SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dog_mom_gw

Favorite toilet bowl cleaner? How to get rid of that ring?

dog_mom
19 years ago

I loathe cleaning my bathrooms, particularly the toilet. How do I get rid of that stupid ring on the inside of the bowl where the water line reaches?

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner? I've tried them all looking for that miracle product that will make me enjoy the task of toilet cleaning...that must be in my dreams!

Comments (75)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

There is a little handle on a pipe under the toilet tank. Just turn it off all the way. You can test if you turned it the right way by flushing, and if the water does not return to the tank, you turned it the right way. Rightie-tightie; leftie-wettie, as my daughter reminds me. Then flush it again to get rid of any water in the toilet bowl. When you are done, turn the handle back again to refill the toilet tank.

• lisa77429
    17 years ago

"Rightie tightie; leftie-weftie" - best thing I ever learned hahaha. So simple yet so important! I do have a couple of things thare are opposite and it just throws me for a loop everytime.

• Related Discussions

Toilet bowl stain - x-post from plumbing

Q

Comments (4)
    Once clean, I don't think you will have any problem with stains. I am 75 and never had a problem. You just have to clean them often and the ones rarely used need to be flushed occasionally and cleaned. I try to keep the use of chemicals to a bare minimum, so I use soap and water for most cleaning. I use cheap dish washing liquid to clean the stools and have been doing that for 2 or 3 years. If I buy shampoo that I don't like I use it to clean the stool. I haven't seen any problems doing that. My neighbor said, "but it's not sanitary", my reply was I don't drink out of it. LOL
    ...See More

Whats this sticky residue and how to get rid of it

Q

Comments (32)
    Sailfish, No, you don't need to be worried. What happens is that, during heating, the oil changes, and the molecules in it start linking together into long chains. These polymerized oils seem tacky, but generally they're pretty nonstick. Another way of getting rid of them is to simply bake the pan at relatively high heat. Oils are made up of hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon atoms. IIRC, when you start to heat them, you start driving off hydrogen and oxygen atoms, leaving free bonding points on the molecules, which then start clumping together. If you continue to bake an oil at moderate heat (350 to 375), you'll finally drive off all of the hydrogen and oxygen atoms, leaving a fine layer of carbon atoms behind. That is the process by which you "season" a cast iron frying pan to achieve a very durable non stick surface. That layer of carbon atoms is your friend.
    ...See More

Septic owners: keeping toilet bowl clean?

Q

Comments (56)
    I learned this trick from a guy on you tube and it works! My toilet was getting hard water rings, we have well/septic. The ring was impossible to remove. This guy said to pour white vinegar into the bowl, put on some rubber gloves, and make "spit balls" with toilet paper. You dip the TP into the vinegar in the bowl and then apply the soaking TP to the ring. Let is sit over night...sparkling clean in the morning. Just flush!
    ...See More

Cleaning the toilet bowl

Q

Comments (37)
    rob333, this old fogey has discovered that no matter how many myths are busted, there's always more to come. I came back to add that I just tried something that truly surprised me. Was at my neighbor's and he was talking about the terlit buildup lately and it jogged my memory about a cleaner I saw endorsed by several people. Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner. I had bought some and never got around to trying it so I went home and got it and we gave it a shot. Squirted it on, let it sit 5-10 min and gave it a quick brushing and I was really shocked. Half of the crusty buildup came off right away. Wasn't perfectly clean but I wonder if a sandblaster would still have crust on there. I left the bottle for him to give it another treatment in a day or two and see how it works. I don't remember where I read about it so I can't give credit but I'll be buying it from now on. I should also add that I did NOT scrub it either, just a brushing with a well-worn scratchbright pad type toilet bowl "brush". Didn't try it with the pumice stone but I'd venture a guess that pumice would help it too.
    ...See More
  • krissie55
    17 years ago

To lower toilet bowl water level pour a bucket of water in the bowl and water level will go down. No need to turn water off at the water pipe.

