SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yborgal

labmomma-----pewter

yborgal
17 years ago

I'm happy to learn there's someone else out there who collects pewter. Mine isn't the real thing; it's the alternative metal by Wilton Armetale and Arthur Court. I call it pewter, though.

I love it but I find that unless I pair it up with a dramatic color, like black or deep red, then it looks cold and uninviting.

I don't think it looks good with pastels, but maybe it's because I'm a newbie at tablescapes and don't quite know what I'm doing.

How do you present it on your table to make it look inviting?

Comments (27)

• labmomma
    17 years ago

So happy to find another pewter collector! Can you share where you found the placesettings in your St. Pat's pics? I don't have any placesettings, but I have enough accessory pieces to choke a horse:). My pieces are from family, tag, estate and antique sales. I am always on the lookout. I didn't know you could eat off of the pewter. When I use my larger plates/chargers, I put either a doily, leaves (Williams-Sonoma) or another plate over the pewter. I use them for serving hor de overs (sp??) and things like that. I really don't clean the pewter except with a soft cloth. I like the "aged" pewter look myself. I also have a lot of silver in the attic and I hate the cleaning so I don't use it much.

I have used all kinds of colors with my pewter. I think you need to use all of the same types/like colors to make it work. The only pieces I really haven't been able to use are my wall sconces. We recently painted our l/r, d/r and foyer a soft gold. In fact, I posted on the home decorating thread asking for ideas, but didn't get much help. The pewter does not look good on the gold wall.LOL

The pewter does look really great with the jewel tones. I use a pewter charger with a glass hurricane and mulburry pillar candle. I think that's why I liked your red flowers with the St. Pat's table, as I am a red accent person at heart. I also mix the pewter with cut glass and/or crystal which I think softens it for different looks. Placemats, table runners, napkins, etc. all lend a hand in softening the look of the metal. I have several serving pieces of Armatel as well. I use different bowls to hold keys and things from my pocket on the desk in my foyer. I just love the look of pewter.

When you think about it, the early colonists mainly used pewter. While silver was used, it was not as commonly used as was pewter.

You're talking to a newbie on the decorating thing as well. I have learned to be a bit more relaxed and have gained alot of creative juices from the gals on this thread.

• yborgal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My place settings are not old. They are the Wilton Armetale Country French pattern bought from The Bowl Company.
    The goblets are in the Plough pattern bought on eBay. I didn't use them this time, but I have crescent shaped dishes from Oneida. I have the Country French butter pats and larger sized coasters. I also have some BonChef "pewter" trays and bowls that I mix in with the table settings.

labmomma, I had gotten so carried away that my closets wouldn't hold all that I had so I sold some of the accessory pieces.

I sold a butter tub, basin pitchers, mortar and pestle,cracker tray,sugar & creamer with matching sugar spoon, small wine goblets and the mugs. I did keep the bowls,soup tureen, covered casseroles and a bunch of trays. Oh, and I did sell the oyster plates since we don't eat raw oysters anymore.

My daughter has a full set of Crown Castle pewter dishes in the same pattern. Those are quite a bit older than my settings, but they are lead-free and can be used safely.

As much as I enjoy using these dishes, it is a real pain to have to handwash every single one of them.

Always the collector, I'm continually looking for the odd piece and I'm thrilled when I discover a treasure at a thrift store or garage sale.

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

Labmomma, thought of you when I just saw the cutest Halloween (yes, Halloween ) Lab figurine on eBay, by Lenox china!

If you like pewter, do you like the Arthur Court stuff? I love their rabbit pieces of course. Have several picture frames and just got the most wonderful 14" charger from eBay. Can't wait to use it somehow in decorating.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Halloween Lab pup

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Karen - The "Devil" is so cute. Thanks for the link. Yes, another obsession, the dogs.... I haven't seen the pieces you mention, do you have pic?

Mona- It's funny that you mention that you had gotten carried away. I am past that at this point. The only thing is, I don't want to get rid of anything. I have a lot of pieces that were hard to find, unusual pieces. You see MIL has same problem and she occasionally brings me a unique piece after antiquing. I could never bring myself to part with any of it...

Since I starting reading this particular thread on a semi-regular basis, I had to move things out of three large two door cabinets in my office to store things. When we installed these cabinets, DH was admamant about not putting too many heavy things inside (he knows me I think). Well the other nite he was sitting in a chair behind me, not thinking, I happened to open one cabinet and he nearly died at the site of all these red bowls, plates and white pasta bowls that I purchased between Christmas and Valentine's day. He has no idea that the next immediate cabinet looks the same:))).

