SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Help! N/1 or N/N DH Windows

drjoann
14 years ago

I've read & reread the chapter on window lights in "Get Your House Right" (GYHR) and I'm still in a tizzy. We like the look of DH windows which are 4 lites, 6 lites (or whatever due to proportion) on top and no divisions on the bottom. "GYHR" says that this is appropriate to some kinds of architecture, but doesn't say what those are. The Jeld Wen site says "Colonial" for that style, but has Colonial listed for just about every pattern except Prairie or custom.

The designer talked us out of N over 1 saying it wouldn't look right. She did the elevations as 2 over 2 for every single window and for the lights in the French doors. This includes multiple windows which are 3'x6' so the lights are pretty large when there are only 4 of them.

I looked through my book with lots of pictures of historical Shingle Style houses and I just don't see 2 over 2 windows. However, there are quite a few that are N over 1 and some that are mixed in with N over N.

We've also looked through the architects on the Boston Design Guide and haven't found 2 over 2. A larger percentage of the houses have N over N windows (or casements which are evenly divided), but there are plenty which are N over 1.

I don't want to do the wrong thing, but the 2 over 2 leave us cold. Does anyone have advice for N over 1 versus N over N (where N > 2)? Or, should we stick with the 2 over 2 the designer spec'd?

Thanks - Jo Ann

Comments (15)