• jules_y2kok
    17 years ago

try THE WORKS it wors great

• jackie55
    17 years ago

The works is the worst stuff i've ever used, it doesn't clean at all. I professionally clean and what you do is first clean the bowel with something like lysol with bleach toilet bowel cleaner really well and then put rubber gloves on and stick your hand down in their with a scrubbie with a little soft scrub on it and it comes right off.

Sorry to gross anyone out but it works.

• keekush2
    17 years ago

Whink little brown plastic bottle. Wal mart has it for about 4.00. You pour it (well, squeeze it) all around the toilet and voila! Its gone. Most stains are minerals and rust and this is a rust cleaner. Its fabulous.

• koszta_kid
    17 years ago

You can put little bit of Tang in tank. Let sit over night.Yes the drink you drank when you was a kid.And not hard on PC pipes

• mboston_gw
    17 years ago

I like Sno-Bol. Our house had been empty for over a year and had gross loking toliets when we moved in. Sno- Bol did a great job and I have used it every since.

• elisamcs
    17 years ago

I love this forum. From toilet bowl cleaners to slobby husbands - this is better and cheaper than therapy!

• huck1241
    17 years ago

We have 2 new Toto toilets and I use the pumice stone on them. It will scratch the toilet if the surface is dry, so I always make sure to keep the surface real wet, and the stone too. I will try some of the recommendations here, and if they work I won't have to take a chance with the pumice stone scratching the new toilets. The stone was recommended to clean pool tile, and they said to just make sure you keep the tile wet.

• federalstyle
    17 years ago

I've used a pumice stone, and it was the only thing that totally got rid of the ring (that was after trying everything here that everyone's suggested!)

I also didn't notice any scratching, but the key is to keep the surface and the stone WET while you use it.

My tip is how to reduce the water level in the toilet below the ring without turning off the water.

I fill up a bucket of water and dump the whole thing QUICKLY into the toilet. The water level goes very low, into the "hole" in the bottom and well below the ring.

I don't know if this would work for a "new" toilet. The ones in this house are 20 years old, and this method works perfectly for temporarily lowering the water level (to restore it, just flush!)

• janlynre
    16 years ago

I just learned this tip today from a guy selling "Quick `n` Brite" cleaner at our county fair: Use a plunger to lower the water level in your toilet (no need to turn off water). It works. Now, let's see if the Quick `n` Brite works or if I was scammed...

• sewhappy_2007
    15 years ago

There are a few different versions of THE WORKS, and the one that emphasizes that it is ONLY for toilet bowls is great. My father had a crusty coating on his toilet that his cleaning lady couldn't get off. I tried a few things including CLR and other toilet cleaners. I poured THE WORKS on it (water drained) and it disappeared like magic right before my eyes. The other great thing about THE WORKS is that it is so reasonably priced. Often available at Dollar Stores.

• arizonarose
    15 years ago

We had the ring around the water line that you are talking about and I tried all kinds of cleaners, bleach etc...finally found out from a neighbor how to get rid of it. I used one of those black emery boards that you use for your nails. It has to be the black one and keep it wet. It really works! Now my toilets look like new again.

• MiMi
    15 years ago

Lime A Way is the best stuff to get those stubborn rings off. .just shut off the water supply, which is a valve under the tank, flush the toilet, no more water will run into the bowl then. The just squirt the lime a way in and watch it foam. It will dissolve all the water deposits. . .Debbie

• kathyg_in_mi
    15 years ago

Lefty loosy - righty tighty!
    I swear by the pumice stone, but read somewhere that you could pour a can of Coke in the bowl and flush it the next morning. Sure did work!
    DH says beware, I drink at least 2 cans a day, what is it doing to my stomach!
    Kathy G in MI

• jannie
    15 years ago

I vote for the Clorox Toilet Wand, plastic discs that snap into a handle and work great on getting and keeping ceramic toilet bowls clean.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

What about those streaks running down the sides? Our house is less than 2 years old, the American Standard builder's toilet has streaks down the side and even the one with the "Everclean" coating has a slight ring at the waterline. I really don't want to scratch a new toilet. We must have lots of iron.

