SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snrub_gw

hood recommendations: small house, big stove

snrub
16 years ago

I am in the decision stage of a kitchen renovation and need to get a hood to vent the bluestar 30" RNB that I'm going to get. I've lurked for a good while, read a ton of stuff on this and other sites, and unfortunately there are so many brands and models that finding specific info isn't easy.

My house is small (1000 sq. ft) and space is at a premium, so I'm concerned with a couple of things:

1. getting something that I can put a cabinet above, i.e. not taking up the whole wall if possible, and

2. noise. The entire lot that my house sits on is 16x36. The whole downstairs is basically one room, LR/DR/kitchen. I currently have one of the Broan Allure III hoods over my crappy old stove, and on lower settings it's really quiet.

I'm looking at a 600 CFM hood, generally speaking. It's going directly through a wall to outside. I don't have room to go wider.

Models I'm looking at:

1. Vent-a-hood, either the PRH9 9" undercabinet hood, or possibly the CW line--although I'm not sure I can actually get what I want in that model.

2. Thermador PHH30DS, which has the additional advantage of being vented directly out the back instead of the top, which saves space in the cabinet above.

3. Best K210A 30" hood.

4. (sorry one more): the AirPRO AP238 30"

my questions are:

1. VAH - ok none, these have been discussed extensively on here

2. Thermador: how loud is this thing really? I think my parents have a thermador hood and it's pretty rattly and noisy even on a low setting.

3. Best: the only internal blower that comes with it is 500 CFM. I'm not overly concerned by that lack of power, although maybe I should be? But has anyone installed one of these? Does it vent directly out the back, or out the top and turn? It appears you can do a direct back vent, which would be great. On the other hand, that 500 CFM isn't much more than the 430 that my current hood does on boost -- and it's the same company after all..

4. AirPRO - only eurokitchen sells this one -- does anyone know the brand? it seems like just what I'm looking for, except for the top-venting aspect of things.

Any thoughts by anyone with these models would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)