I am going to search the Armatele table settings as soon as I get back from the office tonight. Thanks for the info!

p.s. why did you stop eating oysters? I just started about 10 yrs. ago, nd that has become somewhat of an obsession as well - finding good oysters when out to dinner. I can't believe I have been missing out for so long.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Lab, you would love it here, we have oysters down the block. We get them when we go clamming! I don't care for any RAW seafood, but DH will only eat the ones he has dug. That way he knows where they came from and that they are fresh! You can get mighty sick from bad clams or oysters!
    Don't know anything about pewter, but clam chowder and baked clams, I'm in the loop!

• User
    17 years ago

To give another perspective - these are pewter edged dishes in white. It's a fresh, clean look. They're terribly expensive by Arte Italica, which someday I would like to own the collection, right now, I have settle for knock-offs of a few of the pieces.

{{gwi:1416282}}
    {{gwi:1416283}}
    {{gwi:1416284}}
    {{gwi:1416285}}

• yborgal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Goodness! I love the dishes in the last picture.
    Just so you know Oprah has said she has pewter edged china by Arthur Court in red as well as white. Must be nice!!!

• labmomma
    17 years ago

chijim - those pieces are gorgeous. I have so many old pieces, have to stay with the things I can find that have that used patina. I hope someday you get your wish.

Kathleen - yes, I am a lover of oysters and like your hubby, only enjoy them when I can get them in a place I know has fresh supply. I didn't ever try raw oysters until late in life, but now I am hooked. Besides being a low cal option, they are delicious if you find good ones. I am not a sushi or sashimi fan, but the oysters, yes sir. I'd love you to share a good recipe for baked clams.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Chijim, Those dishes are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them. And I hope you do get them some day.

Kathleen, I don't do oysters or clams, but my DS loves raw or steamed oysters. They are so expensive here. A bucket that is about quart size was $5 last time I bought any. I think there may have been 6 or 7 oysters. They sell the big clusters which I never saw until I moved here.

• User
    17 years ago

Here's some photos of pewter used w/blue.

{{gwi:1416286}}

{{gwi:1416287}}

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

Lab, Arthur Court is not pewter but it's wonderful and would probably go with it. Sometimes I can't tell difference in certain pieces myself. The rabbit frames are my favorite of course, just have two 5x7 ones so far.
    and this big charger I just got is fantastic I think. Rabbits run around the rim of it. Here's an ebay link to AC stuff to see pix if you want of different items.

Arthur Court 14" rabbit Charger I just got
    {{gwi:1416288}}

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Arthur Court items

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

I enjoy following this thread. I don't have alot of pewter only a few pieces my mom left me and they are mostly cups...with the porcelain insert...and a couple of different candleholders

{{gwi:1416289}}

My mom had a large collection but lost alot of the items to my father during the divorce...I remember looking at them when I was little...I would like to add some salad size plates...I'll have to check out ebay...

• judithva
    17 years ago

Wow, great inspiration pics.
    Karen, that is a nice charger love the border.

Tam, those pewter cup holders are very pretty. It is wonderful that you have those memories of your mom and some of her treasures, now yours.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Karen, love your bunny charger. It could be used behind a bunny vignette too--would add a little shine and glamor. ;o) That site sure had allot of bunny items, was fun to look at.

Tam, those are very pretty cups, and so special since they were also something your Mom loved.

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Chijim, I like the pewter with the blue also. It looks like I might have to get some pewter pieces.

Karen, I love your bunny charger. I'm going to check the ebay seller out that you posted. Thanks.

Tamgypsy, You are so lucky to have the pewter cups from your Mother. They are very nice and would add a lot to your table with the addition of some pewter salad plates. And that candle holder is really pretty also.

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Karen, the bunny charger is adorable. I've never dealt with ebay. I have lots of friends who use it for all different types of purchases. I don't know that much about it, but do the buy/sell transactions usually work out well and how do you pay? Also, is there another source for the Arthur Court pieces?

tam - your pieces are wonderful. What a nice collection of tea cups. Do you display them? Also do the inserts come out. I am thinking of all of the things I could do with them if the inserts came out. They are certainly a great reason to host a ladies luncheon. If you could find some salad plates that would be great. I see lots of color combinations possible with your inserts:) Lots of my pieces are family pieces and it is really nice that you have something to remind you of your mom! Thanks for sharing the pics!

chijim - thanks for pics you posted, beautiful tables.