• jannie
    14 years ago

Try pouring about a quarter cup of powder dishwashing detergent in, then go at it with a toilet brush. This stuff is very strong, I've used it,yet it wasn't as abrasive as a pumice stone.

• chipster_2007
    14 years ago

Those Clorox toilet wands sound great but will they scratch the surface of a new toto toilet? It sounds like Bar Keepers Friend, black emery cloth and others are abrasive and would scratch the service.

• florabelle1
    14 years ago

Comet Gel & a toilet bowl brush.

• new2gardenfl
    13 years ago

ZEP Acid Toilet Bowl Cleaner from Home Depot works for me everytime. I squirt it in under the rim and allow it to drip down until the bowl is completely coated. I let it site overnight or while I'm at work. Give it a quick swish with the wand and no more stains.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I tried a pumice stone and it scratched up the bowl, leaving gray marks in the porcelain. Wish I'd read this thread before I ruined my toilet. And it's not that old-a Toto put in in 2005. Wah!

• arizonny
    13 years ago

Drywall sandpaper. I use it all the time in my toilets. We have VERY hard water here in the Phx. area. No cleaners ever remove the ring. Drywall paper takes it off effortlessly.

• juddie
    13 years ago

I also am 100% for the pumice stone.It really does work well, and there are no chemicals involved.I was afraid to try this as I thought the porcelain would scratch, but there was no damage.The important thing is to make sure the stone is wet when you rub it against the bowl.Denture tablet thrown in the bowl and allowed to set 5 minutes, and then brushed and flushed.It works wonders.Best of luck, you'll be amazed at how easy it is!

• arizonny
    13 years ago

I think pumice is difficult to use because the curvature of the stone, does not conform to the bowl. This is why I like the drywall paper. I cut it into 3X3ish squares.

Ace Hardware has the little pads (sponge) that you put a piece of drywall paper over. They have a small handle that makes it easy to access the bowl.

• jannie
    13 years ago

When my toilet needs cleaning, I pour a cup of bleach in the bowl and the same in the tank.(Just lift the tank cver off) Let sit overnight, flush in the morning. Works for me. And it smells good the next day. And stay away from pumice-it scratches!

• victorclesi_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I went to Walmart looking for a pumice stone.They didn't have a stone. They had a cleaner called The WORKS for $1.23. I went home and drained the water out of the bowl,put toilet paper around the mineral deposit ring I haven't been able to get rid of for three years, wet the paper with the WORKS. I waited 15 minutes flushed the toilet, and scrubbed the ring with comet for about ten minutes and it is completely gone!!!!!

• DCCecin_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have been reading the posts, especially regarding pumice stones, and I thought of a product that I use for my feet, called Feet First Spa Buffing Pad. It is for buffing calluses and dry skin. I tried it on my three toilets and it did not leave any marks. It is non-abrasive. Cost a bit much, but, it will last a long time.
    You can feel it scrubbing the calcium away. My house is about 7 years old and we are gone for the winter and the calcium really builds up. Can't wait to try it on the 12 year old winter home toilet rings.

• SharperClean
    12 years ago

Toilet bowl cleaners kill all the nasty germs left behind in your toilet bowl. They make it easier to remove the entire stuck on gunk. Disinfecting and cleaning your toilet bowl will help prevent illness in your family. Personally, I have had great experiences with "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. I�m not sure how many of you have heard of it, but it works great. Even when more popular brands do not work, it does. It removes the entire gunk and kills the germs. It may not smell great, but it does its job

• Alley76cat_comcast_net
    12 years ago

Used all suggestions here and nothing worked with the exception of one thing....400 grit Piece of sandpaper kept very wet to avoid scratching. It worked within seconds!!! Came right off!!! Pumice stone wouldn't conform in shape therefore couldn't get into all spot and was scratching even when kept wet, and didn't remove the ring! The sandpaper kept wet removed it right away and didn't scratch.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

The Works works wonderfully well for me. We have hard water. Due to an illness in the family, I was not on hand to clean the toilets. When I returned hard sediment had built up in the bottom of the toilets and would not budge. I went to Dollar General store, purchased The Works for toilets, squirted some in each toilet, let it sit overnight. The next morning swished the toilets with the brush and did not even have to fight to get the sediment gone. It flushed down the drain. I am now a very firm believer in The Works.

