SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresas_gw

Help with disgusting rental - slime mold and nicotine

theresas
19 years ago

I need some recommendations on cleaning two bathrooms. The master bathroom has a shower stall that was covered, literally covered, in orange and pink molds. When I scrubbed it off with a brush then used water to send it down the drain, it smelled like raw sewage. I'm sure now that I should have been wearing a face mask or a full biosuit :) It has been cleaned 3 times with professional strength shower cleaner and still is gross in corners. I'm going with straight bleach in a spray bottle next. I think that should have been my first choice.

The second bathroom has a tub with shower surround. Regular scrubbing bubbles and good old fashioned elbow grease got the black out of the tub, but I was not very successful in getting the nicotine stains out of the grout. I tried Soft Scrub gel with bleach too. Any recommendations there?

This is a very temporary housing situation as I sold my townhouse and have not found another place to buy, but in the meantime, I do need the bathrooms clean. One is fit for human use after 6 hours of scrubbing. I still have a long way to go on the floor, but it is bleached and fit for walking.

Any hints for removing nicotine from the bathroom walls would help too. They didn't paint one of the bathrooms (they claim they sealed the rest of the walls with Killz and painted over them, but the ceilings haven't been touched--guess we'll be doing that too).

The kitchen is coming soon. Ewww.

Comments (9)