SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettyd_z7_va

Thanks, Everyone. Update on Alfred- A little OT!

bettyd_z7_va
15 years ago

It has been 9 months and 28 days since I shared with y'all how horribly Alfred had been crushed in a machine at work and asked for your prayers. I didn't even realize myself at the time how seriously he was hurt.

There were so many times that we almost lost him during those initial 44 days in the hospital. I can't begin to thank you all for the prayers, all of the messages of comfort, and healing wishes you sent our way. They helped me get through the worst time of my life.

As he turned the corner and was able to get in a wheelchair, I took him to a room close by that had a computer that patients could use and showed him all of your messages. Tears came to his eyes when he saw all of your mesages from around the world saying that you were lifting him up in prayer.

He told me once that some of the procedures that he had to have while awake were so painful that he wanted to just give up and tell them to stop and let him die, that the only reason he didn't was because of Terry (our 15 year old DS still at home) and me.

Y'all will never know how much your messages of hope meant to me during those dark times.

And now, for the MIRACULOUS good news. My Darling went back to work full time last Monday!!!! Not at the same place,thank God. Our whole family would have had a fit if he had tried to go back to that place. A new job was offered to him that he enjoys and can learn more and have chances of advancement without so much danger and being constantly under the gun to make that production quota daily at all cost ( and y'all know the cost). He had to take a cut in pay in the beginning, but not much considering he had been at the other place for 25 years!

God provided for all of our needs and some of our wants (dishes!!) while he was injured and unable to work and He has never let us down and won't in the future.

I am sooooo grateful for all of our blessings. Every day with Alfred is a special gift. He still has some issues with his back due to the injuries to his spine that he may have to baby a little, but his surgeon has released him to work with no restrictions so hs won't be denied health insurance. His boss is a good christian friend who goes to our church and is very laid back where Alfred is concerned. I have to laugh because it is so laid back at his new job, that he comes home a little frustrated sometimes trying to adjust to the slower pace. He gets bored with not having a million things to do!!! Can you imagine? All I can say is "God is good all the time" and so are my friends here.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Now I have to get busy and lose these 20 POUNDS I've gained sitting around with Alfred all of this time!!!!

With Lots Of Love,

Betty

Comments (19)

• dreamgoddess
    15 years ago

Betty, what wonderful news! I'm so glad to hear that he's well enough to go back to work and was offered a new job. What a true blessing for you and your family.

• mo13
    15 years ago

Betty,
    I was so moved reading your post. Congrats to Alfred on his new job. And congrats to both of you for getting though almost 10 months of stress.

Mo

• Related Discussions

OT: A little green catepillar on bush bean leaves/radish leaves?

Q

Comments (1)
    A pciture is helpful for ID. Do you know that there is BT in your soil and even the air in which you grow your food? And veggies in your grocery might be genetically engineered to contain BT? Karen Here is a link that might be useful: Organic thread
    ...See More

OT: Hibernating everyone?

Q

Comments (24)
    She is a cutie Knotz. Mine is 2 months old, I just got him yesterday. Name isGizmo . I am ging to try to get him used to brushing and the sound of trimmers early on so he won't freak out when he needs groomed. I think I might attempt the trimming myself when his hair grows long enough. I wish I could have brought his brother home too to keep him company, but that wasn't happening. Maybe sometime down the road I will get another one, we'll see. He is so affectionate. Did you have trouble housebreaking her? The breeder I got him from had the pups trained pretty well to go on newspapers so I am hoping it won't be too hard to get him to go outside.
    ...See More

OT : POTD: Wishing everyone a wonderful Labor Day Weekend

Q

Comments (12)
    Dorothy, to show how much I love my sunshine, I can come up with many ways to display her favorite flower :-) Ann I hope my wishing that your day is going to be FUN and without stress at work, helped. Or? Caren I had to LOL...I had to have a BBQ grill...and I am just not cooking much or BIG these days anymore :-( Ingrid you show me over and over again how much joy our angels bring to us!!! Brenda that is all I want to do...bring joy with what I do. Just what you do brings this loved feeling to the newbies and US. Hugs and thanks to all Lucy
    ...See More

update on doctor & thank you!!! everyone!!

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm so glad to hear the good news, I know it's a big relief and you can have a little peace of mind and go about feeling more normal. You have my continued prayers all will be well and your DS can go about his life. Hug's to you all
    ...See More
  • bettyd_z7_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dream and Mo. You know I had to share the good news with my family here.
    Now I have to find my way back to my pre-accident mode or try to discover a new path to travel. Normal life just stopped suddenly for 10 months and I'm having a little trouble 'getting back into the saddle' so to speak. I'm not even sure where it is! I know there is a new adventure waiting, I just have to find it!
    Betty

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Wonderful news Betty! You will be up and running soon, and we won't be able to keep up with you!
    Hugs to you both,
    Jaybird

• ncnana
    15 years ago

OMgosh Betty, I wasn't reading this board nine months ago, so I had to go back and read your posts from back then. What an incredible story. I am so happy that it had a happy ending, and that Alfred is back at work at a safer job. God is good. - Gail

• bettyd_z7_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jay, I doubt seriously that I will move fast enough that y'all can't keep up with me! I will give Alfred his hug as soon as he gets home from work, and tell him it's from you!

Gail, How sweet that you would take the time to go back and hunt up the old posts. I love this place. I've never run across a mean person here. That's exactly why I asked for prayers here. I knew I would get them. And yes, God is very good.
    Betty

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Betty...At the time I came aboard here, I did not know the full extent of Alfred's injuries. What a nightmare. However, I'm so happy that 'Both' of you, are in a wonderful place today. Congratulations on Alfred's new job...'Onward & Upward'... Praise God!
    jane

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

Betty, I can remember feeling just "sick" when I read your post about Alfred's accident back then. I offered up prayers immediately! It is so wonderful to hear he has gone back to work...I didn't really think that was a possibility with how badly he was injured. God truly works in mysterious ways...maybe he was meant to get out of his old job and didn't realize it until this tragedy happened. Thanks for sharing this update with us. Thanks be to God!