• betsyhac
    12 years ago

another vote for the Works. Most of the time, if I let it sit awhile, I don't even have to scrub.

• nopopups_hotmail_co
    12 years ago

Magic erasers and Barkeeper' Friend.

• wbgroovy
    12 years ago

We have hard water and nothing works like The Works. I get it for about a dollar a bottle at Dollar General store.

• LitLexiMom
    12 years ago

The BEST BEST stuff I have ever used for my toilet is Iron Out. Our softener stopped working for about a week and the orange rust buildup was horrible in my tub/sinks and toilet. I used it in my dishwasher my washing machine everything for the whole week. I thought no point in cleaning the toilet so it was really bad. Once it was fixed I turned the water off to the toilet drained what I could and shop Vac'd the rest of the water out and sprinked Iron out in the bowl and the tank let it sit overnight and in the morning turned the water back on flushed and VOILA a beautiful clean white toilet. I get it at walmart in the hardware section for about 9 bucks the stuff works wonders! I use it regularly when the ring comes back and let it sit for about an hr. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!

• ginger25
    12 years ago

Never scrub! It's the best. You can order it online from CVS. Very easy to install. http://uniquebrandsusa.com/

• tgearing
    12 years ago

I'm embarrassed to say that we moved into our home 11 years ago and the first thing I wanted to replace was a toilet in what must have been a rarely used bathroom because of the ring was extremely bad. The toilet always looked dirty even after cleaning. Well. . . 11 years later I still have that SAME toilet with the same ring! Gross, I know. I had tried CLR, tried Bleach, and many other products but nothing phased it. Tonight I bought a pumice stone and 180 grit regular sandpaper (not the wet dry kind). Then I came home and found this thread. It was after midnight but I couldn't wait to try it. I remembered we just bought a gallon of vinegar so I started out by pouring the whole gallon into the bowl. I did NOT turn off the water but I made sure it was lower than the ring. Even after adding the Vinegar my water line was still about 1 inch under the ring. I started out by scrubbing with the 180 grit sandpaper. Lo and behold, it worked! It took some elbow grease and about 20 minutes but 11 years worth or ring came off and my bowl is NOT scratched. I did try the pumice too and that was a joke. The shape of the pumice made it almost impossible to lay flat against the ring and it just felt too abrasive. The 180 grit sandpaper was gentle but effective. I also want to say that I would NOT recommend doing this with a dry bowl. As i scrubbed I was moving in a circular motion and dipping the sandpaper down into the vinegar/water to keep things wet. I don't think it would have come off as easily without the vinegar, and I think a dry bowl would be harder to scrub and would have a greater potential for damage. I can't believe I lived with that gross toilet all this time when vinegar and sandpaper works!

• Cindy1961
    12 years ago

Our bathroom in our apt. gets that ring. I tried CLR, I tried scouring it with a scour pad, I tried diet coke, seltzer water, vinegar, you name it. Then, one day I bought this toilet bowl cleaner called "The works" at the dollar store (they also sell it at WalMart, but it costs a little more there) I put some in the toilet, cleaned, and went to bed.

The next day I could have sworn the ring was lighter. So, I put the entire bottle in, along with about half of another bottle. Let it sit for hours, came back, scrubbed it.

The ring came off!

I was a little worried that the stuff might be too harsh if it works that well, so I normally use the Clorox brush, but I keep a bottle of it and about once a month, I scrub the toilet with it. Haven't had a ring since.

• marys1000
    12 years ago

So many harsh chemicals being flushed into our environment. I just try to ensure a reasonable level of cleaness with the least harsh thing I can find and not worry about it too much.

The sandpaper block sponges sound like a cool idea.

Can't believe someone is taking pumice to a Toto. I thought the whole purpose of a Toto was its ultra smoothness helped it keep itself clean.

• msflora
    12 years ago

To get the water level in the bowl below the stain line, simply push the water down and into the drain with your toilet brush. It works...unless you've thrown it out in favor of the Clorox Wand

• mwhitnell
    12 years ago

Ok, I think that these solutions probably don't work. I have found cutting strips of paper towels in 1" strips soaked in swimming pool muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) placed around the bowl for a few hours will loosen and remove some of the lime. To really remove the rest use a sgl blade razor blade and scrap the remainder. This will not scratch the porcelain. And the residual acid will remove any left over steel residue. Oh by the way acid does not burn the skin as you have been lead to believe. If you don't believe, just put your finger in a bowl of acid. Only sodium hydroxide or other strong hydroxides such as drain cleaners can burn the flesh. The movies have it all wrong.

• emma
    10 years ago

Hey I have Toto! Maybe that is why I don't have rings. That and maybe because I clean the bowls twice a week with dish washing liquid. The key to having a clean toilet bowl is cleaning it often. Once a day if you have a large family, it doesn't take more than 60 seconds with a brush the above mentioned liquid.

• LE
    10 years ago

There are obviously different types of rings, which is why different solution s may or may not work. We have soft water, but when we return from a 2 week vacation and some has evaporated, we get a stubborn ring. It isn't that we are slobs who don't know how to clean a toilet when we are home, as some posters have suggested!

My DH used pumice on one of our toilets to get at a ring and now that one builds up much faster than the other one, so I do think there are some micro-scratches from the pumice. Will try some of these other option this time.

• nerdyshopper
    10 years ago

The most common stains are removed with acid cleaners. In the 1940's it was Sani-Flush. That was sodium acid sulphate. More recently the products all were hydrochloric acid based and those are my favorites. I usually use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner I get at Costco. Products like Clorox toilet bowl cleaner are caustic and rely on oxidation of chlorine bleach to discolor stains and the detergent action of caustic to wash the surface.
    I would suggest that those of you using pumice, Zud, sandpaper, or other abrasive cleaners try rubbing it on the outide of a window or drinking glass and try looking through it. You will see that there is fine haze there. I tried a magic eraser and ruined the glass on a sliding back door that way.

• ssf806
    10 years ago

Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl cleaner or the Works---both available at the Home Depot

• kreagen
    8 years ago

What a great forum! I used 220 grit sandpaper and some vinegar and could not believe it came right off. This is after using all of the cleaners mentioned above. We have hard water and the ring has been there for years. I love this no-chemical solution. Just remember to keep the sandpaper wet.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The two common abrasives used in sandpaper - aluminum oxide and silicon carbide are considerably harder than pumice. On the hardness scale: common glass 5-6, pumice 6, sandpaper abrasives 9-9.5, and diamond 10. I don't know exactly how hard the surface of a toilet is but I don't think much more than ordinary glass. Wet or not, using sandpaper to clean your toilet will remove hard water deposits but is likely doing permanent damage to the surface of the toilet.

Kohler recommends Bar Keepers Friend for iron stains.

• shugee
    7 years ago

I had success with measure_twice's brilliant idea to use toilet paper against the side of the ring to keep the cleaner in contact with the problem area instead of it sliding off and drying before it can work. I first poured a bucket of water down the toilet drain to empty the bowl, then sprayed lime cleaner everywhere I needed, then used torn half pieces of Kleenex tissue to place over problem areas, and finally sprayed over the tissue. As directed, I let it set several hours, flushed the paper away then used a toilet brush to scrub a little. I had pretty bad buildup so it took a few applications to completely disappear, but I saw improvement right away. Easy and no damage to my Toto.

• Elizabeth Andersson
    7 years ago

Lysol liquid in the black container. Very strong. Open the Windows..run the fan. Best cleaner ever!