have a mahogany front door and cedar garage doors. The garage doors need to be stained with Sikkens stain in order to not void the warranty, so I'm assuming we will go with the same brand of stain for the front door. I would also assume that the two species of wood will stain very differently. Do I need to get some wood scraps from a local lumberyard, buy a bunch of colors of the stain and play around with staining both species of wood to figure out which is the best match for the siding on the two different species? Of course, the problem is made interesting my the stain being special order. Doh! I've probably just answered my own question, but for some reason this is seeming overwhelming to me today. Has anyone else faced a similar problem of having several species of wood on the exterior of their home? If so, how did you go about dealing with this? TIA for any advise.

Comments (3)