• monablair1
    17 years ago

eBay can be a good source of Arthur Court and Wilton Armetale pieces. It's a safe way to buy if you check to make sure the seller has a good reputation. I have been able to take advantage of closeout sales at Dillards and the Silver Gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver gallery

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

I've bought, and sold, on eBay for many years. Love it.
    You can get some wonderful things at great prices, and things not easily found. I've actually made some really good friends even thru some transactions.

The Arthur Court and Fitz 'n Floyd auctions I check several times a week, just in case a good deal comes along. Like that charger. Of course you can google.com absolutely ANY thing and find stuff. But most stores sell theirs higher than eBay as a rule. Luvs....I'm planning to use the charger in my DR, probably on the buffet. Will put a small vignette on it I think I'll also put my two AC bunny frames on the buffet. At least that is the current thought to play with in there. But the lamps and whippet statues on it are bronze, so will the AC silver color go?? I want those to STAY. Just NO clue what I want to put on the Charger either. I need some good ideas for the buffet and the charger decor. The little table under the silver picture frames is too small for the charger, otherwise would put it there. Tho might end up doing charger somehow on big DR table as centerpiece. Help!!!!!!!!!!!
    Plus gotta see what my big shopping trip with my DD and DDIL bring next weekend!

Buffet now
    {{gwi:1410604}}
    Karen

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Karen, I don't know if your charger will "go" with bronze or not, but I did want to tell you again that I just love your dining room. Just start playing. I know whatever you come up with will be beautiful. And I know you will get lots of good advice from others on here.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Karen, you have such a lovely room, but I certainly am not qualified to offer decorating advice. Hopefully, Judith will see this and offer some of her expertise. ;o) Luvs

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

labmomma...the teacups are in a corner hutch in my livingroom...I haven't used them in any way other then them just sitting on the shelf...yes the inserts come out...but your imagination must be better then mine because I have no clue what to do with them or how to use them...lol...or maybe it is because I am kinda braindead these days...I was home sick for several days with the flu and I am still not 100%...I hate getting sick...:(

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Tamgypsy, I'm sorry to hear you've been sick. It takes awhile to get over that nasty stuff. I know! And I hope you feel better very soon.

As for your teacups besides using them for the obvious, I think a taller glass insert for desserts would be great also. Of course finding the right size might be hard.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Here's several pics to look at. I love the pewter looking dishes on the dining room table. For all I know, they could be pewter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seraph

• patsy1026
    17 years ago

I have been given a pitcher shaped like a swan & signed Arthur Court, along with a matching, unsigned swan soup tureen. The eyes of the swan are sort of an orangy-red stone in both the tureen swan & the swan ladle. I can find no information whatsoever anywhere on Arthur Court swan pieces, including eBay. Does anyone have any ideas about how to date or find out more about these piece? Thanks, Patsy

• jaybird
    17 years ago

Monablair, where did you find the butter pats and coasters? I am in need of coasters in either pewter or silver plate, but have not been able to find them anywhere!!
    Sincere thanks for any info!!

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

Patsy, I tried searching Internet for your swan pieces to no avail. They must be older pieces. Arthur Court did "eyes" like you mentioned in some pieces. The stones are Carnelian. They are probably fairly valuable, wish I could info on them now you've got me curious. Can't believe google had nothing.

Karen

• patsy1026
    17 years ago

Thank you! Karen, I had searched the internet every way I could think of, including "collector of pewter," which I'm happy to say led me to this site. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts & viewing the pictures. I even found the red Arte Italica Winterberry on ebay today & bought a beautiful dinner plate.
    I'm proud to report that I finally heard from the Arthur Court company re the swan pieces. They said that the pieces were produced for only a short time & have been discontinued; that the swan pitcher retailed for about $125. and the tureen, for about $200. The pitcher is marked Arthur Court, but I can't tell if the date is 1980, 1986, or 1988. In any case, the prices quoted were for the pieces in the 1980's. They are absolutely gorgeous & elegant. The pitcher would be breathtaking with gladoli in it. I've never seen any of the swan pieces, even on ebay, so I suspect that those who bought them have kept them. I'm still interested in finding more swan Arthur Court & hope to hear from anyone who has any information of this line. Thanks again VERY MUCH!!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions