SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiaplaya

Rust spots on flatware - what to do?

californiaplaya
13 years ago

I bought a set of Oneida flatware 5 years ago that I always wash in the dishwasher. On the information that came with it, it states: "In a dishwasher: Your Oneida stainless is dishwasher safe and stain resistant. However, if any discoloration should develop (caused by hard water) use a stainless cleaner and follow instructions carefully." Over time, I've been getting more and more spots, which look like rust all over the pieces. I did as recommended in the directions, and got some Wright's silver polish. This seemed to have no effect on the spots. I contacted Oneida today, and they asked if I wash them in a dishwasher and if I use a liquid or gel detergent and I said yes to both. She then said that they do see this problem with liquid or gel dishwashing detergents. She said that it is too abrasive and contains too much citrus and thats what causes it. She suggested using a powdered detergent instead. I've always used Cascade Complete (Advanced Power at Costco) gel detergent. So I asked if I should use the same formula Cascade Complete, just in a powder, and she said yes.

This seemed a bit odd to me, as I would think the cleaning ingredients in the same line of powder and liquid Cascade would be the same. I then called Cascade. They told me that there is no citrus or citric acid in any of the Cascade products. And there isn't any major difference in the cleaning ingredients of the liquid and powder lines. So, if this problem is being caused by the gel, it would most likely be caused by the powder as well. But, she also said that Cascade recommends hand washing and silverware and not putting it in the dishwasher at all. Oneida did offer to replace my set, I just have to pay for shipping to get it to them. But I'd like to avoid this from happening again.

Anyone know anything about this? Would the simple switch from gel to powdered dishwasher detergent fix this? I actually use gel because I found in the past that if I use powder, sometimes theres is powder residue left behind on the dishes. Is this just a cheap brand or type of flatware? I'd like to wash it in the dishwasher as opposed to hand washing it. Are there other brands or types of flatware that hold up to dishwashing better?

Thanks!

Comments (19)