SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhwu_gw

Price in-line / out-of-line for 55K wood floors, etc?

jhwu
15 years ago

Hi, we're doing a gut rehab of a 3500 sq ft house split across 4 levels here in the SF bay area. We just got back some bids from GCs, and, quite frankly, we're shocked at the pricing. Now, all the GCs are GCs that our architect recommended... our architect is somewhat of a local "starchitect" in the modern vein, so we don't know if this pricing is because these GCs follow in the same circle.

Get this ....

For 2800 sq ft of white oak (unfinished) its 45 - 55K! At $5 / sq ft for materials, that's ~ $10 - $12 / sq ft of install labor ?!?!?!

For 3.5 bathrooms and a kitchen, the plumbers want about $55K - 60K (!!!!) (no fancy steam showers)

For the drywall, they want $30,000 (class V finish) !!!!

For the electrical, which consists primarily of lots of can lights, the electricians want $50K (!)

For 400 sq ft of terrazzo flooring, they wat 16K - 20K. I thought terrazzo was supposed to be around $12 / sq ft installed?

I know I live in an expensive area of the country, but are these prices for real? They seem crazy to me. The GCs to me seem to be living like its 2007 ... not 2009. Or am I living in a delusional world?

Thanks

Comments (11)