SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazyjane75_gw

Help picking 36" Gas Range (please)

lazyjane75
10 years ago

For some reason I just cannot make up my mind about which 36" all gas range to get. I think I've read about every post on this forum--which might be the problem :) Planning on 6 burners, don't need self-clean. I really need to decide soon as we are aiming to get our kitchen remodel done before baby #3 arrives in July! I like to cook. I am by no means a professional chef, but I'm not too bad.... I have not up to this point done much wok/stirfrying, but it might be fun to try. I do think a good low simmer is essential, though.

I've got it narrowed down to these three (in no particular order).

1. American Range Performer
2. Wolf (all gas)
3. Thermador Pro Harmony (all gas)

I also considered Blue Star, but honestly I don't like the look of it. The display model at our local high end appliance store has a big gap between the door & the drip tray & the door sticks out a lot, which overall looks kind of crappy. I do want my kitchen to be pretty. And I'm a bit worried about those hot door comments. Plus the BS is about $500 more than the most expensive range on my list (Wolf). The build quality on the Platinum & Precious Metals versions looks better, but those are even more $$$. I have also read many posts on this site expressing great enthusiasm for the CC, but it's even more expensive than the Blue Star & also not at a local store, so I can't check it out in person.

So, back to my narrowed down list. I keep thinking I should just get the American Range, but (a) like the CC, no local stores carry the AR - I could probably drive 4 hours to see it someplace, but I'm a working mom of 2 toddlers (with a husband who works crazy hours) and that's just not happening - though the reviews on this site seem to indicate that the build quality is better than the Blue Star, I'm still a bit nervous about buying it sight unseen; (b) I've read all sorts of rave reviews about the incredible heat it puts out, but I'm concerned about the ability to simmer, which I definitely need; and (c) I kind of wish it had 2 same size burners next to each other so I can cook pancakes on a stovetop griddle more easily (though I imagine I could probably do a special order replace one of the 25K btu burners with an 18K to remedy that - but I wonder what the upcharge would be & how much lead time that would add & I have that baby deadline....).

The Wolf is lovely in the store. My mother in law has one (dual fuel - which I understand is now the same top) and she loves it. Definitely no problem with the simmer. But I wonder if I'll be disappointed with the sealed burners sending all the heat to the outside of my smaller saucepans. And also whether I'll miss having at least one high powered burner.

The Thermador is also lovely. Love those gliding racks in the oven. It has sealed burners, but I wonder if the star shape helps a little? Also, 18K burners v. only 15K on the Wolf. Low simmer on two burners seems like it would be adequate. And the price is better than Wolf (I would get a free Sapphire level dishwasher, which I realize is a rebadged Bosch, but we had Bosch in our last kitchen & loved it & plan to buy a Bosch w/ either of the other two ranges). My concerns are (a) references on here to a host of bad reviews elsewhere (?); (b) I've seen a couple things about circuit boards going bad (are there circuit boards on the gas range?); and (c) comments about some fan that runs too often and too loudly.

So, I'd love feedback from those of you who might own any of these ranges. I'm hoping someone one this forum can help me make up my mind.... TIA!

Comments (11)