SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

cleaning linens with metallic threading

san_
15 years ago

hi! i recently got several beautiful pieces on e-bay and need to soak them for a bit before i can (literally) press them for use. 2 tablecloths are pure linen--one is white and one is off-white. 6 napkins are off-white linen. the white cloth has a couple of extremely minor pale stains, which i intend to spritz with a little diluted "shout" and then put into the washer with hot water and some "20 mule team borax" and a little laundry detergent. the other linens each have a bit of residue from the very old paper stickers that were glued on there a number of years ago and i intend to treat them the same way.

the other cloth i got this week does not have a tag on it. i suspect that is a cotton blend and it has several stripes running through it that are some sort of metallic gold and silver threads. i also have about half a dozen napkins in a maize yellow with gold threads that i've been holding off washing until i knew how to handle them.

NONE of these have been washed before. would you bother to separate the white cloths from the off-white and/or the yellow? and i'm not sure why i'm so hesitant to clean the cloths with the metallic threads. one of the napkins has a significant stain on it so i guess i could put that in by itself and experiment with it...i was just wondering if anyone here might be able to tell me something from experience. thanx, folks!

Comments (4)