SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Floor plan feedback - getting permits and having 2nd thoughts

Mom23Es
12 years ago

I thought we had everything perfect, and now I'm having doubts. We got our first drawings from the cabinet guy, and it's making things so real. I'm panicking about the master bath sinks/vanity area and the kitchen layout. Well, maybe I'm actually just panicking about everything!!!

A little bit about us. DH and I have three kids: 3.5 years, 1.5 years, and 7 weeks. We are hoping to live in this house for as long as we're raising our kids, and we're doing our best to design a space that will grow with our changing needs. DH is a computer guy and works from home a lot, so we've decided to repurpose the formal dining room as a den/office. We are also musicians and needed a space for our grand piano, our woodwind quintet, and a teaching studio. We also wanted a way to have casual recitals so we have the sunroom to use for our "audience". We cook a lot so the kitchen is a big deal. For the moment, I am a stay at home mom so it's very important for me to be able to hear and see my kids while they're playing and I'm doing everyday housework like cooking, cleaning, or laundry. We will not be finishing the basement for now, but we plan to in the future; 9' ceilings, full bath rough in, and egress window.

Finally, our house will be on top of a hill. The grading was very tricky to figure out. The kitchen and family room face directly south, so we will have a lot of sun. The west side of the house is treed. We have a BEAUTIFUL view of a river, blue heron and bald eagle nests in the trees, and lots of woods from the west side of our house. We have tried to incorporate windows to take advantage of these views.

So please help. I'm panicking at the moment. The builder is in the midst of getting permits and they want to start digging asap.

{{gwi:1421766}}

{{gwi:1421768}}

Comments (31)