DD

• bettyd_z7_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jane, we were posting at the same time!
    One thing I can truly say about Alfred, he will never let you get bored!!!!!
    Seriously, we have to be careful what we ask for when we pray. Ever since we got married in '96 we've been complaining that we never had enough time together. Even after I retired in Dec '07 we still didn't have much quality time together because he would come home dog tired from the job. I had prayed and asked God for a way for us to be together more. He answered my prayer, but not in a way I could have imagined.
    We sing a song at church that's called "Through It All" Some of the words in it are - 'I thank Him for the mountains, and I thank Him for the valleys. I thank Him for the storms He's brought me through. 'Cause if I'de never had a problem, I'de never know that He could solve them. I'de never know what faith in God can do.'

Now I know.

Betty

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Betty, I am so happy to hear Alfred can return to work! God was certainly with you ...I still remember reading the day you posted.
    You are both inspirations..and I wish you both many, many happy years together!
    Best dishes, I mean wishes! :)
    And Happy Easter!

• valleymagpie
    15 years ago

Betty,
    Like Gail, I wasn't reading this forum until after Alfred's accident. I am so happy that he is on the road to recovery. I'm sure it will be slow going at first but over the months I am sure he'll get better and better. Do take care of yourself.

- Magpie

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Oh, what wonderful news. I hadn't even dared to hope that he'd be able to work again--was just so relieved that he had survived at all! I'm sure that the loving care he received from you played a big part in his recovery. He's a very luck man in so many ways! ;o)

Thank you for taking the time to share this update with us Betty. And don't worry, you'll get back in the groove soon enough--and we're always here to inspire you when your creative urge hits.

Oh, if you figure out how to drop those 20 lbs, I'd sure love to hear your secret--I can't seem to lose mine!

Luvs

• printersdevil
    15 years ago

Thank you for sharing this update. May God continue to bless your family.

• oreos_mom
    15 years ago

Betty, how wonderful for you and your dear hubby ! God and miracles do exist ... and no matter how much the government tries to take away everything with his name on it, we all know he's here watching over us. Your Alfred is living proof !

Susan

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

You just made my day hearing such fantastic news. I wasn't sure Alfred would ever go back to work, tho I knew his recovery was nothing short of miraculous! Its almost hard to believe that over 9 months have passed. I remember your posts from that time so vividly. I think all of us do who were here with you at that time. Alfred's strength, spirit, and your amazing love got him thru this...and our prayers were with you every step of the way.
    I am smiling and a bit teary-eyed after reading your post, TWICE.
    And I certainly understand your feelings regarding to getting back to the pre-accident mode of life. When your world gets turned upside down and inside out, you just have to find a "new normal". And you will.

{{gwi:77274}}

• yachter123
    15 years ago

We seem to have many stories of family problems at this forum & then miracles that take place! So glad your story is one of them.

We can only take things a day at a time, and I'm sure there were days you thought you & Alfred could not take anymore, but God does provide & take care of us!

Bless you both!

• bettyd_z7_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DD, I took so long posting earlier that I missed your post. Sorry. Alfred actually said that he believes that he was supposed to leave that job before he got hurt, but he dragged his feet because he really didn't believe he could find another job with a salary near his at his age with only a high school education. He is such a dear, sweet, humble man that he really doesn't realize just how valuable he would be to any company that he worked for. I've never met any man other than my Daddy who is as honest, hardworking, faithful, and dependable as he is.
    I believe he won't be as afraid to take the steps that he needs to take from now on. I don't know what the future holds for us, but I'm looking forward to it. And I will always appreciate your prayers and support.

Kathleen, LOL!! I love that "Best Dishes"!! If I could find the deals that you do I would have the "Best Dishes"!!

Thank you, Magpie. He's come a long way.

Luvs, I never dreamed he would work again either. He's definately my "Miracle Man"! I remember how hard it was to just sit and watch him suffer, day in and day out, afraid to leave him for even a minute. And I wouldn't unless our son, daughter, or pastor was there. Then I would run take a shower as quick as I could and rush back hoping that nothing had happened to him while I was gone.
    Now, after almost 10 months of just sitting around with him I've gotten so lazy!! We have to remember he got physical therapy. I didn't get a physical therapist to get me back into shape!! LOL! I've got to push myself to change these lazy habits to busy habits! Easier said than done!

Thank you, PD. I know Alfred was hurt before you joined our "family", but I'm glad you're here now in our cheering section!

Thanks, Susan. He "IS" living proof. His poor abdomen, sides, and back look like he ended on the wrong side of some knives and ice picks in a bad fight. He told me one time he was sorry for not being more careful and getting "butchered up". I was quick to reassure him that his scars were a reminder of how good God was to bring him through impossible odds, and how hard he fought to stay with me. I love him more now than I did before the accident. I almost lost him and I treasure him, faults and all!

Thank you so much, Karen. You certainly know from experience everything we've gone through. That's what makes your prayers and encouragement so special to me.

Thanks, Yacht. I'm glad to hear you and your's are feeling better. It's been rough sailing for you too, lately. One thing is for sure, you can't be lazy chasing after that DGS full-time the way you do.
    I'm so glad I found this forum when I did. What a loving, caring, and sharing family. I'm so Blessed to be a part of it.
    Betty

• prosperity66
    15 years ago

What fantastic news! I'm so happy for your DH!

• bettyd_z7_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Prosp,
    So glad to hear from you.
    Betty

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions